U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,024,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
So...what's the solution?
This is why I hope Romney wins so he could stop what Obama is doing regarding giving these 2 millions illegals qnything.

This is one area where I hoped blacks and white amercinas could see common ground.
Who could provide great, level-headed arguments against illegal immigration? Legal immigrants, unions, blacks, I'm sure others. I think it could be delicate to approach the issue, the way society is so polarized by fundamentalists of both parties, but it's necessary to talk about it, particularly with educated people of these backgrounds. I suspect many of them are reluctant to speak out. Set up meetups, perhaps.

Will Romney stop it?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:29 AM

44 posts, read 54,874 times
READ THIS - Here is an article from the Charlotte Observer - Two black employees were fired when the store change to a Hispanic market. Good for them they sude and won.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed a federal discrimination complaint against grocer Compare Foods on Thursday, accusing the company of firing meat workers because they were not Hispanic.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2012 at 03:23 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
So true. I watched a video of a conference in which the keynote speaker was a Hispanic professor. During the Q&A session, a black woman said her support for Hispanic "undocumented" is due to the fact they share the same African roots, and therefore, are her brothers and sisters. It was rather embarrassing when the professor corrected her. He told her few black Americans share the same roots as the majority of Hispanics in this country, in particular, the Mexican majority. He said, in fact, most Hispanics feel no connection whatsoever to black Americans. He also mentioned their lack of "white guilt" and the impact it will have on black Americans in areas with a Hispanic majority. Frankly, I was surprised by his candor. I wish I could recall his name and the title of his book. I posted the video in a thread, but I don't remember the title.
That's pretty sad and I am actually glad that he corrected her on it. That is an example of the ignorance that I see by Black people when it comes to non-Black Hispanics and their illegal immigration.

Now, my feelings is that I don't want to see problems or tension between non-Black Hispanics and Black Americans. There should be no racial tension between any groups and there is no need for it. What I do ask is that our so-called leaders and public figures start being smarter about what the illegal immigration invasion and consequences means for Black people instead of lying to the Black community and misleading them. I mean where is the common sense and the fact-based reality-check?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagendass View Post
READ THIS - Here is an article from the Charlotte Observer - Two black employees were fired when the store change to a Hispanic market. Good for them they sude and won.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed a federal discrimination complaint against grocer Compare Foods on Thursday, accusing the company of firing meat workers because they were not Hispanic.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection
I even know a Chicano who was fired from his job.

The ironic thing - he was given the job in the first place because he was a chicano, he was a social worker for mentally ill, and the area he lives in has a very huge number of hispanic immigrants coming in, many with mental health problems.

They hired him because he knew Spanish and they said he would understand the culture -- even though he grew up in the Midwest and wasn't an immigrant. His Spanish wasn't all that "native fluency" but he knew the basics.

The Mexican mentally ill patients complained however -- they didn't like the way he spoke Spanish for one, they hated Chicanos for another -- he was a despised "pocho" even though they themselves were also "pochos". He ended up losing that job and they replaced him with a Mexican.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 AM

3,467 posts, read 6,814,869 times
Quote:
So true. I watched a video of a conference in which the keynote speaker was a Hispanic professor. During the Q&A session, a black woman said her support for Hispanic "undocumented" is due to the fact they share the same African roots, and therefore, are her brothers and sisters. It was rather embarrassing when the professor corrected her. He told her few black Americans share the same roots as the majority of Hispanics in this country, in particular, the Mexican majority. He said, in fact, most Hispanics feel no connection whatsoever to black Americans. He also mentioned their lack of "white guilt" and the impact it will have on black Americans in areas with a Hispanic majority. Frankly, I was surprised by his candor. I wish I could recall his name and the title of his book. I posted the video in a thread, but I don't remember the title.
As a Black man I would have felt the same as you.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM

31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yes, because many know the plight of looking for a better life.
Many think the risk is worth the possible success.

Any more questions?
It is never right to break the law and cause a negative impact on others seeking a better life for oneself. That's just plain selfish, IMO. We all know the plight of seeking a better life regardless of our ethnicity as citizens but that doesn't explain why so many of just one ethnic group of citizens are supporters of illegal immigrants. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,286,582 times
Quote:

Any more questions?
Uh; that's NOT my problem. It's not like Mexico is like Somalia or some plate that's REALLY bad. Let Mexico take care of its own people. Sheesh!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:08 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:

Any more questions?
Lawlessness is not a requirement for a better life. Millions have found success at home by getting an education and postponing childbirth. Illegals could do the same. Coming here illegally, stealing identities, and giving birth for government handouts is not my idea of seeking a better life. That's nothing but a copout.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Lawlessness is not a requirement for a better life. Millions have found success at home by getting an education and postponing childbirth. Illegals could do the same. Coming here illegally, stealing identities, and giving birth for government handouts is not my idea of seeking a better life. That's nothing but a copout.
If you are illegal most likely you come from very little and would have a better chance of education here, if not for yourself then your kids.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 PM

31,498 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
If you are illegal most likely you come from very little and would have a better chance of education here, if not for yourself then your kids.
Really? Mexico has no schools or colleges for example? Regardless of what they want they still have no right to break our immigration laws and make a worse life for our own citizens. I don't think education is at the top of their priority list of why they come here. Many become high school dropouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration