Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
California's a nightmare because of illegals. The state is deeply in debt and has a lousy educational system. This is largely due to vast numbers of illegals that live there. They're parasites. I have no idea why anyone wants to hand them a driver's license. All that will do is make their invasion official.
I assume you can read. So I suggest you read the previous posts I made, including quotes on California agriculture.

I also urge you to read up on which state in our union is the most productive with the highest GDP and which provides the greatest contribution to our nation's GDP ... hint: it's California. Now liabilities of debt are relative to income. The reality that California was hit hard by the national and world economic crisis -- in California's case, almost entirely as a result of the housing collapse -- is temporary ... one need only to actually take the time to become informed as to how well the other industries of California are doing: agriculture, IT, investment capital, education, medicine -- I can go on. It is a truly unique economy in the world. In fact, even in today's economic world crisis, California ranks as the world's 8th largest economy. The state possesses a range of resources and infrastructure unparalleled in the world.

Do you note how many times I use the word "world" in the above comparisons? You can try that with Oklahoma or Nebraska or Louisiana if you'd like, but it won't work.

If you are concerned about drains on the U.S. and California economies, I suggest you turn your concern to tax-evasion as performed by a huge percentage of U.S. citizens ... perhaps even yourself. Tax-evasion costs the nation $335 billion dollars a year.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM

62,868 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
No. I surely don't think these deferred will do field work. I never said they would. And that is not the issue being discussed. Read my posts more carefully. I respond to others' comments about field work. And that said:
I don't have any question about how our lettuce is being picked. I did not bring up the "lettuce" example ... I responded to it as a generalization for produce field work ... which is, by and large, heavily dependent on immigrant labor as almost no Americans -- except those of direct Mexican descent - will do the work. The estimates of illegal field labor are 80%, not 3%, if that's what you are inferring.

Regardless of "unlimited visas for foreign crop pickers", that isn't how the industry has been functioning in reality now is it? If your observations are that produce will be picked and handled and packed by machine, please explain to us why produce is rotting in California's fields as we write. Hint: it is because of a lack of workers. If Americans will do the work, please explain why they aren't and there is a 15% unemployment rate in Fresno.
California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever' - Yahoo! Finance

Yes. I lived near Fresno at one time.
Please provide a link that crop pickers are comprised of 80% illegal workers, thanks. If illegal immigrants are being deterred from coming here to pick crops because of tighter border controls that wouldn't be an issue for those who are willing to come on a temporary visa now would it? So what's stopping them from applying for them? Is it perhaps that they know they can make more money and have more permanancy from working other jobs in this country? Tighter border controls don't seem to be stopping them from coming here for those other jobs.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I assume you can read. So I suggest you read the previous posts I made, including quotes on California agriculture.

I also urge you to read up on which state in our union is the most productive with the highest GDP and which provides the greatest contribution to our nation's GDP ... hint: it's California. Now liabilities of debt are relative to income. The reality that California was hit hard by the national and world economic crisis -- in California's case, almost entirely as a result of the housing collapse -- is temporary ... one need only to actually take the time to become informed as to how well the other industries of California are doing: agriculture, IT, investment capital, education, medicine -- I can go on. It is a truly unique economy in the world. In fact, even in today's economic world crisis, California ranks as the world's 8th largest economy. The state possesses a range of resources and infrastructure unparalleled in the world.

Do you note how many times I use the word "world" in the above comparisons? You can try that with Oklahoma or Nebraska or Louisiana if you'd like, but it won't work.

If you are concerned about drains on the U.S. and California economies, I suggest you turn your concern to tax-evasion as performed by a huge percentage of U.S. citizens ... perhaps even yourself. Tax-evasion costs the nation $335 billion dollars a year.
I'm concerned about all of the waste and fraud of our tax dollars whether it be citizens or non-citizens guilty of it. When an American tax cheat or welfare fraud is caught they pay the price. What price do illegal immigrants pay for the same crimes? According to Obama they won't be deported unless it is a felony charge.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
So now they can vote?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:

You still didn't counter my point.

The financial stats on California are not pleasant. I suggest you go look them up. California is a nightmare right now because it has embraced, coddled and welcomed low skilled Mexican migrants with all sorts of senseless state funded benefits. It makes no sense to argue that Mexico's underclass is going to save us.

If you really want to bring other nations into it then go ahead. Other nations don't have the kinds of absurdist immigration policies the pro-illegals want. They don't welcome low skilled, badly educated people who break their immigration laws. They certainly don't do so in the middle of a recession when millions of their own people are unemployed.

We cannot possibly remain competitive in the world while being forced to cater to a racist ethnic lobby that tells certain groups of people to come here without permission, preparation, English skills or a means of support and make ludicrous demands on us. It's ironic you talk about tax evasion as many illegals are not only felons, forgers, high school drop outs, non-literate in any language, monolingual Spanish speakers but are also working with stolen social security numbers, filing false tax returns and working off the books.

Handing them a driver's license is the last thing we should do for such people.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Please provide a link that crop pickers are comprised of 80% illegal workers, thanks. If illegal immigrants are being deterred from coming here to pick crops because of tighter border controls that wouldn't be an issue for those who are willing to come on a temporary visa now would it? So what's stopping them from applying for them? Is it perhaps that they know they can make more money and have more permanancy from working other jobs in this country? Tighter border controls don't seem to be stopping them from coming here for those other jobs.
Here. You are entirely welcome.

I don't generally quote Huff-post for verifications, but I will this time because it is a quick easy one ... and confirmation of the claim can be found in a variety of other sources readily available. If you want more, just google it yourself: Agriculture Industry Fears Disaster If Illegal Immigration Enforcement Program E-Verify Is Implemented

As to your other claims and questions, I suggest you do your own research. You are wrong on each count. Or you can continue to rely on your beliefs rather than facts. Your choice.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm concerned about all of the waste and fraud of our tax dollars whether it be citizens or non-citizens guilty of it. When an American tax cheat or welfare fraud is caught they pay the price. What price do illegal immigrants pay for the same crimes? According to Obama they won't be deported unless it is a felony charge.
Again, this is not true. The current administration has made it a priority to deport felons above others. However, other illegals are deported daily. Deportations have been running at the highest levels ever. Felons first. I think that is a smart prioritization, don't you?

Illegals caught in fraud or crime of any kind are treated no better than U.S. citizens. If their crimes are felonies, they are deported, as well.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So now they can vote?
No. But you are free to believe that if you prefer to get excited about the fiction.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Another case of the democratic-controlled govt pandering for the latino vote. Not surprising. We'll see more of this.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Here. You are entirely welcome.

I don't generally quote Huff-post for verifications, but I will this time because it is a quick easy one ... and confirmation of the claim can be found in a variety of other sources readily available. If you want more, just google it yourself: Agriculture Industry Fears Disaster If Illegal Immigration Enforcement Program E-Verify Is Implemented

As to your other claims and questions, I suggest you do your own research. You are wrong on each count. Or you can continue to rely on your beliefs rather than facts. Your choice.
Interesting that the Huffington Post didn't back up its claims with a source or link isn't it? They are a leftist, illegal immigrant sympathizer site. I wouldn't buy anything they have to sell.

I did google and Pew disagrees with them. Just click on the links within the article. They also state that only 3% of illegal immigrants are picking crops. Here is a clip from the article backed up by Pew.

"About 3 percent of illegal immigrants were working in farming and related sectors, according to Pew, which was well below the percentage working in service occupations (33 percent), construction and extractive jobs (17 percent), production, installation and repair (16 percent) and transportation and moving (8 percent). A subsequent Pew study pegged the number working in farming and related sectors slightly higher, at 4 percent."

PolitiFact | Facebook post says "less than 2 percent of illegals are picking crops, but 41 percent are on welfare"

I will repeat the questions in my post. What is your opinion of why they aren't applying for the temporary visas to come here and pick crops since you are the one claiming they aren't coming here illegally anymore because of tighter border controls? They would have no need to worry about that if they came the legal way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration