Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:31 AM

105 posts, read 106,326 times

Advertisements

I'd go to my grandparents on my father's side, who were born here, and my greatgrandparents on my mother's side, who were also born here and ask them how the heck they got me and why do I look like my grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 01:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I doubt you would do any of that. You're 16 and you'd fight tooth and nail to stay exactly where you are.
You have no clue. I went to Mexico to study when I was in college and found it to be an excellent learning experience -- I really enjoyed it -- and it's not even my country. Guess what -- a lot of American students study in Mexico. It's really not the hideous kind of country that the pro-illegals try to make it out to be.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
1. Go to my country of origin on my own and apply to enter legally.
2. Disown my criminal parents
Yes - but I'd try it out first and see if I really thought it was that horrible of a hell hole, I'd want to make up my own mind. I might prefer living in year-round sunny Mexico than Chicago or some very cold winter place.

You don't know how awful it feels to leave Mexico City on some bright sunshiney December day and end up in Chicago where it's bone-chilling cold.....and gray. You just don't even want to get off the plane.

Before these illegals decide that the only thing that matters is the big easy money of the USA is to first at least check out their own country. Besides the middle class of the USA is in free fall, in Mexico the middle class is growing fast.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:31 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
What if you discovered you were really illegal and not a U.S. citizen?

I would probably get a raise (no paying of taxes, etc) and receive free medical care.
How exactly would Ned go about doing that? I'm interested in knowing how illegal aliens supposedly get all these free benefits that Americans are not entitled to. Is there some secret government department only illegal aliens know about where Obama hands out foodstamps and medical insurance cards? If such a department existed, I'm sure Americans could pretend to be illegal and undocumented, couldn't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I was born here to two U.S. citizens. So, I could never discover I was actually an illegal alien. However, it's September 1st and DACA applications were available on August 15th. "Ned" should have already applied for DACA like millions of others.
Umm, this is a hypothetical "put yourself in his shoes" situation. It's nice of you to flaunt your birthright. Pretend it's discovered that your biological parents aren't your actual parents, there was a switch in the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'd do what most illegals do.

I would drive without a license or insurance even thought I can get a Mexican driver's license. I'd lie about my citizenship on college applications. I'd either buy a social security number or forge one. I'd praise my parents for their bravery in freely breaking multiple American laws instead of castigating them for crimes like non-payment of taxes, forgery and driving drunk. I would pretend didn't speak Spanish even though it really is almost impossible to believe that I don't speak my parent's native language. I'd work off the books, call Americans nasty names if they dared ask me to leave, father lots of out of out of wedlock children and collect welfare in their names. I would whine that American didn't do enough for me even though Americans gave me a fabulous education my parents did not pay for.

Then I would tell Americans that Mexico is the world's greatest place but anyone who asks me to leave is a racist.
Hey, this Ned is not one of those border-jumping scumbags. He sees a lot of those scumbags in his neighborhood, you know the kind that drive without driver's licenses and insurance and forge people's social security numbers and don't pay taxes. Those people make him kind of dislike Mexicans. He's never willingly broken a law in his life.

It is quite possible to not speak the language of your parents. Especially if your parents are scumbags and so you mostly hang out with your American friends after school and at the library and only come home for dinner and to sleep. The OP is familiar with a couple of these people from living in California.

Ned is one of these people. He actually thought he was American until he tried to get a job and found out he didn't have an SSN. He's always called himself American, refusing to call himself a "Mexican-American" because he doesn't believe in hyphenated Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'd apply for citizenship and start studying for the exam.
Ned would of course pass the citizenship exam with flying colors, because he got A's in U.S. History and Civics. The only problem is you can only take the citizenship exam if you already have legal permanent residency (a green card). Contrary to popular belief, illegal immigrants, international students, and temporary foreign workers are not allowed to take the citizenship exam, even if they've been in the U.S. for over twenty years.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You have no clue. I went to Mexico to study when I was in college and found it to be an excellent learning experience -- I really enjoyed it -- and it's not even my country. Guess what -- a lot of American students study in Mexico. It's really not the hideous kind of country that the pro-illegals try to make it out to be.
When Ned thinks of Mexicans, he thinks of the scumbags who deal drugs down the street and his parents who abused him when he was a kid so he got out of there as soon as he was old enough to stay with his friends. He really doesn't want to go to Mexico, even if he's never been there (except for the first 18 months of his life). He doesn't care about how great the beaches are (he prefers cold weather), or how good the tortas and caldo de res are (he prefers North Carolina BBQ and apple pie).

What's he going to do about his younger sister, who was born in the U.S.? She's not doing that well in school, whereas he is. He was going to apply for a scholarship (before he found out he was illegal), but maybe he can help her get it (since she qualifies, having birthright citizenship). Both Ned and his younger sister Valerie see themselves as American through and through, probably ever since they said the Pledge of Allegiance for the first time when they were in elementary school. Valerie still sees herself as American, but now Ned is confused because he legally isn't one.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Usuario,

Since you seem to know Ned so well why don't you tell us what Ned should do? Because you seem to be implying that Ned could be one of us and therefore we have no right to object to illegals. He isn't. If he's an illegal his problems are his to solve not ours. That's the problem with illegals: they think we should care about their needs in the middle of a recession. Arguing that Americans are entitled to benefits from our own government that Mexican aren't is a perfectly logical stance. They are foreigners and have no right to demand a damned thing from our citizenry. Their country would be far better off if they had the brains and guts to realize this and rework their society instead of constantly making demands on ours.

You're setting up an absurd scenario with nonseniscal conditions such as guy who allegedly can't even speak to his own parents. How does Ned not suspect anything if his parents don't speak English? He sounds very dumb to me. Illegals get all sorts of benefits denied to Americans including free health care. I can't skip out on medical bills if I don't have medical insurance yet they do so all the time.

We have a huge recession with millions of unemployed Americans. We do not owe Mexican nationals and the offspring they dragged here to be educated on the American dime a damned thing. I am sorry you and your fellow illegal supporters seem to mistakenly believe otherwise.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
When Ned thinks of Mexicans, he thinks of the scumbags who deal drugs down the street and his parents who abused him when he was a kid so he got out of there as soon as he was old enough to stay with his friends. He really doesn't want to go to Mexico, even if he's never been there (except for the first 18 months of his life). He doesn't care about how great the beaches are (he prefers cold weather), or how good the tortas and caldo de res are (he prefers North Carolina BBQ and apple pie).

What's he going to do about his younger sister, who was born in the U.S.? She's not doing that well in school, whereas he is. He was going to apply for a scholarship (before he found out he was illegal), but maybe he can help her get it (since she qualifies, having birthright citizenship). Both Ned and his younger sister Valerie see themselves as American through and through, probably ever since they said the Pledge of Allegiance for the first time when they were in elementary school. Valerie still sees herself as American, but now Ned is confused because he legally isn't one.
Millions of people all over the world have less than perfect lives. I wasn't aware we had a responsibility to make their lives better. Maybe Ned and Valerie's idiot parents should have thought about these problems before they decided to break our immigration laws?

Again this is the problem with too many Mexican nationals: they think Americans should make laws to make life easier for them. That's not how it works. Ned should blame his parents instead of Americans stuck in a bad economy. And then he and they should finally do the right thing, obey our laws and get the hell out of here. They should probably be fined heavily on the way out to help pay for the costs of educating their kids.

If Valerie wants to come back later she can. But birthright citizenship should be repealed. I understand she's an anchor baby and you therefore think her entire family should be allowed to skip our immigration lines but that's really unfair to those who do the right thing and wait their turn.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Umm, this is a hypothetical "put yourself in his shoes" situation. It's nice of you to flaunt your birthright. Pretend it's discovered that your biological parents aren't your actual parents, there was a switch in the hospital.
I know it was hypothetical, but I prefer to deal with reality. The fact that some illegals were brought to this country by their parents, should not entitle them to receive preferential treatment. If you enjoyed an opulent lifestyle from childhood, only to later discover your parents were drug dealers, the government certainly wouldn't offer a special program to allow you to retain their ill-gotten gains. Children must often suffer due to their parents' decision to live outside the law. And, it is indeed a decision. Why should the children of illegal aliens differ?

Obama has chosen to ignore our laws and offer deferred action. As previously stated, if you are here illegally, take advantage of DACA. It's just that simple.

Please explain how stating a fact is "flaunting" my birthright?

Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

In that case, maybe "Ned" but he should be at least going by Charlie now that he knows his real name is actually Carlos should move to a border town which are pretty influenced by the USA -- like Juarez. And then he can work on getting legal status in the USA --- like so many other but legal immigrants do.

Ned aka Charlie should realize that the fact that his parents chose to break the laws of the USA does not make him superior to all those trying to come legally. He can find his place in line -- and since he has such a fine command of English and US history, he should have it pretty easy -- at least compared to some unskilled applicant.

What other crimes did his parents commit that would make some people believe Ned aka Carlitos is entitled to special favors and rewards?

Old 09-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Usuario,

Since you seem to know Ned so well why don't you tell us what Ned should do? Because you seem to be implying that Ned could be one of us and therefore we have no right to object to illegals. He isn't. If he's an illegal his problems are his to solve not ours. That's the problem with illegals:
You are really good with the strawmen. Ned never said that Americans should care about illegals' needs. He just found out he was illegal and is talking to his American friend, or guidance counselor, or the family counsellor he's been going to to deal with the emotional crap his family is in. These are the only people who he wants to take care of him right now.

Quote:
You're setting up an absurd scenario with nonseniscal conditions such as guy who allegedly can't even speak to his own parents. How does Ned not suspect anything if his parents don't speak English? He sounds very dumb to me. Illegals get all sorts of benefits denied to Americans including free health care. I can't skip out on medical bills if I don't have medical insurance yet they do so all the time.
Answer the question. The situation is quite real and is the whole reason why the DREAM Act has provisions for illegals who want to go to college, who were brought to the U.S. when they were young kids. Personally I know of many immigrants who do not speak their parents' languages, and whose parents do not speak English. The fact that they are from Asia and not Mexico doesn't make my point any less relevant. They are certainly NOT dumb because they were in many of the same classes I was in in high school. And please tell me where this secret government department is to collect free health care. I want to pretend to be illegal and get some free healthcare, welfare, and food stamps myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration