Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why not?

Free market capitalism would say that some smart business guy will realize "hey, it costs me less to produce this product now. I can lower prices to get more market share and make more money in the process."

Or are we suddenly not for a free market?
Maybe you are too young but what you just posted was told to Americans when mfg got offshored.
Prices didn't go down. They got more market share though by going global. The US is not the only consumer anymore.

Keds sneakers, for example, are near $40 for a plain pair that is cheaply made and fall apart rather quickly.
These are sneakers that, when made in the US years ago, lasted and were washable without falling apart.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Ellis island.

Worked before. Build something similar in Texas.
Only because we didn't have a welfare state and made it clear that illegals needed to learn English and adhere to American customs. We also had a booming economy and a need for labor during the Second Wave of Great Migration. We don't have that right now and we shut the door the last time the great depression happened. We don't need more illegals unless they can contribute to this country. Most illegals are hispanic high school dropouts who cost us far more than they pay in their very minimal taxes.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There were no social welfare programs. One had to work to put food on the table and depend on family to survive and make a go of it.

Very different environment today with taxpayers taking the place of the family and job for new arrivals.
Then tax the **** out of them. Give them lower payouts until they make up the difference in payment. And only allow them access if they have a job lined up. Any job. Mandate no food stamps for 5 years unless you're working. If they lose their job, you'll be deported within the first two years of your arrival. Kind of a trial citizenship.

The Romans did that, and they lasted much longer then 200 years.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
If a child has been here for 17 of their 18 years of life, they are as much an American as my son is.

And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.

Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.
Open up the border huh? We would/will be a 3rd world country if we do nothing about the border and illegals.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
If a child has been here for 17 of their 18 years of life, they are as much an American as my son is.

And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.

Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.
I wish i could rate this post "Negatively"

Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Open up the border huh? We would/will be a 3rd world country if we do nothing about the border and illegals.
Many folks already live like the third world here.

Have you ever been to a third world country?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I wish i could rate this post "Negatively"
My father always said you can want in one hand, **** in the other, and see which fills up first.

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Quote:

Good point but....

If someone has been here for that long and is any kind of a quality person......then there should be no problem finding a sponsor...required with responcibilities to back up the position....otherwise all the position is good for is a poll

How could Obama not see this entirely obvious solution?

192 posts, read 438,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Only because we didn't have a welfare state and made it clear that illegals needed to learn English and adhere to American customs. We also had a booming economy and a need for labor during the Second Wave of Great Migration. We don't have that right now and we shut the door the last time the great depression happened. We don't need more illegals unless they can contribute to this country. Most illegals are hispanic high school dropouts who cost us far more than they pay in their very minimal taxes.

* clapping & hoots*!!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM

640 posts, read 717,680 times
Quote:
Or are we suddenly not for a free market?
We claim to be but we don't practice it. I use as evidence every trade agreement we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration