Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Stop lying.

Immigrants also have money automatically deducted directly from their paychecks —even those who are here illegally. But how? Well, the Social Security Administration estimates that 75% of undocumented immigrants are actually on formal payrolls and are paid by check just like anyone else. They get on the payroll by using fake or fraudulent social security numbers or social security numbers of the deceased, which are easily available from counterfeiters for a couple hundred dollars. A growing number of undocumented immigrants now file their income taxes using Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs). ITINs are issued by the IRS for filing purposes only and do not provide permission to work. According to the most recent estimates, at least 3 million unauthorized immigrants filed income taxes using ITINs in 2009. (NOTE: the IRS does not report undocumented immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security.)

Sales Tax: Every time you buy something, you pay sales tax. That money goes to state and local governments. Staying at a hotel or renting a car, you pay state and local taxes. If you fill up your gas tank, you automatically pay state and federal gasoline taxes. If you buy liquor or cigarettes, you automatically pay various local, state, and federal excise taxes. Immigrants—legal and illegal—all buy things, and thus pay these taxes as part of their purchase.

Property Tax: Local governments also collect property taxes, which are a percentage of the value of one’s home and fund services like schools, certain medical services, and police and fire stations. Immigrants—legal and illegal—pay these taxes directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent (clearly, landlords factor property taxes into rent).
No, I'm not lying. Schools are not funded with FICA from payroll taxes. Schools are not funded from state sales tax either.

How many illegals own a home vs rent ?

Like I said, schools are funded via property taxes and possibly Fed money (Title 1).
Most illegals rent and are very transient. They pay very little into a system but take out alot.

You need to educate yourself on where your various taxes go and how funding works.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM

640 posts, read 717,535 times
Quote:
Stop lying.

Immigrants also have money automatically deducted directly from their paychecks —even those who are here illegally. But how? Well, the Social Security Administration estimates that 75% of undocumented immigrants are actually on formal payrolls and are paid by check just like anyone else. They get on the payroll by using fake or fraudulent social security numbers or social security numbers of the deceased, which are easily available from counterfeiters for a couple hundred dollars. A growing number of undocumented immigrants now file their income taxes using Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs). ITINs are issued by the IRS for filing purposes only and do not provide permission to work. According to the most recent estimates, at least 3 million unauthorized immigrants filed income taxes using ITINs in 2009. (NOTE: the IRS does not report undocumented immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security.)

Sales Tax: Every time you buy something, you pay sales tax. That money goes to state and local governments. Staying at a hotel or renting a car, you pay state and local taxes. If you fill up your gas tank, you automatically pay state and federal gasoline taxes. If you buy liquor or cigarettes, you automatically pay various local, state, and federal excise taxes. Immigrants—legal and illegal—all buy things, and thus pay these taxes as part of their purchase.

Property Tax: Local governments also collect property taxes, which are a percentage of the value of one’s home and fund services like schools, certain medical services, and police and fire stations. Immigrants—legal and illegal—pay these taxes directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent (clearly, landlords factor property taxes into rent).
a) I doubt the Social Security Adminstration's estimate. Further, when one gets a tax credit for a deduction it results in a zero net gain.

b) Show me an illegal immigrant that owns property...just one.

You can argue all day about the potential good derived from cultural diversity and legal immigration and I'll have your back but to even imply that illegal immigrants aren't a financial drain on our communities is dishonest.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
I don't care. What I care about is illustrating the craven nature of conservative political ideology.

I don't care about amnesty.
If you don't care you would ignore this thread.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Wow. You really can't distinguish between an ILLEGAL immigrant and an LEGAL immigrant can you? You can't grasp the fact that people are not against LEGAL immigration, but are opposed to ILLEGAL immigration. It is the ILLEGALS that are destroying the economy of this country as they are nothing but an economic burden. Where they are not contributing, they are taking.

Those that legally immigrated to the US are not eligible for government handouts.
Those that legally immigrated are expected to follow the laws of the US with no exception. They are treated the same as a citizen.

What we have today with ILLEGAL immigrants are a protected class who are allowed to break laws repeatedly, getting a discount pass to higher education, enjoy government handouts and when they should be deported, they are being given deferred deportation. They are protected by the President of this country. If a green card holder is arrested - they get deported. If a green card holder lets his/her card expire - they get deported. There is no deferred deportation for them. If they cannot support themselves they have to leave.

You want everyone who wants to come to the US because they want to, be allowed in? Yes, let's open our doors to people who are uneducated and unskilled flood the country. Do you think anyone who is established in their own country would want to leave their country? It's those at the bottom that want to enter the US and become bottom feeders.
I know conspiracy theories abound from those who want to explain and justify their dislike of some population of people.

For conservatives conspiracies about special privileges that the groups of people they don't like receive from the government are very, very common and both serves the conservative need to find an enemy that is destroying the nation and justifies their hatred of the government that serves those people.

If someone is against illegal immigration, and they support legal immigration then logically that person should support greatly expanding legal immigration to get more of the immigration they like and less of the immigration they don't like.

So do you support greatly expanding legal immigration?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Did you note the PC term for ILLEGAL ALIENS as being "undocumented immigrants"?
Undocumented immigrants sounds like - good drivers with out a drivers licence...a supposedly minor infraction if one at all. Why not just get rid of the idea of people having to have insurance and a drivers licence...or a permit for a gun? If the government wants to use such rhetorical titles for people entering America without the proper documents...perhaps the government should make a concerted effort to set up efficient programs that would document the immigrants instead of sitting by and doing nothing...maybe it's just a boring task and officials are not willing to do real bureaucratic labor?

Nothing worse than governmental bureaucrats not wanting to be bureaucratic. What are they there for if they don't want to do the work? Like I said...when these problems come across their desk- they push the pile of papers to the side and go to lunch...It's not some sinister conspiracy...it is old fashioned laziness.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
did you note the pc term for illegal aliens as being "undocumented immigrants"?
lol

Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
She thinks she is being sneaky and coy so she fakes denial. She cares a great deal about defending those here illegally in our country. She considers white conservative Americans as being an obstacle to her agenda so she constantly demonizes them when most white conservatives or any other loyal Americans want is our immigration laws respected and enforced and have no problem with legal immigration in reasonable and diversified numbers.
I know.
Also using terms such as "expanding legal immigration" as another word for amnesty.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Press 1 for English.
Spanish verbiage all over.

Exactly no proof.

What claim I made & what proof you asked for?

What people?
This nothing more than amnesty.
So private companies serving their companies or local governments serving their citizens is losing this nation's culture and national identity to you? You have a very weak understanding of national identity and culture.

The proof of what people think is based on the words they use. So the proof of what I wrote about conservatives is contained in the words of conservatives.

Evidently to you expanding legal immigration is amnesty, okay. Some people who study immigration want to greatly expand it to benefit the nation.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan;

The illegals would still be illegals even if you expanded legal immigration because they wouldn't meet the requirements.

This.

There are already visas for in-demand, low skilled labor.

Illegal immigrants don't want to be bothered with the process, and businesses don't want to be bothered with the paperwork.

There are REQUIREMENTS to being accepted as a legal immigrant in this country. Just as I cannot pick up and decide I want to move to Canada, or China.... or Mexico! on my whim. I am subject to qualifying under whatever criteria the governments of those countries.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wrong.

Legal Immigration CAN be a societal good.

Sometimes, it is neutral or even detrimental to society.

Which is why we have LAWS, quotas, and CRITERIA in the first place.

"Let's increase the numbers and we solve the problem" doesn't solve a damn thing. We need VALUABLE immigrants. With skills and educations. THAT will help us grow stronger as a nation. We can't be the end of a rubbish pipe flowing from the third world, where lazy nations and governments send the people they don't want to have to deal with.

Again, THAT model worked back in the 1890s... the world is a vastly different place today.

Again, I don't know where you disagree with me. You represent the very thinking I have been pointing out. You don't want to expand legal immigration because you think too many people from the wrong kinds of nations are coming to this country and destroying it. You are against immigration period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration