U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:38 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,296,677 times

Advertisements

Well I don't really vote and can't think of any other instance where my citizenship has helped me out, so I don't think I'd give a damn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 AM

1,033 posts, read 571,786 times
I would self-deport back to my birth country if I was not allowed to be considered an American citizen.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,778,820 times
I would get some girl knocked up, ASAP. And I would make sure she was legal first. Then, we would get married and I would have an anchor baby and be working on my green card. Can't break up a family?!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 AM

200 posts, read 134,472 times
I don't know what I would do. Nobody does. Not even those people that are so absolutist in their values. We're not in their position. So how exactly do you know how you would act? I think that empathy is needed in some situations. I don't agree with ultimatums and grand gestures to derail such a person's life.

I honestly don't know what I would do.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,279,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
What would you do? If you were 16, grew up in America, play on your high school's football team, think you're American, and then go apply for your first job and discover that you don't have a social security number because you're illegal? All your friends are American, none of them are from your country of birth, which you've never been to since you were 18 months old anyway. You don't speak Spanish since you're not close with your parents. In fact you dislike your parents because they're "not cool": they're out of touch with American culture. They've actually kind of made you not like Mexicans. You got an A in U.S. Civics and History but you know squat about Mexico or what Cinco de Mayo is. You don't like the Hispanic gangs composed of illegal border-jumpers, but now you discover that your parents jumped the border themselves and didn't tell you about it! Your legal name is Carlos but everyone and yourself know you as "Ned". You don't know anyone in Mexico or even which part of Mexico your parents were from.

You have one more year of high school, hoping to ask this girl Debbie you like out for junior prom. You're kind of a jock but you're still serious about school and the rock band you're a drummer for. You're on the school's debate team and you've always been arguing for immigrants to assimilate and speak English and be a part of American society rather than going around and forming ethnic ghettos. You're also one of those people who argue for keeping God in the Pledge of Allegiance, and for pulling "our country, the U.S." out of the UN. The school counselor has high hopes for you to get into the top state school for college. What's the best thing to do and when should you do it?
I would take the necessary and legal steps to obtain legal residency. Without doing so, means I would live in fear of being deported.

It would also add to the list of things I would be upset at my parents about.

My mother's parents LEGALLY immigrated from Odessa Russia, before it became a Ukrainian City. My father's parents, from Poland/Germany.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,933,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
I don't know what I would do. Nobody does. Not even those people that are so absolutist in their values. We're not in their position. So how exactly do you know how you would act? I think that empathy is needed in some situations. I don't agree with ultimatums and grand gestures to derail such a person's life.

I honestly don't know what I would do.
I can empathize with others without endorsing their behavior. I clearly understand why some, out of sheer desperation, commit robbery or sell drugs. While I have the capacity to understand their motives, I still do not excuse their unlawful behavior. Nor should our laws be ignored or altered to accommodate their decision to live outside the law. Why should empathy also require the nullification of laws, or the acceptance of scofflaws?

Derail such a person's life? Yes, we should derail their lives when their lives have such a deleterious impact on the lives of others. Why should U.S. taxpayers be forced to bear the burden for their illegal presence to the tune of billions of dollars annually? Why should U.S. citizens accept declining wages and the displacement of workers for the sake of an illegal workforce? Please explain why this country owes a better life to foreigners simply because their own countries are unable or unwilling to address their needs; especially, considering these same people don't have enough respect for us to even acknowledge our right as a sovereign nation to dictate immigration laws and enforce them for the good of our country.

I may not know exactly how I would react if I were an illegal alien. But, I do know, I would not feel entitled to be treated as if I had a God-given right to be here. I do know, I would show some semblance of appreciation, and certainly would never consider making arrogant demands by marching in the streets of a country that has shown extraordinary generosity to me, despite my illegal status. I certainly would not display such flagrant insolence by demanding to be treated as an "American" while waving a foreign flag and demanding "rights" in a foreign language. I do know, I would thank this country, and would humbly ask for forgiveness for my parents' willful disregard for U.S. laws. I do know, I would return to my homeland and seek legal entry, if requested to do so. I do know, I would not expect to be placed at the front of the immigration line ahead of those waiting for years to enter this country through legal channels. I do know, I would accept the fact that I am a foreign national illegally residing in the US. In other words, I am an illegal alien. This, I do know.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,428,957 times
Quote:
What would you do? If you were 16, grew up in America, play on your high school's football team, think you're American, and then go apply for your first job and discover that you don't have a social security number because you're illegal? All your friends are American, none of them are from your country of birth, which you've never been to since you were 18 months old anyway. You don't speak Spanish since you're not close with your parents. In fact you dislike your parents because they're "not cool": they're out of touch with American culture. They've actually kind of made you not like Mexicans. You got an A in U.S. Civics and History but you know squat about Mexico or what Cinco de Mayo is. You don't like the Hispanic gangs composed of illegal border-jumpers, but now you discover that your parents jumped the border themselves and didn't tell you about it! Your legal name is Carlos but everyone and yourself know you as "Ned". You don't know anyone in Mexico or even which part of Mexico your parents were from.

You have one more year of high school, hoping to ask this girl Debbie you like out for junior prom. You're kind of a jock but you're still serious about school and the rock band you're a drummer for. You're on the school's debate team and you've always been arguing for immigrants to assimilate and speak English and be a part of American society rather than going around and forming ethnic ghettos. You're also one of those people who argue for keeping God in the Pledge of Allegiance, and for pulling "our country, the U.S." out of the UN. The school counselor has high hopes for you to get into the top state school for college. What's the best thing to do and when should you do it?

That would occur because your parents disregarded the laws of the country they elected to illegaly reside in.

It is the fault of the parents and their responsibility to address the issue. Not the government of the lawful residents of the United States of America.

It always has been a case of respect for the law.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM

939 posts, read 1,214,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
I would self-deport back to my birth country if I was not allowed to be considered an American citizen.
Thank you for answering the question. So many people seem to be spouting their unsolicited political views on illegal immigration and how illegal immigrants are bad for the economy and for the American worker. It's okay if you think Ned's problems are not America's problems. But this thread is about what you would do in Ned's shoes. Not a fictitious gangster Carlos that wants to collect foodstamps and free healthcare and steal SSNs. I'm still puzzled as to how most people think illegal immigrants get food stamps and free healthcare.

Most people hear probably don't speak a foreign language, so I tried to make the situation simpler by saying that Ned didn't speak Spanish. The average Spanish level of someone who has never visited their parent's country mostly consists of phrases like "Do your homework!" "Take care of your sister", and "Go to bed!", phrases that can be picked up at any Spanish 101 class. These phrases in no way allow you to function in an educated society, which Ned would need to find himself in in order to qualify for a visa to the U.S. Since most monolingual Americans who have never been to Latin America or Spain seem to think that taking two semesters of Spanish classes in high school makes them bilingual, I didn't want to make people think that Ned already speaks Spanish.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM

3,404 posts, read 7,333,123 times
I was born here...parent somewhere else and I couldn't speak their language until I went out of my way to learn as an adult

Old 09-07-2012, 12:44 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,933,495 times
Quote:
Thank you for answering the question. So many people seem to be spouting their unsolicited political views on illegal immigration and how illegal immigrants are bad for the economy and for the American worker. It's okay if you think Ned's problems are not America's problems. But this thread is about what you would do in Ned's shoes. Not a fictitious gangster Carlos that wants to collect foodstamps and free healthcare and steal SSNs. I'm still puzzled as to how most people think illegal immigrants get food stamps and free healthcare.

Most people hear probably don't speak a foreign language, so I tried to make the situation simpler by saying that Ned didn't speak Spanish. The average Spanish level of someone who has never visited their parent's country mostly consists of phrases like "Do your homework!" "Take care of your sister", and "Go to bed!", phrases that can be picked up at any Spanish 101 class. These phrases in no way allow you to function in an educated society, which Ned would need to find himself in in order to qualify for a visa to the U.S. Since most monolingual Americans who have never been to Latin America or Spain seem to think that taking two semesters of Spanish classes in high school makes them bilingual, I didn't want to make people think that Ned already speaks Spanish.
Do a little research, and you will know exactly "how" illegal aliens receive food stamps, free healthcare, free organ transplants, free kidney dialysis, etc.

Before I would assume most people on this forum are too uneducated to speak a foreign language, I would certainly first learn the difference between the words here and hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration