U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Republican leaders have endorsed an immigration-platform plank for next week’s GOP convention that supports Arizona-style laws aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration.

The move likely will appeal to conservatives but could alienate Hispanics at a time when Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney is trying to woo Latino voters.
Moderator cut: quote shortened
GOP draws line on immigration - News from The Arizona Republic

It's about time. I was beginning to think illegal immigration was off-limits for this presidential campaign.

Related article:

Quote:
The distance — at least on paper — between the Republican party and mainstream Hispanic organizations was highlighted on Wednesday when the National Hispanic Leadership Agenda, a coalition that includes 30 of the country’s largest Latino groups, issued a list of proposals it will promote at both the Republican and Democratic conventions. The coalition endorsed passage of the Dream Act for all undocumented students as well as “comprehensive immigration reform” to give millions of other illegal immigrants an “earned path to legalization.”
Moderator cut: quote shortened
Republican Immigration Platform Backs 'Self-Deportation' - NYTimes.com

That's right. We should grant amnesty to all illegals, have open borders, and eliminate our laws. We should also surrender our sovereignty. After all, we now live in a global economy. As such, the USA should become the designated dumping ground for the impoverished, uneducated, and miscreant populations of the world. Of course, preference must be given to those from Spanish-speaking nations.

Last edited by Yac; 08-24-2012 at 02:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

It's about time. I was beginning to think illegal immigration was off-limits for this presidential campaign.

Related article:

That's right. We should grant amnesty to all illegals, have open borders, and eliminate our laws. We should also surrender our sovereignty. After all, we now live in a global economy. As such, the USA should become the designated dumping ground for the impoverished, uneducated, and miscreant populations of the world. Of course, preference must be given to those from Spanish-speaking nations.
Good for the GOP!! I just wish Mitt Romney will come out and make his position clear on this issue already.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:

Related article:

"Demilitarize" our southern border? I wasn't aware that the military is down there. If these Hispanic advocacy groups are in fact referring to the Border Patrol instead what about potential terrorists and criminals that would slip right through along with job seekers?

I am glad that the Republicans are going to address this problem in a way that favors our laws and soveirgnty. They shouldn't be worried about the Hispanic vote because Obama has already drawn back in the disgruntled ones with his DACA. Hispanics typically vote Democrat anyways. He will neither lose or gain votes from the Hispanic community so no need to pander. He needs to focus on what is right for America and Americans.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"Demilitarize" our southern border? I wasn't aware that the military is down there. If these Hispanic advocacy groups are in fact referring to the Border Patrol instead what about potential terrorists and criminals that would slip right through along with job seekers?

I am glad that the Republicans are going to address this problem in a way that favors our laws and soveirgnty. They shouldn't be worried about the Hispanic vote because Obama has already drawn back in the disgruntled ones with his DACA. Hispanics typically vote Democrat anyways. He will neither lose or gain votes from the Hispanic community so no need to pander. He needs to focus on what is right for America and Americans.
Frankly, I'm sick of hearing about the Hispanic vote. We all know their numbers wouldn't be this large without millions of Hispanic illegal aliens. As you said, Obama has their votes. We need someone who will care more about the citizens of this country, rather than foreign interlopers. Obama should be ashamed of himself.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 PM

288 posts, read 169,790 times
Quote:
Frankly, I'm sick of hearing about the Hispanic vote. We all know their numbers wouldn't be this large without millions of Hispanic illegal aliens. As you said, Obama has their votes. We need someone who will care more about the citizens of this country, rather than foreign interlopers. Obama should be ashamed of himself.

The hispanic vote is a reality, to make it simple, it is expected that it will turn Texas democrat by 2016, and once that happens the electoral college mathematic will become impossible for the gop, and it will be too late to correct the anti spanish attitude in the gop......

Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Arresmillao View Post
The hispanic vote is a reality, to make it simple, it is expected that it will turn Texas democrat by 2016, and once that happens the electoral college mathematic will become impossible for the gop, and it will be too late to correct the anti spanish attitude in the gop......
The Hispanic vote doesn't mean much. There are only 50 million Hispanics in this country and that includes those who are illegal immigrants and they can't (or shouldn't) vote. We have a total of 315 million Americans in this country. Do the math. Curious to know what you would call the anti-Spanish attitude by the GOP.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Hispanic vote doesn't mean much. There are only 50 million Hispanics in this country and that includes those who are illegal immigrants and they can't (or shouldn't) vote. We have a total of 315 million Americans in this country. Do the math. Curious to know what you would call the anti-Spanish attitude by the GOP.

yeah u r right only 50 million, who cares, with potential 30 million voters in 2016, out of a potential pool of 150 million voters, the only problem is that elections are always decided by a few million votes, so guess who has the deciding vote, ha, ha, ha

Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Quote:
yeah u r right only 50 million, who cares, with potential 30 million voters in 2016, out of a potential pool of 150 million voters, the only problem is that elections are always decided by a few million votes, so guess who has the deciding vote, ha, ha, ha
You seem to be basing your claims on the population of Hispanics vs registered Hispanic voters, of which in national elections the (R's) get atleast 30% to as much as 42% of the Hispanic vote. For Hispanic voters in Texas, not all are registered, not all are (D's) even though Texas appears to be a minority majority state. I highly doubt Texas will become a blue state in 2016. Presidential elections are decided by the electoral college, not the population (Bush v. Gore - Gore had more population votes, yet Bush won the electoral college). The electoral college is decided on "swing states" for the most part. This year there aren't many Hispanics voting in the northern swing states and the only 2 that will have an OK number of Hispanics voting will be Florida (1) Cubans vote mostly Republican) and Colorado which doesn't have a large enough legal Hispanic voting base to determine any outcome.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You seem to be basing your claims on the population of Hispanics vs registered Hispanic voters, of which in national elections the (R's) get atleast 30% to as much as 42% of the Hispanic vote. For Hispanic voters in Texas, not all are registered, not all are (D's) even though Texas appears to be a minority majority state. I highly doubt Texas will become a blue state in 2016. Presidential elections are decided by the electoral college, not the population (Bush v. Gore - Gore had more population votes, yet Bush won the electoral college). The electoral college is decided on "swing states" for the most part. This year there aren't many Hispanics voting in the northern swing states and the only 2 that will have an OK number of Hispanics voting will be Florida (1) Cubans vote mostly Republican) and Colorado which doesn't have a large enough legal Hispanic voting base to determine any outcome.

I think u r not far from the truth, elections are indeed decided in the swing states, but for the gop to have their holy grail, texas, go democrat will be a lethal blow, because they may win all the swing states, and not get near the electoral votes of the democrats, that's why the republicans, want to get rid of the electoral college(since it is more convenient for them now). Regarding FL, it is true the cubans still vote republican, however not heavily republican like in the past, now it is 60-40, and cubans are no longer the predominating population of spanish voters in florida, they are surpassed 3 to 1 by the combination of portorricans, colombians, venezuelans, nicaraguans, etc. and these are heavily democrat, I think the days of the gop are counted, too late to try to stop the influx of spanish illegals.....

Last edited by El Arresmillao; 08-30-2012 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
So there are only 20 million Hispanics under the age of 18 and citizens that don't vote? I don't think so. Why didn't you answer the question I asked in my post? ha, ha, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or