Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:41 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Most voters still agree with President Obama’s new policy allowing some young illegal immigrants to get legal work permits, but they strongly oppose also making these young people eligible for driver’s licenses or taxpayer-funded benefits.
63% Oppose Driver

If most oppose tax-funded benefits for DACA applicants, wait until they realize a huge chunk of Obama's deferred action will be tax-funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
63% Oppose Driver

If most oppose tax-funded benefits for DACA applicants, wait until they realize a huge chunk of Obama's deferred action will be tax-funded.
From the link - Seventy-three percent (73%) of Likely U.S. Voters believe someone brought to this country illegally when he or she was under 16 years old who has no criminal record, has graduated from high school or served in the military should be allowed to apply for a legal work permit.

Apparently, the public is misinformed. Illegal immigrants cannot serve in our military nor should they be in it presently.

It still defies logic that 73% of Americans would be in favor of giving any illegal immigrants work permits with so many unemployed Americans. I wonder who was polled? Certainly not low or middle income wage earners who are looking for jobs. Must have been mostly employed Americans who are under no threat of losing their job to an illegal immigrant because of the high skills or education required to hold the jobs that they have. I wonder how many were polled that have some kind of personal or vested interest in allowing illegal immigrants to remain in our country? The public needs to wake up and get educated on this issue. Sounds like they have bought into the rhetoric that they are only doing jobs that Americans won't do and that most are only picking crops.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From the link - Seventy-three percent (73%) of Likely U.S. Voters believe someone brought to this country illegally when he or she was under 16 years old who has no criminal record, has graduated from high school or served in the military should be allowed to apply for a legal work permit.

Apparently, the public is misinformed. Illegal immigrants cannot serve in our military nor should they be in it presently.

It still defies logic that 73% of Americans would be in favor of giving any illegal immigrants work permits with so many unemployed Americans. I wonder who was polled? Certainly not low or middle income wage earners who are looking for jobs. Must have been mostly employed Americans who are under no threat of losing their job to an illegal immigrant because of the high skills or education required to hold the jobs that they have. I wonder how many were polled that have some kind of personal or vested interest in allowing illegal immigrants to remain in our country? The public needs to wake up and get educated on this issue. Sounds like they have bought into the rhetoric that they are only doing jobs that Americans won't do and/or the ridiculous crop picking argument.
It certainly does defy logic. With 23 million citizens unemployed, it's absolute insanity to support granting illegals the legal right to work. But, I knew there would be backlash over driver's licenses and in-state tuition. Actually, I was planning not to vote for the first time, until I remembered the MD in-state tuition referendum. There is no way I'm not voting against that.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well I hope they send emails to their Governors to act quick.

With that many opposed to it no wonder his campaign is losing the crowds.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
They definitely should not be given drivers licenses. Obama has promised they can go for any job they like here, but why should they think this entitles them to anything else?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,369 times
I knew when work permits were part of the deal that driver's licenses wouldn't be far behind. Next I look for food stamp and Medicaid eligibility to be granterd.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It certainly does defy logic. With 23 million citizens unemployed, it's absolute insanity to support granting illegals the legal right to work. But, I knew there would be backlash over driver's licenses and in-state tuition. Actually, I was planning not to vote for the first time, until I remembered the MD in-state tuition referendum. There is no way I'm not voting against that.
It certainly defies logic. Majority support them getting work permits, yet they don't want them to legally drive, be insured? Doesn't make sense at all.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
It certainly defies logic. Majority support them getting work permits, yet they don't want them to legally drive, be insured? Doesn't make sense at all.
It makes LOTS of sense: it's called another "trick" LE has in forcing illegal aliens OUT of the US. Obama don't speak for most Americans. Sheesh!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It makes LOTS of sense: it's called another "trick" LE has in forcing illegal aliens OUT of the US. Obama don't speak for most Americans. Sheesh!
Neither do you or the hardline immigration forum posters on here. Let's just wait till November to see if he is rewarded with a second term or not.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:01 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Reading comments on news articles referring to illegal aliens, at least 90% of respondents are against anything that benefits them. People want no driver's licenses, social services, birthright citizenship, amnesty, dream acts for them, or special treatment for those brought here illegally as children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration