Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:36 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
So what should we be talking about? Illegal Swedes, Russians, Italians? Since the majority of illegal aliens are Hispanic, and the majority of those are from Mexico, they tend to get the attention. When was the last time you called a business, and were prompted to 'press 1' for German, French, or Arabic? Why is it you can't get a job in some places unless you speak Spanish? Why were some teachers in Texas, and some police officers in California told to learn to speak Spanish, or look for another job? Don't you think it's rather racist for peple to pander to Hispanics in this way? No one was kept from getting a job because they didn't speak Polish, or Japanese. No one was told to learn to speak Greek, or Tagalog. Yes, we do focus on illegal Hispanics, particularly Mexicans, and with good reason, but it's not racism. It's the fact that they are here in overwhelming numbers, and are the ones being catered to.
Oh, you're completely right, because when I hear something along the lines of "That Mexican took my job!" They are clearly caring about other nations and the person may not even be from Mexico, but, hey, who cares, they are all the same to you.

And actually, being from Chicago I am exposed to much more than just Spanish.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:38 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Gotta have something to do with the view that some people seem less willing to make even legal immigration more doable, and a perceived lack of good reasons as to why...
Okay -- you tell us why when there are over 12 million Americans out of work that we need to bring in millions of people from other countries that I assume you would have take jobs. Or do you intend to add them to the welfare numbers or give them unemployment handouts?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
It's not that people are against it, it's what they say in these threads. Your post sounds reasonable and fine. Most of the people sound like they are going to stand on the border and shoot someone for getting too close when coming up from Mexico while they are in Mexico. Also, since these people really only talk about Hispanics, especially Mexicans and have a problem a lot of times with Hispanic-Americans, that is racist.
If you really want to see racism, imagine if 10 million Americans (both black and white Americans) crossed illegally into Mexico and started demanding work visas and that all services be provided in English for them.

You would see some racism like you would not have imagined.

Mexicans and other Central Americans like their own country's immigration laws intact, it's only the USA they insist have no immigration laws of any kind.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Okay -- you tell us why when there are over 12 million Americans out of work that we need to bring in millions of people from other countries that I assume you would have take jobs. Or do you intend to add them to the welfare numbers or give them unemployment handouts?
So your concern is that legal immigrants would be snatching up all the jobs? Why do you think that would happen/is happening? It's only the illegals who are getting paid below minimum wage under the table (because they have no choice but to accept these rates), so we can't blame this problem on that. If legal immigrants are "taking our jobs!", must be because they are either more willing or more qualified to do the work. I say more power to 'em! Mexico is obviously not treating them well, and they're obviously hard-working, reasonably skilled people just trying to make a decent living. Not unlike you and me. Every human being deserves what they deserve, whether they're born here in the U.S. or elsewhere.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Mitt Romney is not a Mexican-American. He was born here and is an American.
Mitt's father, George, was born IN Mexico to 2 people LIVING there; under Mexican law of 2012, Mitt IS a "Mexican" American.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Romney

Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
All I can tell you is that A LOT OF white supremacists groups use illegal immigration as one of the strong points of their agendas. (There is a documentary about that in National Geographic, is called American Neo Nazis and it pretty much talks about how every recession the extreme right uses more and more the topic of illegal immigration)

Another example is the lobbyist group behind SB1070 , it is called FAIR, its founder is a white separatist that advocates for eugenics.

I do not condone breaking the law but I also believe race has a lot to do with it as Hispanics (legal and illegal) have more kids than whites.
Really? So you don't think that the fact that the majority of illegals are hispanic, arrogant, have a false sense of entitlement, are running across the border and swimming the Rio Grande in order to drop babies on the taxpayers for the sole purpose of collecting a welfare check, food stamps and other taxpayer funded services has nothing to do with the hostility?

That being said I'm black, please feel free to tell me why I am against illegal immigration.

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 08-26-2012 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Really? So you don't think that the fact that the majority of illegals are hispanic, arrogant, have a false sense of entitlement, are running, and swimming across the border and Rio Grande in order to drop babies on the taxpayers for the sole purpose of collecting a welfare check, food stamps and other taxpayer funded services has nothing to do with the hostility?

That being said I'm black, please feel free to tell me why I am against illegal immigration.
Are you giving us permission to come just as close to stereotyping blacks as you've come to stereotyping illegal immigrants?

(Don't nobody post something racist; it's still against the TOS. I'm just making a point.)

Old 08-26-2012, 06:38 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Not all, but the majority of them are Hispanic. I live in Northern California and have seen a drastic downward spiral in my lifetime. Not all due to illegals, but we have had four cities file for bankruptcy, San Jose has had 11 murders in the past 8 days (mostly Hispanic gang members), Americans are out of work in large numbers, our resources (water, etc.) are being depleted at a record rate, huge cutbacks in police departments and some disbanding all together, etc. and etc. There is no more room at the inn. The US has enough of its own problems without importing other countries' unwanted populations. As taxpayers, our money should not go toward supporting those who break into our country illegally. Period. Race has nothing to do with it.
This poster has it right. We do not need anymore people in our country at this time.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:53 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Are you giving us permission to come just as close to stereotyping blacks as you've come to stereotyping illegal immigrants?

(Don't nobody post something racist; it's still against the TOS. I'm just making a point.)
Not that they need any help, but not only am I not stereotyping illegal aliens, they do just fine on their own merit. If there's a racist in you that wishes to stereotype blacks, and you feel the need to do so, knock yourself out.

Additionally, I don't recall posting to you at all, so who is us? I quoted and was responding to Mayita's post, or are you selectively Stevie Wonder when it suits you as well?

Last edited by PurpleRain_1; 08-26-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
I don't recall posting to you at all. However, if there's a racist in you that wishes to stereotype blacks, and you feel the need to do so keep in mind that's against TOS as well. You certainly don't need my permission.

That being, said I quoted and responded to Mayita's post, or are you selectively Stevie Wonder when convenient as well?
In other words, you missed the point. Well, have no fear! I'll spell it out for you:

You don't know the majority of illegal immigrants, so claiming that most of them are arrogant and have false senses of entitlement is just plain foolish of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration