Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:27 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If a child has been here for 17 of their 18 years of life, they are as much an American as my son is.

And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.

Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.
Did I just enter the twilight zone?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 AM

8,891 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Default Boo hoo

They're illegal.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Also a real free market would also have no welfare handouts, no free health care for those who come here and cannot afford doctors, and no housing subsidies.

Illegals coming here with 3rd grade educations and no ability to ever learn English would not be given admission to the finest hospitals to give birth and would not be rewarded with Section 8 housing and food stamps and WIC after their babies are born here.

It only makes sense for those who couldn't make it in their own country where the cost of living is very low to relocate enmasse to a much higher cost of living country because of the very generous safety nets offered here. Both to the displaced American workers and to the illegals pouring over the border because the pay is so wonderful here and the welfare handouts are amazing.

What part of "you can't get any kind of federal assistance for x number of years" don't you people understand?

The problem is, immigration isn't going away. So you can either try to ignore reality, that they will keep coming, or you can work within to find a solution that works best for the country.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
What part of "you can't get any kind of federal assistance for x number of years" don't you people understand?

The problem is, immigration isn't going away. So you can either try to ignore reality, that they will keep coming, or you can work within to find a solution that works best for the country.
What part of "anchor baby brings in instant welfare handouts" do you not understand?

Or why are so many of those coming over the border already pregnant and about to deliver a baby?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What part of "anchor baby brings in instant welfare handouts" do you not understand?

Or why are so many of those coming over the border already pregnant and about to deliver a baby?

What part of "let them in the country legally, if they can find any job and cut off their welfare for a given number of years" don't you understand?

No anchor babies if they are citizens.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Back in the early 90's, when they were first coming over and taking construction jobs here in Texas, one told me, he made $8 a day, in Mexico. He was making $5 an hour to install carpet, for a legal subcontractor, that was given amnesty by Ronald Reagan

I knew right then, my days were numbered, if this continued. A job I loved to do and kept me in the middle class, living a comfortable life and slowly building a clientele. By 98, it was lower my prices, or don't work.

Right now, the retail flooring stores have dropped their labor rates, to that of the 1970's

I'm sure most of the construction trades have experienced the same thing.
Here's the kicker... In the 90's a new construction $80,000 home, is now selling for $250,000-$400,000
It's so bad that one of the illegals that lives in my neighborhood was saying he really didn't want to see an amnesty because he thinks a lot of Central Americans will come to get in on it. He actually said that a Mexican has standards and will need at least $5 an hour but a Guatemalan would work for $3 an hour and he figures the only way he might ever get better wages is for them not to all come here.

Cesar Chavez and the UFW were trying to up wages and improve conditions for the farm workers, and they opposed open borders because it's obvious that open borders is all for the cheap labor elites, not for the American people.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM

8,891 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
So how did BO's Auntie Z get an apartment and medical care though she was here illegally?

Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Why not?

Free market capitalism would say that some smart business guy will realize "hey, it costs me less to produce this product now. I can lower prices to get more market share and make more money in the process."

Or are we suddenly not for a free market?
We are NOT a free market and it has not been sudden.

Government tells us what wages to pay, what prices we can charge, what profit margin we can make, what products we can produce, where we can sell those products and what hours we can operate our business.

That's not even close to a free market.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:33 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe you are too young but what you just posted was told to Americans when mfg got offshored.
Prices didn't go down. They got more market share though by going global. The US is not the only consumer anymore..

Not true at all. A pair of shoes made in the USA would cost $800. And that 65" HDTV would cost $10,000.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We are NOT a free market and it has not been sudden.

Government tells us what wages to pay, what prices we can charge, what profit margin we can make, what products we can produce, where we can sell those products and what hours we can operate our business.

That's not even close to a free market.
I agree, we should eliminate or lower the minimum wage.

But we can't be big government on one thing, and not the other. Has to start somewhere.

If you flood the market with new labor sources, wages will have to come down. Thats the problem with the Republican party, they aren't small government, they like government when it suits them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration