Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would you imply that because the Republican party is composed of mostly white Americans and they oppose Obama that the race card is justified? Obama is a Democrat. All Republicans oppose the policies of the Democrats and vice versa and that is the bottom line not race. Didn't Republicans also oppose Bill Clinton for the same reasons? Didn't Democrats oppose Bush for the same reasons. Did black Americans oppose Bush because he is white? Come on, now.
Flip the coin...Why is it implied that Black Americans vote for Obama because of race?

I'm not saying it is right either way, I am saying that's the reality.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM

990 posts, read 937,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Why is every person who is against illegal immigration, lumped in with the KKK? I am not a racist, nor am I against a multi cultural society.

I do have issues with illegal aliens who flaunt the laws of the United States, and expect to have the same rights as lawful citizens.

If an iilegal alien is apprehended, he or she should be deported. If they have given birth to children here, those children should go home with their parents. We are not rejecting citizens, but those children can't take care of themselves.

In regards to children, unlawfully brought into the United States, they have a country, their birth country.

Children born in the US are American Citizens, it's part of the constitution. Kicking the parents of an American citizen out seems pretty darned un-American to me. As a patriot and a veteran, I believe that our country became the strongest one in the world through our open immigration policies. You do realize that the closed-minded immigration you people push for is a relatively recent thing, right?

The first 100 years had no restrictions on immigration, and those are the years where we grew from a tiny colony to a world power. The Page Act was the first immigration restriction act, and it was essentially a racist act trying to keep Chinese people away. Immigration acts have nearly all been racially or politically motivated, they were not in any way in line with the founding of the country which was done with OPEN IMMIGRATION FOR A REASON!

If you don't believe in open immigration, you are un-American. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John Hancock, Ben Franklin, George Washington and the rest of our founding fathers would be spinning in their graves if they knew about the crazy laws people have enacted to close our borders.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM

62,726 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Flip the coin...Why is it implied that Black Americans vote for Obama because of race?

I'm not saying it is right either way, I am saying that's the reality.
It would have been nice if you had addressed all the points that I made in my post. Voting for someone because you share a common race is not the same thing as opposing someone because of their race. Yes, there are blacks that did vote for Obama because of the shared race but you would play hard to find white Americans who vote for a candidate just because they are white. Blacks and other minorities overwhelmingly vote along the Democratic party line. I would say that is more the case than race being involved. You do know that Obama is half white, don't you?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:30 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times
Quote:
It would have been nice if you had addressed all the points that I made in my post. Voting for someone because you share a common race is not the same thing as opposing someone because of their race. Yes, there are blacks that did vote for Obama because of the shared race but you would play hard to find white Americans who vote for a candidate just because they are white. Blacks and other minorities overwhelmingly vote along the Democratic party line. I would say that is more the case than race being involved. You do know that Obama is half white, don't you?
NOOOOOO WAYYYY

This is a ridiculous topic..there are plenty of racists out there to justify everyone being called racists.

Anti-illegals get used to it.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Quote:
If you don't believe in open immigration, you are un-American. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, John Hancock, Ben Franklin, George Washington and the rest of our founding fathers would be spinning in their graves if they knew about the crazy laws people have enacted to close our borders.
We have laws in this country. Everyone is supposed to follow them. That includes people who want to be citizens of our country. Does not seem like a good way to demonstrate desire to be an American Citizen, by starting a journey here, ignoring laws set forth, for everyone to follow. Immigration quotas are part of the law. Following the correct procedure, is part of the law. People are welcome to the United States, as long as they follow the existing pathways, and follow the law.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We have laws in this country. Everyone is supposed to follow them. That includes people who want to be citizens of our country. Does not seem like a good way to demonstrate desire to be an American Citizen, by starting a journey here, ignoring laws set forth, for everyone to follow. Immigration quotas are part of the law. Following the correct procedure, is part of the law. People are welcome to the United States, as long as they follow the existing pathways, and follow the law.
Did you not read the rest of my post? The country was founded without immigration being restricted in any way. They then set an annual quota, but it was not until 100 years after the country was founded that the first laws to restrict immigrations were enacted, and they were done so out of blatant racism.

Like the War on Drugs and the War on Terror, racism and prejudice play a major role in the War on Immigration. None of them are valuable wars, we waste billions on them and they are completely futile. We could instead spend that money on making sure those who are actually criminals under the constitutional laws of this country are actually prosecuted and identified properly.

I know a woman who is being deported right now who has lived in the country for 20 years and had a successful career as a hair stylist. She was in no way a criminal and simply came here with her family when she was a little girl, but because of our unconstitutional immigration laws, she's being sent away from a life she has built over two decades. She paid taxes and she contributed to the economy, yet she's being sent away. Meanwhile, we have PLENTY of American-born rednecks, hicks and ghetto thugs who get to do their meth/crack on MY tax dollars. I'd much rather support a hard-working immigrant than some fat, drugged-out American.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:51 PM

166 posts, read 246,301 times
[quote I'd much rather support a hard-working immigrant than some fat, drugged-out American.[/quote]

Feel Free, we won't mind.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
NOOOOOO WAYYYY

This is a ridiculous topic..there are plenty of racists out there to justify everyone being called racists.

Anti-illegals get used to it.
What do you mean "no way"? Obama has a white mother and a black father. Surely, you know this. Yes, there are racists in this country but it isn't only white people. That justifies everyone being called racists?

No, those of us who want our immigration laws enforced should not get used to being called racists for that. There is nothing racist about it. Why do you think it is not racist to snub one's nose at our immigration laws just because most of those here illegally share the same ethnicity? Sounds like a double standard to me.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Did you not read the rest of my post? The country was founded without immigration being restricted in any way. They then set an annual quota, but it was not until 100 years after the country was founded that the first laws to restrict immigrations were enacted, and they were done so out of blatant racism.

Like the War on Drugs and the War on Terror, racism and prejudice play a major role in the War on Immigration. None of them are valuable wars, we waste billions on them and they are completely futile. We could instead spend that money on making sure those who are actually criminals under the constitutional laws of this country are actually prosecuted and identified properly.

I know a woman who is being deported right now who has lived in the country for 20 years and had a successful career as a hair stylist. She was in no way a criminal and simply came here with her family when she was a little girl, but because of our unconstitutional immigration laws, she's being sent away from a life she has built over two decades. She paid taxes and she contributed to the economy, yet she's being sent away. Meanwhile, we have PLENTY of American-born rednecks, hicks and ghetto thugs who get to do their meth/crack on MY tax dollars. I'd much rather support a hard-working immigrant than some fat, drugged-out American.
Are you not aware that among today's quotas that it favors minorities overwhelmingly? So where is this racism? Quotas were set because our nationn no longer needed as many immigrants as when we were a new country. The war on terror is off topic in this forum and is an entirely different issue.

Please cite the part in our Constitution where it says we don't have the right to have immigration laws.

Undesirable Americans are our problem to deal with but they have the right to be in this country. I'd much rather support desirable Americans struggling to survive but making the effort to do so rather than the above or illegal immigrants. Why isn't that an option for you? Hard working legal immigrants most of us don't have a problem with but the topic is illegal immigrants who broke our laws to come here and took a job they had no right to. How does one pay income taxes unless they are using a fake or stolen ID to work? Working under the table you pay no income taxes either. You brag about someone who has remained illegally in our country for 20 years? The job she held could have been held by an American and they in turn would have been contributing to our economy and tax coffers and not by using a stolen ID.

If she gave birth on our soil who paid for those births? Who educated her kids? Does welfare supplement her income? If any or all the above is true then she has taken more out of this country than she has contributed.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Are you not aware that among today's quotas that it favors minorities overwhelmingly? So where is this racism? Quotas were set because our nationn no longer needed as many immigrants as when we were a new country. The war on terror is off topic in this forum and is an entirely different issue.
Are you not aware that these immigration policies you all love to cling to were enacted during the Cold War? The ones before the cold war were nearly all based in keeping certain races out of our cities.

Quote:
Please cite the part in our Constitution where it says we don't have the right to have immigration laws.
Please cite the part in our Constitution where it says that immigration can be restricted.

Quote:
Undesirable Americans are our problem to deal with but they have the right to be in this country. I'd much rather support desirable Americans struggling to survive but making the effort to do so rather than the above or illegal immigrants. Why isn't that an option for you? Hard working legal immigrants most of us don't have a problem with but the topic is illegal immigrants who broke our laws to come here and took a job they had no right to. How does one pay income taxes unless they are using a fake or stolen ID to work? Working under the table you pay no income taxes either. You brag about someone who has remained illegally in our country for 20 years? The job she held could have been held by an American and they in turn would have been contributing to our economy and tax coffers and not by using a stolen ID.
Brag? How did I brag? I stated that it was wrong that she was being deported even though she was a good citizen. As a hair stylist who operated her own business and who paid her taxes, she did not take a job away from anyone as she was a SKILLED worker whose skill allowed her to gain a customer base.

One can pay taxes without American citizenship, just like Romney paid taxes abroad (supposedly) even though he was not a citizen of that country.

Quote:
If she gave birth on our soil who paid for those births? Who educated her kids? Does welfare supplement her income? If any or all the above is true then she has taken more out of this country than she has contributed.
Clearly welfare does not supplement her income, as she is a hard-working woman with a real job that takes skill and experience to do.

What makes being "American" so special? A huge portion of this country does not deserve my tax dollars because they are fat, lazy, uneducated morons. Just because some idiot is born in America doesn't make them more deserving of anything. It is clearly ethnocentrism at its finest to suggest that simply being born here gives a person special entitlements.

Anti-immigration people are not only completely ignorant to history, they are clearly not very well educated in economics. No SKILLED worker is being replaced by an illegal immigrant, it just doesn't happen that way. None of our economic problems is the result of illegal immigration, other than the wasteful spending on combatting it. If you really care about the country, why not focus on the actual problems?

Worried about the Mexican cartels? Legalize drugs and eliminate their main source of income.
Worried about the price of food? End government subsidies on certain farm products which cause other products to skyrocket in price.
Worried about gas prices? Get off the freaking oil already.
Worried about the budget? How about ending those occupations of Germany, Japan, Korea, The Philippines, etc.?

I live minutes from the Tijuana border, so why is immigration less of a problem for us than in places like Missouri and other non-border states? Because it's not a real problem, we know it because the cities with the highest crime rates actually either border Canada (Detroit, Buffalo), or they are nowhere near Mexico. Lowest murder rate in America? El Paso, Texas (0.8 murders per 100,000 residents)...right there on the border of Juarez. San Diego, CA is not far behind, with a murder rate of only 2.2/100,000 (Minneapolis has one of 9.6, Milwaukee is 15.5/100,000 and the nearly immigrant-free New Orleans is at 49.6/100,000).

So why is illegal immigration such a problem for you people when it's clearly not a problem either financially or socially? Border towns with Mexico are essentially 5 times as safe as the national average of 10 murders per 100,000 residents. Even if you combine the murder rates of San Diego and El Paso, they only total 3 murders/100,000 residents, lower than all but 6 out of the 70 cities with 250,000+ people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.