U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What will the possible flood of new job applicants mean for small business owners? And how should small employers deal with existing employees who present work authorizations along with admissions that they were not previously authorized to work?

The trickier situation will present itself when existing employees, who may have passed off phony documents, come to their bosses with EAD cards, Starkman says: “That puts employers in a really tough situation that may be damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don’t.” Some employers will not take kindly to such news and consider the lie grounds for termination, particularly if the employee works in a sensitive position of trust. Others may value the employee enough to overlook the past deception and continue the employment.

If an employer chooses to terminate based on the employee’s admission, he should be aware that he could face a potential discrimination claim, Starkman says. “They’re out of work because you fired them, and there are lawyers out there ready to pounce.” The main defense in such a case is documentation that the business owner requires the same standard of honesty from all employees, whether they are “the blonde, blue-eyed secretary born in Ohio or the employee with a Latino surname,” Flynn says.
Lawyers Expect Young Immigrants to Flood Small Employers - Businessweek

How on earth can an employer be charged with "discrimination" for firing an employee who lied on an application, and presented a fake or stolen SSN? This is going to be very interesting. If illegals are excused, it will indeed set a precedent. Employers can't have one set of policies for legal employees, and another for illegal aliens. If company policy states an employee will be terminated for submitting false information or fraudulent documents, the policy must apply to all.

But, that's right, they won't be competing against our youth for jobs. They are all picking crops, and love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
I hope they sue; the more cases like these we can put in front of the public, the worse it makes these illegal losers look.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
What ever happened to character & ethics?

This will not sit well with many legal potential job applicants.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
What ever happened to character & ethics?

This will not sit well with many legal potential job applicants.
You even see illegals in I.T. They're just not Latino. They're Indian.

It's staggering how many of those Indians are out of status. I personally knew of one at another job...I even reported him to ICE. Nothing happened...he's still here.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:58 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,551,884 times
I think this is just some blowhard trying to use "fear". Typical Obama tactic.

How many citizens were terminated from their job because they gave false information - maybe on their education or previous employment - hardly a criminal offense. Will Obama tell employers that using false documents and someone else's SS number - a criminal act - to secure employment should not be held against them?

An employer hires someone based on trust that the information on an application is true, as signed off by the candidate. Applications may also state that if at some time after hiring that it had been determined that false information had been provided, it can be grounds for dismissal.

80,000 out of 1.8 million with an education above high school.

Quote:
The MPI estimates that 80,000 of the potentially eligible beneficiaries have an associate’s degree or higher, 44 percent have a bachelor’s degree, and 8 percent have advanced degrees.
Next on Obama's EO agenda: (1) Change Federal employment laws and order states to do the same. (2) Notify employers that illegals must be preferred hires. Everyone else, regardless of how qualified, goes to the back of the line. I mean, we do owe it to illegals to give them every opportunity possible, don't we?? After all they are the future of America and are going to make great contributions to our work force and economy.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You even see illegals in I.T. They're just not Latino. They're Indian.

It's staggering how many of those Indians are out of status. I personally knew of one at another job...I even reported him to ICE. Nothing happened...he's still here.
Yes there are illegals of many nationalities.
Politicians & government is allowing this to happen with no enforcement.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Yet another term for the Illegal to English Dictionary.

Discrimination = refusing to hire an illegal for a job. Alternatively firing an illegal from a job once you find out he's an illegal felon who forged documents to get the job. Remember illegals have the civil right to hold American jobs if it can benefit them economically, you selfish American! American citizens must respect this right even in the middle of a nasty recession or admit they are racists.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Small business people are alot more astute than you think. They cannot afford the fines that the big corporations do for hiring illegals. They are more picky.

A small business that hires illegals is usually local and, depending on the community, word will get around quick and they do not prosper. I've seen it happen in my local community especially in the areas of electrician, plumber and well drilling.
There are some areas of business where consumers will not tolerate companies employing illegals.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
What happened to "employment at will"? You lie on an application or resume, you are fired, no matter when the discovery is made.

I would like to see these illegal aliens up in arms so attention can be on them and their ridiculous demands.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
What happened to "employment at will"? You lie on an application or resume, you are fired, no matter when the discovery is made.

I would like to see these illegal aliens up in arms so attention can be on them and their ridiculous demands.
Exactly! So, are we now to only have at-will employment for citizens and legal immigrants? If they allow illegals to remain employed after discovering lies and fraud, then I would like to know how they would ever justify firing a citizen for doing the same.

Of course, I read that some Dreamies aren't planning to tell their current employer. Rather, they'll work there until they find another job, and then present their shiny new SSN and work permit. How very special. I was going to link to the comments, but surprise, surprise, the thread has been deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or