Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, I'm not lying. Schools are not funded with FICA from payroll taxes. Schools are not funded from state sales tax either.

How many illegals own a home vs rent ?

Like I said, schools are funded via property taxes and possibly Fed money (Title 1).
Most illegals rent and are very transient. They pay very little into a system but take out alot.

You need to educate yourself on where your various taxes go and how funding works.
Here I'll repost the relevant information for you so you can correct your illogical thinking and stop lying.

Property Tax: Local governments also collect property taxes, which are a percentage of the value of one’s home and fund services like schools, certain medical services, and police and fire stations. Immigrants—legal and illegal—pay these taxes directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent (clearly, landlords factor property taxes into rent).

Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
First I don't know if undocumented immigrants are so dirt poor that they wouldn't meet the current requirements if legal immigration were greatly expanded. But expanding the requirements so more people are eligible would still solve that particular issue as well.

So again, you another conservative who agrees with me. Conservatives aren't just against illegal immigration, they are against immigration period because they think too many people from the wrong kinds of nations come to this country and destroy it.

I don't know why this simple reality is so difficult for conservatives to admit is what motivates their anti-immigration views.
No. It has nothing to do with a nation. I'm against letting poor, uneducated people applying to come here and jump on the social welfare bandwagon.

Get rid of ALL the social welfare programs so that every person must earn their way in life and then you can open the borders to all. That's my stand on immigration.

The only entitlement programs would be SS and medicare, both of which workers pay into.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Allen 242 View Post
a) I doubt the Social Security Adminstration's estimate. Further, when one gets a tax credit for a deduction it results in a zero net gain.

b) Show me an illegal immigrant that owns property...just one.

You can argue all day about the potential good derived from cultural diversity and legal immigration and I'll have your back but to even imply that illegal immigrants aren't a financial drain on our communities is dishonest.
I don't care what you doubt about the Social Security Administrations reality based factual information. I understand that the information that is supplied directly contradicts your fantasy justification for why you hate illegal immigrants.

So you really think that there is not one undocumented immigrant that doesn't own a home? Lol

Again economists say that immigration is a net economic positive for this nation.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Again, I don't know where you disagree with me. You represent the very thinking I have been pointing out. You don't want to expand legal immigration because you think too many people from the wrong kinds of nations are coming to this country and destroying it. You are against immigration period.

You sure are dense, aren't you?

It isn't the ORIGIN of the immigrant that is important, it is the SKILL and VALUE of the immigrant to the United States, regardless of the origin. It's why we have tons of Indians, etc. coming to the United States with no problem to work in the tech and medical fields.

Illegals tend to not have any skill that is in demand.... other than a willingness to work hard for cheap for unscrupulous employers.

Flooding the United States with millions of poor people from ANYWHERE is NOT A BENEFIT.

I'm sorry if you might have some sort of ethnic affinity with the geographical origin of the majority of illegal immigrants in this country. That, however, is your personal problem.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh but didn't you know that if an American breaks the law that should mean that it is justified for illegal aliens to come here by the millions? The fact that when an American breaks the law and is caught they are punished for it is of no consequence to the clueless I guess. Illegal immigration (breaking the law) is punishable by deportation. So why should Americans who break the law get punished but not illegal aliens? I guess every country in the world should not have immigration laws because afterall their citizens break laws also? Can this argument defending illegal aliens get any more ridiculous?

Its a double standard & their argument gets more ridiculous by the second. They try to use fancy criminal names to blend in such as undocumented, dreamers, brown etc.... That argument is old.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Here I'll repost the relevant information for you so you can correct your illogical thinking and stop lying.

Property Tax: Local governments also collect property taxes, which are a percentage of the value of one’s home and fund services like schools, certain medical services, and police and fire stations. Immigrants—legal and illegal—pay these taxes directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent (clearly, landlords factor property taxes into rent).

Landlords pay property taxes regardless of their rents, or whether or not they have tenants.

Otherwise, they lose their properties.

And maybe you haven't ever paid a property tax bill.... but I assure you the kinds of places where the poorest illegal immigrants live usually don't assess high enough to cover the education of just ONE child. Let alone any other benefits that may be derived indirectly or directly.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Your post had FICA and sales tax as funding schools.

That's not me being illogical.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Landlords pay property taxes regardless of their rents, or whether or not they have tenants.

Otherwise, they lose their properties.

And maybe you haven't ever paid a property tax bill.... but I assure you the kinds of places where the poorest illegal immigrants live usually don't assess high enough to cover the education of just ONE child. Let alone any other benefits that may be derived indirectly or directly.
It costs an average of $5K per child per year to educate.

Get a family of 4/5 living in a one bedroom rental. There's no way that one apartment pays $15K a year in property taxes.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
In what ways will "expanding immigration" benefit the nation, or otherwise deal with the problem of ILLEGAL immigration?

SKILLED immigrants tend to have no problem coming here. They are in demand. They add to the brain trust and strength of the nation. Flooding the unskilled or working class labor market with foreigners HURTS people of lower socioeconomic status. Often, people of color.

ILLEGAL immigrants are ILLEGAL because they do not otherwise meet any demand the United States legitimately has.... other than to fuel an appetite for near-slave labor. That is illegitimate.

WHat you fail to see is that if you made every current illegal immigrant's status "legal," tomorrow, you would take away the black market demand for their presence in the country. The appeal of illegal labor is that they work outside of the law, outside of regulations and legal protections. Today's "former illegal" is tomorrow's "unemployed, unskilled laborer," supplanted by an illegal that takes their place.

This isn't rocket science stuff.
FRBSF Economic Letter: The Effect of Immigrants on U.S. Employment and Productivity (2010-26, 8/30/2010)
http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/sit...d%20061912.pdf

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/pubs/...anuary2011.pdf
FactCheck.org : Does Immigration Cost Jobs?
Coming to America: The Benefits of Open Immigration | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty
Immigration Reform and U.S. Economic Performance - Council on Foreign Relations

These are all articles about how immigration would help the US economy.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
There are a couple of things to note here after reading through all the responses:

1. Educating illegal immigrants is pragmatic. It might not fit someones ideology, but the alternative is millions of unproductive people who cannot read or write lounging around on the welfare rolls because they can't get a job. And, they can't get a job because they're uneducated. Moreover, the public schools are where we were all "Americanized" and is where they too will learn to be American's.

What's wrong with that?
You left out the option of sending back to where they came from.

Quote:
2. Illegal vs legal. It's pretty simple. Why do you think there are between 10-20 million people here illegally if not because they could not come here legally? Paying a coyote to sneak you across the blistering Arizona desert really isn't the preferred method of coming to America for anyone, even those who have done it. Every one of them would have rather come here legally, but the system is so unwieldy, time consuming and expensive that it's easier and quicker to just sneak in. When you have a house full of hungry children to feed, jumping through the hoops for several YEARS to obtain legal entry is a non-starter.
There is a portion that come here illegaly because they would not be allowed in legally. Many have criminal records. If the system is unyiedly and we need the workers the answer is to fix the system, not open the borders. There is not a single country anywhere that has open borders. Not even Mexico. There is a valid reason for that.

Quote:
The point is that if you want to end illegal immigration, make it easier to come here legally. How hard is that to understand?
So, why is this not the position the government is taking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration