U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,555,160 times
Reputation: 2360

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I was replying to the poster that indicated the adults should demand change from their government.
The adults they were referring to would be the poor Mexicans that barely have a 5th grade education.
My bad.

I think you are being very generous saying a 5th grade education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2012, 04:00 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,752,909 times
Reputation: 22163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One thing to keep in mind is levels of education. Many of these poor have an average of a 5th grade education and no more. Mexico does not have the level of government benefits that the US does.
The US is not deporting you if you get caught.

These people are not going to rally to get the Mexican government changed. They are going to pack up and come here.
Actually they would rally for reform -- they are a problem for the Mexican government which is why it has always taken such an active role in trying to get them to go to the USA. The Mexican government even printed a little comic book complete with drawings showing the illegals how to get illegally into the USA, and making it look easy.

Mexico has absolutely no desire to ever get these people back. They are viewed as problems -- even while the Mexican president is trying to convince us that they are the best, most submissive, hard workers you could ever hope to have.

Channel 2 from Mexico had a special last night on the absolute horrendous quality of many of it's schools. They even showed the charts showing how a Mexican education is about the very worst in the world, so 5th grade wouldn't be saying much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,424,072 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually they would rally for reform -- they are a problem for the Mexican government which is why it has always taken such an active role in trying to get them to go to the USA. The Mexican government even printed a little comic book complete with drawings showing the illegals how to get illegally into the USA, and making it look easy.

Mexico has absolutely no desire to ever get these people back. They are viewed as problems -- even while the Mexican president is trying to convince us that they are the best, most submissive, hard workers you could ever hope to have.

Channel 2 from Mexico had a special last night on the absolute horrendous quality of many of it's schools. They even showed the charts showing how a Mexican education is about the very worst in the world, so 5th grade wouldn't be saying much.
Wow, I'd like to say I'm shocked but I'd be lying. It's a good thing our government is handing them our country on a silver platter, since you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand the word"push when told. Then again that's probably one of the few words in English that they understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,015,365 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Elian Gonzalez was sent back to Cuba, even though he was eligible for US citizenship. He was sent back to live with his Father in Cuba...
Elián didn't even qualify for the "dry foot" policy, he was found by fishermen at sea, and turned over to the U.S. Coast Guard. His Cuban father would have been the only relative that could sponsor him for asylum in the United States (he has taken wing under Fidel Castro in the end anyway), so he never had any resident status here. Why do want to throw around loose terms like "eligible for U.S. citizenship" when that really isn't the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 PM
 
18,856 posts, read 30,486,089 times
Reputation: 25990
He was in Miami when he was taken back. That means "dry foot" to me. The Coast Guard picks up other Cubans and they have been eligible for citizenship in the US.

Elian had plenty of family willing to sponser him in the US. His Aunt, Uncle, Cousins. There is still a shrine for him in Miami.

Last edited by jasper12; 08-26-2012 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,176 posts, read 865,317 times
Reputation: 1287
Their are parents that cross themselves who end up having 9 children, and also now their are parents sending their kids across the border. I mean obviously they are tremendous parents that just want a better life for their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,015,365 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
He was in Miami when he was taken back. That means "dry foot" to me. The Coast Guard picks up other Cubans and they have been eligible for citizenship in the US...
Contrary to some of the terminology thrown around here, he doesn't have status because you decide to give it to him. Elián's father in Cuba did not file any asylum petitions. Furthermore, Cubans go into resident status, and U.S. citizenship is based on whether they naturalize at a later point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
...Elian had plenty of family willing to sponser him in the US. His Aunt, Uncle, Cousins. There is still a shrine for him in Miami.
A shrine does not make them "Immediate Relatives", and they cannot countermand the relationship of his father. It's over, and I don't think there will be any calls for Elián to return to the United States as an adult. This doesn't relate to any illegal immigration topic to talk about him on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 AM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,387,488 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Their are parents that cross themselves who end up having 9 children, and also now their are parents sending their kids across the border. I mean obviously they are tremendous parents that just want a better life for their children.
They are horrible parents and horrible people. You don't just let a small child go off to a strange country unassisted and unsupervised without you. Everyone wants a better life for their family and themselves. Unlike many selfish illegals, most of us aren't sickeningly willing to sacrifice our children to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top