U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Is it wise? To whom? Early 1900's Irish kids would travel alone by wooden boat from County Cork to NYC, leaving their parents behind. When you are poor, and oppressed, risk can be wise.

I'm afraid there is a whole other world out there that many Americans cannot relate to.
There is no other world in which you turn around and let a six year old go off with a stranger across a dessert. These are lousy people and lousy parents. They are poor because they make very stupid life decisions such as having babies they cannot afford and dropping out of school. They are oppressed because they are delusional morons who think they can make demands on the American public instead of the Mexican government.

Many Americans cannot relate to really stupid people who do terrible things to their kids in search of a easy buck. That's a good thing not a bad one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really, do you have a link for your assertions about Irish "kids"? Today, the risks are much higher especially on our southern border with the drug cartels and coyotes. Crossing a burning desert is much riskier also. I think most Americans are aware of the poverty within our own country. From what I understand Mexicans who are coming here in the largest numbers illegally aren't for the most part starving in their own country. You have to remember that the Irish came here legally also. A world of difference between coming here within our immigration laws and coming here illegally.
Read the memoirs of Frank McCourt.

There was open immigration until the Chinese started coming and were considered "undesirable".

Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Quote:

There was open immigration until the Chinese started coming and were considered "undesirable".
There was also no welfare state. People were told firmly that if you couldn't make it here you had no right to get three hundred bucks a month in free food from the American people because you had a child here after violating our laws. They were also told that they damned well better learn English and adopt to American ways or go home.

The immigration doors were slammed shut because of a huge recession and to allow the migrants to assimilate. The average American worker saw his wages rise at least partially because of that decision. Today it's come here without permission in the teeth of a recession. Have as many babies as you want and then force Americans to pay the bills for them and give you free food. Oh and whine, pout and complain that Americans have the nerve not to speak Spanish but they actually would prefer if you did not bring your 87 granny here for SSI and demand we pay your mentally ill sister's medical bills or give your niece who has no medical insurance a kidney instead of a working legal American citizen who does.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:

I asked you for a link that Irish "kids" came her in large numbers without their parents long ago. Still waiting. Immigration was never open. There were still requirements for entry. What does it matter how they did things long ago anyway? The only thing that matters is what our immigration laws are today. Rules change with the times. Our immigration policies are not discrimanatory today. In fact Mexicans and other Latinos are allowed to come here legally more than any other groups.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:12 PM

58,482 posts, read 31,872,436 times

Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Is it wise? To whom? Early 1900's Irish kids would travel alone by wooden boat from County Cork to NYC, leaving their parents behind. When you are poor, and oppressed, risk can be wise.

I'm afraid there is a whole other world out there that many Americans cannot relate to.
Are you seriously saying it is "wise" to send a defenseless child alone through a scorching desert, with total strangers known to be the scum of the earth? I can't believe you are actually trying to justify something so incredibly unconscionable. My son is 20, and very physically fit. And, I wouldn't trust sending him on such a dangerous trip. But, I love my son and don't consider him expendable. Therein lies the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or