Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then tax the **** out of them. Give them lower payouts until they make up the difference in payment. And only allow them access if they have a job lined up. Any job. Mandate no food stamps for 5 years unless you're working. If they lose their job, you'll be deported within the first two years of your arrival. Kind of a trial citizenship.

The Romans did that, and they lasted much longer then 200 years.
You can't get blood from a stone. If they bring their kids with them we have to pay for the education of their kids. That costs about 7k per kid. So that's 14k for two kids. So suppose they're making ten bucks an hour because most are hispanic nationals who don't speak English, don't have an education and can't command any decent wages in the workforce. That means about 20k a year. That means you're asking them to live on 6k a year. They can't live on 6k a year here.

Your plan is simply unworkable and unrealistic.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
You can't get blood from a stone. If they bring their kids with them we have to pay for the education of their kids. That costs about 7k per kid. So that's 14k for two kids. So suppose they're making ten bucks an hour because most are hispanic nationals who don't speak English, don't have an education and can't command any decent wages in the workforce. That means about 20k a year. That means you're asking them to live on 6k a year. They can't live on 6k a year here.

Its not blood from a turnip if they have to have a job. Damn

Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.
Wrong Jackson. I've worked in factories and shops all my life. I love my work. I think this kind of work would do our kids a great deal of good, maybe instil some work ethic in them and harden their character. Seems all they are good for anymore are excuses and entitlement. And we wonder why American labor is UNCOMPETITIVE on the global market??? Because the illegals have destroyed the structure of our workforce, economy, and livelyhood. My dad remembers a time when working with your hands was a respectable living. Today, the kids sit on mom and dad's couch and look down on honest work. Why did this happen? Because illegals derailed the structure of our workforce, our wage structure and even our economy. While we wait for something to come along and pry the young Americans off mommy's couch, the illegals will keep doing these jobs, for a wage most Americans cannot live on, and the cycle will continue... Until the system can't bare it anymore and America is diminished forever.

This country was built by people with strong work ethics and a drive to do a job right. Today, it is the illegals doing the building, making, and DOING. They are benefiting no one... Except the boss collecting the bulk of the fruits of their labor, while expecting Americans to pick up the difference in the way of subsidies. Americans were NEVER afraid of doing dirty, hard, even dangerous work. Today, the wage doesn't match the job. I blame the illegals for that one.

Quote:
Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.
They don't work any harder than Americans used to work... When wages were respectable for entry level work. They just work much cheaper, with the aid of food cards, free health care, and other freebies thanks to generous tax payers (you and me). And there is no competition with China's labor rates. None at all. Even Mexico can't compete on their wage structure. The only thing that can give American manufacturing the edge is A) superior quality and B) automation (which drastically reduces the need for labor). With regards to B, automation makes labor prices almost irrelevant, as machinery and interest payments become the greatest cost burden. This isn't grandpas age of labor intensive manufacturing, which is exactly why illegal immigrants are no longer needed in many areas of manufacturing. That in of itself largely explains why illegals aren't pouring across the border the way they were a decade ago. Aside from that, their middle class is growing while ours is shrinking. Turns our the free market smiles upon their superior work ethic, as opposed to this generations ballooning entitlement mentality and refusal to undertake honest livings deemed only good for illegal labor. I don't blame them... I blame the illegals and what they have done to my generation.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

They are already here. It's already costing us that and more because they are undocumented. Allowing access only to documented workers allows some manner of control. We are already paying more than they make in services. Neither party has made a move to get any of this changed. We need some control of who is and who isn't allowed in, otherwise nothing will change.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:13 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Default Don't call me illegal

Don't break into my country.

Go back to your home country,
and you won't be illegal.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 PM

192 posts, read 438,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Don't break into my country.

Go back to your home country,
and you won't be illegal.

* clap,clap,clap*

I agree!! Also give the testicles BACK to our U.S. Border patrol, they need them to DO the job!!

T.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Its not blood from a turnip if they have to have a job. Damn
You are ignoring what they're being paid. A job that forces others to subsidize you isn't much of a job at all. We already have millions of such people here with garbage jobs. We don't need to add anymore so you can pretend to save money and a rich man can exploit people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
They are already here. It's already costing us that and more because they are undocumented. Allowing access only to documented workers allows some manner of control. We are already paying more than they make in services. Neither party has made a move to get any of this changed. We need some control of who is and who isn't allowed in, otherwise nothing will change.
If we make life difficult for them they will leave. Don't hand them interpreters, fine their employers heavily, refuse their kids schooling unless they pay for it, don't give them American driver's licenses, confiscate their wages and hand any bills they run up to Mexico and they will leave voluntarily.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Ellis island.

Worked before. Build something similar in Texas.
Elian Island?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elián_González_affair

Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Then tax the **** out of them. Give them lower payouts until they make up the difference in payment. And only allow them access if they have a job lined up. Any job. Mandate no food stamps for 5 years unless you're working. If they lose their job, you'll be deported within the first two years of your arrival. Kind of a trial citizenship.

The Romans did that, and they lasted much longer then 200 years.
Wow..all these demands. That is not happening my friend. The borders are open and they are free to come and stay and qualify for programs that US taxpayers fund.

It is what it is, not what you think it should be.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Why not?

Free market capitalism would say that some smart business guy will realize "hey, it costs me less to produce this product now. I can lower prices to get more market share and make more money in the process."

Or are we suddenly not for a free market?
You assume that the greedy employer passes on the savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration