U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 AM

5,396 posts, read 6,949,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well; English is not only the dominant language in the USA, it is also the lingua franca of the world as well.

Outside of Spain and its former colonies that kept Spanish; that language is not widely spoken.

Actually, Mexico on down they speak primarily Spanish in the entire Western Hemisphere. Discounting Brazil, Belize, a couple other little nations. Currently about 500 million English speakers to 400million Spanish speakers, worldwide. Both blown away by the Billion plus Mandarin Chinese speakers, of course.

You should be happy they are advertising in Spanish if you are a football fan. They are trying to attract an entirely new customer base to the game, so those quarterbacks can continue to get paid their unGodly contracts. The language that speaks most in this world is the language of green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 10:16 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,802,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Actually, Mexico on down they speak primarily Spanish in the entire Western Hemisphere. Discounting Brazil, Belize, a couple other little nations. Currently about 500 million English speakers to 400million Spanish speakers, worldwide. Both blown away by the Billion plus Mandarin Chinese speakers, of course.

You should be happy they are advertising in Spanish if you are a football fan. They are trying to attract an entirely new customer base to the game, so those quarterbacks can continue to get paid their unGodly contracts. The language that speaks most in this world is the language of green.
No argument there; just that English speakers also tend to be widely disbursed whereas the Mandarin speakers are mostly in China. Many overseas 'Chinese' who actually speak a 'Chinese' language also use Cantonese.

As for 'Spanish' languages; the 'Spanish' we are discussing is Castilian------Spain also has Catalan (Barcelona) as well as Basque. The latter tongue is interesting; it is not a Romance language at all.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM

1,001 posts, read 2,757,771 times
I wonder how upset some of you were when the NFL played a game in Mexico City, and are planning on playing games in Europe?

Also, my Boise State Broncos and the Oregon Ducks are talking about playing a game in China.

Oh my. Think of how bad illegal immigration will be then. Not only will we have Mexicans illegally coming over here, but now Chinese people! Oh my!

Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 PM

273 posts, read 180,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
... Gente que ven el NFL son patos!
Thanks Miami, you validated my post with your reply.

Recuerdo, en la boca cerada no entran moscas. Gracias amigo.

Yes, I remember watching the game in Mexico City. They sold out the stadium, so why was it a one time event?
Was it simply one of those games Americans wouldn't go to?

Last edited by pablo-me; 10-07-2007 at 08:10 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 08:07 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,390,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I stopped watching since they refused to run a border patrol help wanted commercial. Screw the NFL
They did? I wasn't aware of that. I'm almost sorry you told me...

(But seriously, thanks for the info...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or