Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM

640 posts, read 717,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Illegal immigrants don't want to be bothered with the process, and businesses don't want to be bothered with the paperwork.

There are REQUIREMENTS to being accepted as a legal immigrant in this country. Just as I cannot pick up and decide I want to move to Canada, or China.... or Mexico! on my whim. I am subject to qualifying under whatever criteria the governments of those countries.
Well, according to some, by virtue of showing up one should be allowed to claim the benefits of citizenship in the United States...and to question that implies racism or zenophobia.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why is self deportation a joke? Why should any illegal receive any benefit other than a bus ride back home?

The line is already long with legal immigrant applicants.

Fact is there are not enough jobs to support all the people that want to come here.
There is not enough natural resources.
Housing
Schools
ETC

As the radio program “This American Life” reminded its audience on Tuesday, there is an argument to be made that the term self-deportation was invented in 1994 by two Mexican-American satirists, Lalo Alcaraz and Esteban Zul. That year, “sickened” by a ballot initiative known as Proposition 187, which aimed to prohibit illegal immigrants from using state-run hospitals and schools in California, the comedians began posing as conservative activists who backed the measure.

The two men started a satirical media campaign to support the initiative, faxing radio and television stations a fake news release that touted the benefits of “self-deportation centers” and invited reporters seeking more information to call a Latino Republican and “militant self-deportationist” named Daniel D. Portado. Eventually the men founded “Hispanics Against Liberal Takeover,” or Halto, and produced a mock radio ad, in which Portado claimed to support “California Gov. Pete Wilson’s self-deportation message.”

Lalo Alcaraz
Daniel D. Portado in 1994.
Apparently unaware that Portado was a fictional character, in November 1994 the Spanish-language channel Telemundo invited him to appear on television defending the proposed ballot initiative just days before voters went to the polls. The comedians accepted the invitation, and Mr. Alcaraz showed up, pretending to be Portado, with Mr. Zul at his side, playing the part of the conservative activist’s bodyguard. In an e-mail to The Lede on Tuesday, Mr. Alcaraz recalled, “I was in character at the Telemundo show, and neither the participants nor the producers were aware of our true identity.” Two years after the event, Mr. Zul told The Chicago Reader, “It was the longest half-hour of my life.”

Mr. Alcaraz, who is now an award-winning editorial cartoonist and the editor of the Chicano humor site Pocho.com, is convinced that California’s governor at the time only started using the phrase self-deportation after it was injected into the body politic by the satirical news releases.

If legal immigration were greatly expanded then the line would get a lot shorter. According to most economists immigrants are a net positive for the economy.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73
Some people who study immigration want to greatly expand it to benefit the nation.

In what ways will "expanding immigration" benefit the nation, or otherwise deal with the problem of ILLEGAL immigration?

SKILLED immigrants tend to have no problem coming here. They are in demand. They add to the brain trust and strength of the nation. Flooding the unskilled or working class labor market with foreigners HURTS people of lower socioeconomic status. Often, people of color.

ILLEGAL immigrants are ILLEGAL because they do not otherwise meet any demand the United States legitimately has.... other than to fuel an appetite for near-slave labor. That is illegitimate.

WHat you fail to see is that if you made every current illegal immigrant's status "legal," tomorrow, you would take away the black market demand for their presence in the country. The appeal of illegal labor is that they work outside of the law, outside of regulations and legal protections. Today's "former illegal" is tomorrow's "unemployed, unskilled laborer," supplanted by an illegal that takes their place.

This isn't rocket science stuff.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Cooler heads will always prevail. To approach the courts full of passion and emotion does not work. The anti-immigration complainants should have showed up with solid and logical information and evidence instead of the face of hatred.
I agree.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
HUH

We already have more legal immigrants coming here than any other nation on earth.

This should be enough.

If we expand it we will loose our country. Is that what you want?
You're correct. We already allow in the number of legal immigrants annually that we can accomodate in jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens so we should allow in more even though we don't have the ability to accomodate more?

The problem is that there are more immigrants that want to come here than we can accomodate. Do some people just lack common sense and logic? Where do we drraw the line? When all the 2 billion impoverished across the world are allowed to come here regardless of what it does to our own citizens and country?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:02 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Lol, criminals.

So is a person a criminal if that person speeds in their vehicles? The person broke the law after all.

Is a person a criminal that person jay walks? That person broke the law after all.

Is a person a criminal if that person drinks before being 21? The person broke the law after all.

Is a persona a criminal if they smoke before 18? The person broke the law after all.

See the point I make, is that people regularly break the law yet are not considered criminals.

In fact, the whole point of discussing undocumented immigrants and crime is to associate immigration and immigrants with criminality.

The fact is if legal immigration were greatly expanded, then many of the people you now consider criminals wouldn't be.

You are not debating me. You are agreeing with me.
What you presented is a straw man fallacy.

Instead of responding to my assertion that Illegal Immigrants are criminals, you bring up other seemingly marginal crimes that have no relationship to violating a sovereign country's borders.

Are you a product of the government school system? Google the following terms: rationale, logic, and reasoning, then get back to me.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
So private companies serving their companies or local governments serving their citizens is losing this nation's culture and national identity to you? You have a very weak understanding of national identity and culture.
What did I say in my previous post? Certainly not what has been deflected here.
What is culture to you? & what is loosing it?

Quote:
The proof of what people think is based on the words they use. So the proof of what I wrote about conservatives is contained in the words of conservatives.
We'll trust your lips to Gods ears.

Quote:
Evidently to you expanding legal immigration is amnesty, okay. Some people who study immigration want to greatly expand it to benefit the nation
There are no benefits.
Like one poster said it was good during the industrial revolution of the 1800's since our economic base was expanding and has not reached full capacity & there was lots of work available. We were a new & young nation. Global population growth was a lot lower than what it is now.

Currently there are too many people on the planet. Over 6billion to use depleting natural resources. The math doesn't add up to support all these people. Yet you want to expand more people into our country.

We import many natural resources. One mainly oil which is the blood of this economy. This is coming from many countries that don't particularly like us. If that dries up we are screwed.

There is no benefit to added more people in our long line of legal immigration.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You're correct. We already allow in the number of legal immigrants annually that we can accomodate in jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens so we should allow in more even though we don't have the ability to accomodate more?

The problem is that there are more immigrants that want to come here than we can accomodate. Do some people just lack common sense and logic? Where do we drraw the line? When all the 2 billion impoverished across the world are allowed to come here regardless of what it does to our own citizens and country?
And most of them will be poor and will come for our social programs. We have the richest poor in the world when you compare poverty conditions around the world.

"Brave New World" comes to mind today when the issue of immigration comes up.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because those that come here illegally are typically dirt poor. Expand immigration to take them in would financially crush our social welfare system with the flood of applications.

The illegals would still be illegals even if you expanded legal immigration because they wouldn't meet the requirements.
First I don't know if undocumented immigrants are so dirt poor that they wouldn't meet the current requirements if legal immigration were greatly expanded. But expanding the requirements so more people are eligible would still solve that particular issue as well.

So again, you another conservative who agrees with me. Conservatives aren't just against illegal immigration, they are against immigration period because they think too many people from the wrong kinds of nations come to this country and destroy it.

I don't know why this simple reality is so difficult for conservatives to admit is what motivates their anti-immigration views.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
They are law breakers.

They did not legally come here so they are illegally here.
Oh but didn't you know that if an American breaks the law that should mean that it is justified for illegal aliens to come here by the millions? The fact that when an American breaks the law and is caught they are punished for it is of no consequence to the clueless I guess. Illegal immigration (breaking the law) is punishable by deportation. So why should Americans who break the law get punished but not illegal aliens? I guess every country in the world should not have immigration laws because afterall their citizens break laws also? Can this argument defending illegal aliens get any more ridiculous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration