U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. – Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant is the latest governor to order state agencies not to provide public benefits to immigrants receiving deferred deportation status from the federal government under the Obama administration.

Bill Chandler, executive director of the Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance, said Bryant's executive order might eventually be challenged in court. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security said earlier this month that each state could determine whether to issue driver's licenses or extend benefits such as in-state tuition to immigrants who are granted deferred status.
Mississippi Governor is Latest to Bar Benefits for Undocumented Immigrants | Fox News Latino

How can this be challenged in court, when DHS and the White House have already acknowledged this is a state issue, not federal? Why would they even waste tax funds to fight states on this, knowing they are well within their rights? Obama certainly can't issue an EO requiring states to ignore their laws to accommodate DACA recipients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,549,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Mississippi Governor is Latest to Bar Benefits for Undocumented Immigrants | Fox News Latino

How can this be challenged in court, when DHS and the White House have already acknowledged this is a state issue, not federal? Why would they even waste tax funds to fight states on this, knowing they are well within their rights? Obama certainly can't issue an EO requiring states to ignore their laws to accommodate DACA recipients.
Oh, Oh!!!! Once again, I smell another Executive Order in the making!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:40 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,957,888 times
A more important question is, why are illegals getting any kind of benefits? This is why illegals stay, because they are granted benefits originally entitled to citizens of this country. This is why so many subsidies are are drying up, because they are being exhausted by so many illegals. Citizenship is given so easily, many of these new immigrants as well initially came here illegally, and do nothing but hurt our economy.

If benefits (which they are not entitled to anyway) are withheld, illegals would have no choice but to self-deport. This concept was what allowed Romney to become the Republican nominee. Then he slammed the door in everyone's face that originally voted for him, hoping to get a few Hispanic votes.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:01 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,854,475 times
I mentioned this in another thread but in Illinois our taxes keep going up to pay for the illegals using the system (sources have said as high as 75%)while the disabled and elderly and the truly poor are cut. Why we give them benefits I don't know and it frustrates me. It's even worse because I know many people out of work who need assistance and are denied because they are childless while illegals get welfare no quesitons asked.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:36 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
A more important question is, why are illegals getting any kind of benefits? This is why illegals stay, because they are granted benefits originally entitled to citizens of this country. This is why so many subsidies are are drying up, because they are being exhausted by so many illegals. Citizenship is given so easily, many of these new immigrants as well initially came here illegally, and do nothing but hurt our economy.

If benefits (which they are not entitled to anyway) are withheld, illegals would have no choice but to self-deport. This concept was what allowed Romney to become the Republican nominee. Then he slammed the door in everyone's face that originally voted for him, hoping to get a few Hispanic votes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I mentioned this in another thread but in Illinois our taxes keep going up to pay for the illegals using the system (sources have said as high as 75%)while the disabled and elderly and the truly poor are cut. Why we give them benefits I don't know and it frustrates me. It's even worse because I know many people out of work who need assistance and are denied because they are childless while illegals get welfare no quesitons asked.
It's a very sad state of affairs. Yes, illegals receive all tax-funded benefits and services, simply because our government refuses to enforce our laws. If this country would stop being so accommodating, illegals would leave. Of course, our so-called leadership knows this, which is why the opposite is done. They want them to remain. They also want more to come.

This is why we have had a do-nothing Congress for years. It is also the reason the government continues to extend unemployment benefits. What better way to keep millions powerless and dependent? DACA is just the icing on the cake. Prepare for third-world existence.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:33 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Obama's EO was 200% gray in the area of state benefits. I think that was done on purpose.
He could have easily said that in one sentence in his EO that they were "not eligible for any state benefits" but then he would look like the bad guy..right ? Now, he's the good guy and the states are the bad guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or