U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times

Advertisements

I was teaching school, when there was some sort of rally for illegal immigrants, all the Hispanic kids left the classroom to join this march, with flags, bull horns, the Mexican flag. It was pretty evident to me that this march was not inclusive. I had some African refugee students in my class, and a few Asian kids, I asked them if they felt like this was an important issue, they said, "no", and that school was more important to them.

Why was this march for illegal aliens completely ethnocentric? I found that interesting. Other students from other cultures may have the same issue in their families, and were excluded from this rally for "illegal immigrants".

Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,422,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
In other words, you missed the point. Well, have no fear! I'll spell it out for you:

You don't know the majority of illegal immigrants, so claiming that most of them are arrogant and have false senses of entitlement is just plain foolish of you.
You have no idea who I am or who I know. That being said as a former tax fraud investigator for the IRS I've met many illegals up close and personal. I have witnessed their perpetration of fraud, delusions of grandier, arrogance and assisted in numerous investigations and reviewed and consolidated evidence for their prosecution. Add to that equation, I have spent more than a decade reading about the multitude of rapes, murders, child molestation and other criminal activity. When it comes to illegal aliens and their commission of crime in this country, I'm more informed and educated than you will ever be.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 08-26-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM

31,500 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Mitt's father, George, was born IN Mexico to 2 people LIVING there; under Mexican law of 2012, Mitt IS a "Mexican" American.

George W. Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am aware that Mitt's father was born in Mexico however I don't think that automatically makes Mitt a Mexican citizen. Mitt may have dual citizenship but I doubt it. At any rate since Mitt was born here at the very least he should be referred to as an American first.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM

6,009 posts, read 4,945,550 times
Quote:
You don't know the majority of illegal immigrants,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
You have no idea who I know.
No matter who you are, PurpleRain, yes, I am quite sure you do not know most of the illegal Mexican immigrants in the U.S.

Quote:
That being said I've met many of them up close and personal. As a former tax fraud investigator for the IRS, I have witnessed their delusions of grandier, arrogance and criminal activity up close and in person. Add to the equation reading about the multitude of rapes, murders, child molestation and other criminal activity that they have commited in this country for more than a decade, when it comes to illegal aliens and their crime wave in this country, I'm more informed and educated than you will ever be.
You've witnessed what some of them are like. A small fraction. Admit it, you misspoke.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
You have no idea who I am or who I know. That being said as a former tax fraud investigator for the IRS I've met many illegals up close and personal. I have witnessed their perpetration of fraud, delusions of grandier, arrogance and assisted in numerous investigations and reviewed and consolidated evidence for their prosecution. Add to that equation, I have spent more than a decade reading about the multitude of rapes, murders, child molestation and other criminal activity. When it comes to illegal aliens and their commission of crime in this country, I'm more informed and educated than you will ever be.
I don't believe you...

Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I was teaching school, when there was some sort of rally for illegal immigrants, all the Hispanic kids left the classroom to join this march, with flags, bull horns, the Mexican flag. It was pretty evident to me that this march was not inclusive. I had some African refugee students in my class, and a few Asian kids, I asked them if they felt like this was an important issue, they said, "no", and that school was more important to them.

Why was this march for illegal aliens completely ethnocentric? I found that interesting. Other students from other cultures may have the same issue in their families, and were excluded from this rally for "illegal immigrants".
Too bad the authorities didn't catch those kids and punish them for being truants. The 18 and older ones can sign their own "reports" but the younger kids would've been in REAL trouble.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 553,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
So what should we be talking about? Illegal Swedes, Russians, Italians? Since the majority of illegal aliens are Hispanic, and the majority of those are from Mexico, they tend to get the attention. When was the last time you called a business, and were prompted to 'press 1' for German, French, or Arabic? Why is it you can't get a job in some places unless you speak Spanish? Why were some teachers in Texas, and some police officers in California told to learn to speak Spanish, or look for another job? Don't you think it's rather racist for peple to pander to Hispanics in this way? No one was kept from getting a job because they didn't speak Polish, or Japanese. No one was told to learn to speak Greek, or Tagalog. Yes, we do focus on illegal Hispanics, particularly Mexicans, and with good reason, but it's not racism. It's the fact that they are here in overwhelming numbers, and are the ones being catered to.
Perfectly stated. Thank you for your clear, concise, and thoughtful post.

If I had a dime for every job ad that REQUIRED bi-lingual Spanish in California, I would be quite wealthy. And that's not catering??? Too bad the Spanish-speaking population doesn't follow the examples set by many immigrants from other countries: They learn our language.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,551,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
.................. when I hear something along the lines of "That Mexican took my job!" They are clearly caring about other nations and the person may not even be from Mexico, but, hey, who cares, they are all the same to you.
I guess it's pretty much the same as Mexicans using the derogatory term "gringo" when referring to white people. Do they take into consideration that there are many people of Hispanic descent (Central/Latin/South America) who are as white as snow with blue eyes and blonde hair. From what I understand Mexicans classify themselves as white.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Quote:
So your concern is that legal immigrants would be snatching up all the jobs? Why do you think that would happen/is happening? It's only the illegals who are getting paid below minimum wage under the table (because they have no choice but to accept these rates), so we can't blame this problem on that. If legal immigrants are "taking our jobs!", must be because they are either more willing or more qualified to do the work. I say more power to 'em! Mexico is obviously not treating them well, and they're obviously hard-working, reasonably skilled people just trying to make a decent living. Not unlike you and me. Every human being deserves what they deserve, whether they're born here in the U.S. or elsewhere.
The only way they can stay here is by accessing our welfare system. They're not more willing. They're just largely high school dropouts who think a little bit of money is a good deal because they don't know any better. So they come here without permission, push down wages and then grab subsidies from the American taxpayer to stay. They let greedy employers push the real costs of their labor onto other people.

If they would expend all that effort into demanding that Mexico treat them better instead of demanding American taxpayer subsidies they wouldn't have to leave in the first place.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Quote:
In other words, you missed the point. Well, have no fear! I'll spell it out for you:

You don't know the majority of illegal immigrants, so claiming that most of them are arrogant and have false senses of entitlement is just plain foolish of you.
People who break our immigration laws are by definition arrogant and have a false sense of entitlement. One does not need to meet every single illegal to know this. That's a preposerous assertion. They think that the laws of another country and the thoughts of another country's people should be directed around doing what is best for them even when those people have huge problems in their own country.

That's ridiculous. Those are not the kind of people we want here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or