U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 PM
 
31,529 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_tec_lo_life View Post
Craigslist? I dunno.

"With 23 million Americans out of work" you'd think they'd be advertising their willingness to work a job they'd "love" that pays decently "rather than starve". An unemployed person waiting for a recruiting advert in this job market isn't really looking for work.
How do you know that Americans aren't beating the streets looking for work? Assume much? The common way to look for a job is to search the want ads in the paper and on the internet. You dunno if there are plenty of ads for busboys or any other kinds of work but yet you claim that there isn't a surge of applicants applying for them?

 
Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 PM
 
31,529 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Reputation: 8391
[quote=hi_tec_lo_life;25806126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

In the last twenty years in the US productivity has gone up, labour costs have gone down, and crime has gone down. These are facts.

The "employers" are not obliged to provide health care or education beyond what they pay in taxes. Their "benefit" is passed along whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Perhaps they should be taxed more (which will also be passed along).

If you won't be happy until politicians stop pandering to corporations &c., then I stand by what I said. Some people (and you in particular) will never be happy.
The only thing you are right about is that labor costs have gone down and that isn't a positive thing for the American employee. Facts? How about a link to your facts?

No, the employers are not obligated to provide health insurance to their employees but most of them do for citizens. They don't feel the need to do that for illegal immigrants because they know the taxpayer will have to pay for it through their taxes. Educating illegal immgrants are also something that is coming out of our tax coffers. If these employers wouldn't hire them they wouldn't be here and therefore we wouldn't have to be paying for their education and their kid's educations.

Are we supposed to be happy about the pandering that is costly our country dearly? This is a revelation to you? Are you happy about it?

By the way the way you replied to me makes it look like your words were my words. Please quote correctly, thanks.
 
Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If a child has been here for 17 of their 18 years of life, they are as much an American as my son is.

And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.

Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.
Nope: that kid here 17 out of 18 years is STILL an illegal alien: he needs to cuss out his criminal parents, NOT the US if he's deported. Word has it an "American" Black rapper was deported back to England cause of some crime here in the US, he was born in London or some place.

That's not right that "no one is doing the jobs of the undocumented or illegals"; those people are helping to push wages DOWN, and really hurting American Blacks.

NO reason to accept everyone: time to really slow down ALL immigration. China: try again; word has it the stuff being made there is getting to be high dollar so companies are starting to move production BACK to the US. I saw a TV for sale in Target a coupe of days ago: assembled in the US. Just remember that China has had a real low birthrate since about 1980 and there ain't that many Chinese people below age 30 so people are wanting and GETTING more money per hour.
 
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,290,347 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Many folks already live like the third world here.

Have you ever been to a third world country?
We DON'T need more peasants who'll live like the Irish in the tenements of 100 years ago, especially with so many people who WANT to work but have to fight illegal aliens for jobs.
 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree. My point was these young adults are asimulated and know of no other life but the US. The US still allows for legal immigration. These young adults need to go through the system first legally.
They are only required to have lived here for 5 years. I would venture to guess, it takes longer than that to become fully assimilated. Also, many entered at 15, and are now eligible at 20. Surely, you can't seriously believe they "know no other life but the US."

The line we're constantly fed that "they came here during infancy, and know no other country" is nothing but spurious propaganda. The government would have lowered the age of entry, and lengthened the years to qualify, had they actually believed most were here from an early age. They didn't, because they know many haven't been here long.
 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 PM
 
6,209 posts, read 6,584,591 times
Reputation: 3091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They are only required to have lived here for 5 years. I would venture to guess, it takes longer than that to become fully assimilated. Also, many entered at 15, and are now eligible at 20. Surely, you can't seriously believe they "know no other life but the US."

The line we're constantly fed that "they came here during infancy, and know no other country" is nothing but spurious propaganda. The government would have lowered the age of entry, and lengthened the years to qualify, had they actually believed most were here from an early age. They didn't, because they know many haven't been here long.
I agree, my earlier post states pretty much what you stated above. I was referring to those who were babies but my hunch is many also came to the US as teens. In that case send them back.
 
Old 08-26-2012, 01:47 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Reputation: 28970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree, my earlier post states pretty much what you stated above. I was referring to those who were babies but my hunch is many also came to the US as teens. In that case send them back.
WHAT? And rob the "ruling, imperial" party and its "annointed" leader of all those votes?
 
Old 08-26-2012, 03:56 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,320 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If a child has been here for 17 of their 18 years of life, they are as much an American as my son is.

And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.

Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.
So, are you willing to work for the minimum wage? That's what you're asking for. Keep in mind, prices won't decrease. CEO wages and benefits will increase though.
 
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,320 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then tax the **** out of them. Give them lower payouts until they make up the difference in payment. And only allow them access if they have a job lined up. Any job. Mandate no food stamps for 5 years unless you're working. If they lose their job, you'll be deported within the first two years of your arrival. Kind of a trial citizenship.

The Romans did that, and they lasted much longer then 200 years.
Those requirements you mention are in effect for legal immigrants. They must have a firm job offer, and a sponsor who will guarantee they won't be a burden on the taxpayers, and they must pay taxes. When they come illegally, they bypass those requirements. They also bypass health checks to insure they don't have a communicable disease, or a long term serious illenes requiring years of care which taxpeyers will have to pay for, and they bypass criminal background checks. The best option is to seal the border, and keep them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top