U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,352,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
We already have an expanded ability for workers to enter, the H2A visa has no cap limit, all the worlds poor can enter on it, yet it never reaches more then about 30,000 visas per year.. There are numerous unused visas, the TN comes to mind here (Mexico and Canada NAFTA visa).

You're broad brushing what you want conservatives to be by over generalizing the argument. You claim to listen to what conservatives say by the words they type, yet fail in recognizing the distinctions they make.

Simple reality is defined in terms not over generalization and broad brush strokes.
Great post....

Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
This nation's illegal immigration is a direct result of the amount of legal immigration from certain nations that is allowed.

In other words, the people who are against illegal immigration are also against greatly expanding legal immigration which would reduce illegal immigration. To pretend to the two are separate is fantasy thinking.

The people who are against immigration believe that too many people from the wrong kinds of nations are coming into this country and those people are destroying the country.
Uh; there's NOTHING wrong with really slowing down legal immigration for a few years. We DON'T need more people in the US and we really DON'T want or need "hillbillies" from places like Mexico, we have plenty of "low end" people who are already US citizens. Sheesh!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM

8,399 posts, read 5,076,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
While I appreciate your unsourced article from "usimmigration support.org," let's look at the REALITY:

Mortgage Prospects Dim for Illegal Immigrants:

Dubbed ITIN mortgages, the loans that made homeownership a reality for thousands of undocumented workers have withered -- although not because they underperformed.

Mortgage Prospects Dim for Illegal Immigrants - WSJ.com

And THIS source is from 2008, which was right before the housing market crash. Since then, lenders have tightened up tremendously. With "stated income" mortgages and higher credit score thresholds now the norm for buying a home (have you tried, recently, to understand the process?)... one imagines the amount of "illegals" buying homes just aint what it used to be.
Look man, you said undocumented immigrants didn't have any mortgages to suggest that they didn't pay for public school. Not only do they own homes, they pay rent which goes to landlords that enable them to pay for their property taxes.
I disproved that. Now please deal with reality.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 AM

10,395 posts, read 8,346,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
This time, it's in True Blue Alabama where the Republican dominated legislature passed a law requiring school systems to check the citizenship status of enrolling children.

The 11th US Circuit Court said that's un-constitutional.

Court: Ala schools can’t check student immigration status; police can ask for suspects’ papers - The Washington Post
Do you people understand the difference between LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigration????????

Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Several people have already informed you (to no avail) of the generosity of the United States. Not only are we THE most welcoming country, but we admit more LEGAL immigrants than ALL other countries combined. Since you believe our immigration policies are racist, and that most opponents of illegal immigration actually only want to limit immigration from the "wrong kind of nations," perhaps a little visual exercise will help you comprehend just how clueless you truly are.

Please note that Mexico, while sending us the lion's share of ILLEGAL aliens, is also at the top of the waiting list of those approved for legal immigration, which, by the way, is due solely to family sponsorship. The list below is the combined total. But, you can click the link to see each category. Also, please note which countries dominate the employment-based list. In other words, these are immigrants that actually bring skills to this country. Hint: Not Mexico. So, which "wrong kind of nation" are we restricting legal immigration? And, which "wrong kind of nation" should have its numbers increased?

Oh, BTW, these folks are being required to wait longer to accommodate Obama's new deferred action. After all, USCIS already had a huge backlog. They certainly can't make Dreamies their priority and also handle legal immigration. But, I suppose you have no problem with that.

Country Applicants

Mexico 1,374,294
Philippines 503,266
India 343,401
Vietnam 281,439
China-mainland born 248,494
Dominican Republic 171,217
Bangladesh 161,769
Pakistan 118,985
Haiti 112,450
Cuba 85,908
El Salvador 83,221
Jamaica 66,016
Korea, South 64,020
Colombia 61,430
All Others 948,489

Worldwide Total 4,624,399

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/WaitingListItem.pdf

First off you cannot read for comprehension. I have repeatedly written that I am not calling for expanding legal immigration. What I am doing quite effectively is showing the liars that so many conservatives are when they claim they love legal immigration.

If you dislike illegal immigration which is the direct result of our legal immigration policies and you think that legal immigration is great, then greatly expanding legal immigration solves the illegal immigration problem.

Conservatives don't want that because they have an issue with more than just illegal immigration, they have a huge problem with where the immigrants are coming from. This is what this immigration thing for conservatives boils down to.
They believe too many people from wrong kinds of nations are coming to this country and destroying it.

This is the conservative position. This is what they believe and every single conservative save one who has engaged me in this topic has admitted they don't want more immigration, they think we have too much, they think the immigrants coming here are third worlders, who are a burden, etc.

Everyone of them who has engaged with me has proven my point over and over again. They don't want more immigration, they generally think of immigrants as a drain, etc and so. The very things I have detailed already, they agree with me.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
So you completely dismiss the economic argument against illegals based on your ideology of illustration?
The economic argument is that immigrants expand our economy.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No its not.

Thats why its in an illegal immigration forum.
Yes they those links to the articles are about both legal and undocumented immigrants and how they benefit the economy. Please deal with reality.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,133 times
Quote:
The economic argument is that immigrants expand our economy.
That's right, "skilled" immigrants do, there is no denying that, yet all economists agree that "unskilled" immigrants do not expand our economy, they actually cause it to detract, they actually cost us about -1% of GDP yearly (-$14B - 2010) on top of their social costs.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 08-22-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,133 times
Quote:
Look man, you said undocumented immigrants didn't have any mortgages to suggest that they didn't pay for public school. Not only do they own homes, they pay rent which goes to landlords that enable them to pay for their property taxes.
I disproved that. Now please deal with reality.
You might try going back and reading/comprehending the claims made by TriMT7 (#166), he questioned how many own homes vs rent, never made the claim you are attempting to say. He then went on to claim that the little they pay in property taxes are not enough to cover the costs of their children in public schools. Maybe you should think about comprehending the arguments vs attempting to claim you know conservatives are liars based on your failed comprehension. I'm just sayin.

Quote:
First off you cannot read for comprehension. I have repeatedly written that I am not calling for expanding legal immigration. What I am doing quite effectively is showing the liars that so many conservatives are when they claim they love legal immigration.

If you dislike illegal immigration which is the direct result of our legal immigration policies and you think that legal immigration is great, then greatly expanding legal immigration solves the illegal immigration problem.

Conservatives don't want that because they have an issue with more than just illegal immigration, they have a huge problem with where the immigrants are coming from. This is what this immigration thing for conservatives boils down to.
They believe too many people from wrong kinds of nations are coming to this country and destroying it.

This is the conservative position. This is what they believe and every single conservative save one who has engaged me in this topic has admitted they don't want more immigration, they think we have too much, they think the immigrants coming here are third worlders, who are a burden, etc.

Everyone of them who has engaged with me has proven my point over and over again. They don't want more immigration, they generally think of immigrants as a drain, etc and so. The very things I have detailed already, they agree with me.
Funny how you claim everybody else needs to "comprehend" yet you fail miserably at it.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Stealing someone's SSN and using it as your own is a felony.

BTW, if it costs taxpayers $10,000 to send just one illegal alien's child to our schools, that eliminates every tax you claim they have paid. If that same illegal alien family gets free school lunches, free social welfare assistance, that further increases their burden on society. In other words, they end up being a net loss, because the tax monies they receive far out weight the taxes you claim they pay. Then, if they use our emergency rooms as their free clinic, then we are forced to pay an even heavier burden to support them.
Yes, it is a felony. Those undocumented workers should be punished.

I have claimed nothing. Yes, you hate "illegals", they are a burden blah, blah, blah. I already wrote that is how conservatives feel. Why write that stuff to me?

I have looked into the arguments for and against undocumented workers. I don't support demonizing and lying. I don't support scapegoating. I don't support those ideas. That is a conservative thing, find the enemy, Lie about the enemy to rally around hating that enemy, and then pass legislation to punish the enemy.

Keep up the good work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or