U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times

Advertisements

I have a great idea! How about Obama revising his requirements for those illegal immigrants getting in on DACA and receiving work permits to pick crops so they won't be rotting in the fields? Since the scuttlebutt is that Americans won't do those jobs it is a a win-win for the farmers/growers and the DACA recipients will be guaranteed a job, not be in competition for those jobs against Americans and they'd all be legal and all. Most of them are young so physical labor shouldn't be a problem for them. I mean how bad do they want to remain here? Brilliant I say, just brilliant!

Maybe one of our fellow Dream Act advocates could pass this on to our commander in chief. What ya say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:33 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have a great idea! How about Obama revising his requirements for those illegal immigrants getting in on DACA and receiving work permits to pick crops so they won't be rotting in the fields? Since the scuttlebutt is that Americans won't do those jobs it is a a win-win for the farmers/growers and the DACA recipients will be guaranteed a job, not be in competition for those jobs against Americans and they'd all be legal and all. Most of them are young so physical labor shouldn't be a problem for them. I mean how bad do they want to remain here? Brilliant I say, just brilliant!

Maybe one of our fellow Dream Act advocates could pass this on to our commander in chief. What ya say?
C'mon, Oldglory, you don't actually expect our future rocket scientists, engineers, and doctors to pick crops, do you? Plus, I heard if we don't give them DLs they won't be able to start businesses and employ millions of citizens. No, those nasty back-breaking jobs are better left for those still without deferred action. These DACA recipient high school dropouts, welfare queens, tax evaders, and ID thieves are the cream of the crop. But, kudos for the brilliant idea!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM

31,888 posts, read 14,685,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
C'mon, Oldglory, you don't actually expect our future rocket scientists, engineers, and doctors to pick crops, do you? Plus, I heard if we don't give them DLs they won't be able to start businesses and employ millions of citizens. No, those nasty back-breaking jobs are better left for those still without deferred action. These DACA recipient high school dropouts, welfare queens, tax evaders, and ID thieves are the cream of the crop. But, kudos for the brilliant idea!
Thanks. My solution would only be for the two years of their deferred action. They could still attend school or pursue other interests at night or their off time.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,836,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thanks. My solution would only be for the two years of their deferred action. They could still attend school or pursue other interests at night or their off time.
Unfortunately, it would be considered racist and discriminatory to even suggest they pick crops. But, all joking aside, I agree with you. If they truly want to remain here and contribute, they would be willing to pick crops. After all, don't we keep hearing about crops rotting in the fields?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM

1,017 posts, read 557,964 times
Ah, excuse me, but crops aren't rotting in the California fields. Where does this stuff come from?? Just another "scare tactic" for those who accuse law-abiding citizens of all sorts of evil toward their criminal brethren.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:26 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,553,112 times
Aren't there enough folks in Calfornia prisons to do some field work?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
That's the whole problem. The age 16-30 year old illegals have just been given work visas so they can take the jobs Americans would want, because illegals really don't want to do farm work either. Now the illegals won't do farm work.

There are fewer than 800,000 total jobs in farming for the whole USA and they are declining 3% every year. But even with so few jobs and 30 million illegals living in the USA, there are reports that the jobs are going unfilled.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You would think so. It wouldn't have to be the serial murderers and rapists and pedopiles who are given the opportunity to work. Dead beat fathers, bad check writers, those people locked up for smoking pot, embezzlers, shoplifters and so on could be put to work and help pay back their debt to society.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM

7,249 posts, read 6,428,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I'm not sure on the legality of that or even the desirability of doing so.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I'm not sure on the legality of that or even the desirability of doing so.
What about all the non-violent prisoners they're always talking about -- the pot smokers, the bad check writers, the dead beat fathers. Maybe some of them would like the opportunity to work in exchange for earlier release.

I'm sure it's legal because they let the county jail inmates here clean streets to reduce their time, earn money to pay off unpaid traffic tickets and fines.

Having potheads picking lettuce could only be bad if they mistook the lettuce for their drug and smoked it. Some say that 3/4 or more of the people in prison are only there because they used marijuana so at least they could be put to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration