U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,136,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
roofer, sadly being a natively born So. Cal'er I know 100% what you're talking about. Unfortunately if you haven't lived in Co. Cal you really don't understand the problem
I think you meant SoCal. I totally agree. The problem there is on a different scale than CO for sure. There might be a lot here, but no where near the numbers in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM

276 posts, read 700,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Ah, yes, everyone who has been negatively impacted by illegals and wishes to avoid them in the future is automatically a klansman.

I wish that people could understand what is happening to CA and FL as well as other places. I have lived in CA,CO and FL, and I have seen the deleterious effects caused by a government that refuses to uphold the law. You are right, indeed, EscapeCalifornia. I am now ready to escape FL. Unless one has experienced what we have experienced, that person will never really understand. BUT, people will come to understand as the invasion begins to affect their particular area. There are laws that have always governed immigration, and my grandparents adhered to such laws when they arrived from Europe in the early 20th century. However, be assured that most people in this nation desire that the law be enforced. Some people will never "get it" until confronted on a personal level with the problem.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:11 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87roofer View Post
I am looking to move to highland ranch in Co. I would like to know how the Colorado government deals with illegal aliens.
For instance, I have lived in Oxnard, Ca for 26 years. I am 46 years old and have been roofing for 20+ years here. 5 years ago I made $65,000 a year with 50 hour weeks. 1 year ago I made $45,000 a year with 50+ hours a week. 7 months ago, I got laid off due to lack of work. I know for a fact 80% of roofers in Oxnard are not Americans. Most illegal aliens that I know do not pay taxes because they get payed as independant contractors and don't have taxes witheld. The last 10 years I have been training people, who don't know English, how to roof. Now I don't have a job.
I am looking for a house in Co. because a friend told me I can get a lot for the money. Even my house in Oxnard, that is in a run down neighborhood, will sell for $600,000. I am mainly sick of seeing illegal aliens buying houses next to me and renting them out to other illegal aliens. Oxnard is not a place to raise an American family. The Californian government doesn't care.
My question is: How does the Colorado government deal with illegal aliens? And how does the average legal American citizen in Colorado care about this issue?

Get used to it buddy. As more and more illegal immigrants are coming over the borders more generations of Mexicans are coming out. The more educated generations which means that we are moving up to the Middle class and beyond. I know your frustration but its just the way it is now. Say you were the contractor, would you pay a legal worker who doesn't work as fast as those immigrants $65k/yr? or Pay Jose $40,000/yr who does the work in half the time?

White people can try to run away, sooner or later we will all be living in VERY diverse areas. Does the American dream not exist in your mind?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:26 PM

94 posts, read 453,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I have a number of Hispanic friends--nearly every one of them multi-generational residents of Colorado or New Mexico. None of them are illegals. I have to agree with the other posters who take offense when they are accused of being racist or bigoted when they say that we should flat out stop illegal immigration, period. I also do think it unfair when people assume that any Hispanic must be an illegal. There are plenty of Hispanics in Colorado and New Mexico who can trace their family lineage in this place back to when this part of the country actually WAS part of Mexico.

I also agree that the reason aliens, legal or not, can come to this country and find work is because good ol' Americans are too fat and lazy to do the jobs that the aliens will. Few high school kids are expected to have a summer job or work after school anymore. I know college kids who sit on their butts all summer. I was expected to work in summers in junior high school, high school and college --and I did. I never had time to be a "mall rat." I went to a small state college, got a good education, and had no student loan to pay back. I spent my early years out of college doing hard, physical work in some jobs that most Americans would turn their noses up at now. I did it gladly. It was a great learning experience, and I "paid my dues" in the workforce. Especially, now that I'm older, I realize how lucky I was to have those experiences. People today just want to start out at the top and never have to get their hands dirty.

I love the TV program "Dirty Jobs." Everyone should have to do some of those jobs during their career. Maybe then we could get some kind of work ethic back in this country. We have become a spoiled, hedonistic, lazy country that hires outsiders to do our dirty jobs for us. Rome went that way, too, and we all (assuming "we" know any history at all--a stretch for some these days) know what happened to it.

Do I think the U.S. should close its borders, and that it has the right to determine exactly who gets to come into this country? Yes. But, for that to work, Americans are going to have to decide that they may just have to work a little harder and that some things may just have to cost a little more.

As to illegals in Colorado, yes, there are plenty--and more all of the time.
Well said JazzLover! =) If I may add my two cents.....I think the U.S. should adopt the policy that Australia has.....before one can move to Australia, they must have a job waiting for them. Also, their spouse is prohibited to work until to they attain citizenship. This policy is to (obviously) protect the native Austrailian's jobs.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 PM

56 posts, read 242,960 times
"White people can try to run away, sooner or later we will all be living in VERY diverse areas. Does the American dream not exist in your mind?"

Not just white folk that take issue to the illegal problem. And that so-called American dream exists in our minds, all we ask it that you do it legally. Is that too much to ask? Being a taxpayer and voter and all?

Oh never mind....most just don't GET IT.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:16 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,136,552 times
Quote:
Say you were the contractor, would you pay a legal worker who doesn't work as fast as those immigrants $65k/yr? or Pay Jose $40,000/yr who does the work in half the time?
I don't get this mentality, although admit it's true. I just had the house painted by a local contractor. Most of the painting crew could not speak English. I don't know if they were illegal, but they did get the house painted fast. Only problem was the company had to send a supervisor and another painter out to take care of all the mistakes. Maybe Jose can do the work in half the time but Mexico is not generally known for producing quality products and a lot of times it shows in the workmanship.
Plus they took 2 hour lunches and were standing around a lot. I know for a fact they lost a job due to the quality of work. I know I'll never recommend the company to anyone.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
I agree with you Prologic. It's one of the effects of a global economy. Much the same way that Chinese products are sold at stores, foreign labor is also available.

On point that is missing in this thread is that the illegals would go back home if there was no demand for them but people keep hiring them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Get used to it buddy. As more and more illegal immigrants are coming over the borders more generations of Mexicans are coming out. The more educated generations which means that we are moving up to the Middle class and beyond. I know your frustration but its just the way it is now. Say you were the contractor, would you pay a legal worker who doesn't work as fast as those immigrants $65k/yr? or Pay Jose $40,000/yr who does the work in half the time?

White people can try to run away, sooner or later we will all be living in VERY diverse areas. Does the American dream not exist in your mind?

Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,005,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I don't get this mentality, although admit it's true. I just had the house painted by a local contractor. Most of the painting crew could not speak English. I don't know if they were illegal, but they did get the house painted fast. Only problem was the company had to send a supervisor and another painter out to take care of all the mistakes. Maybe Jose can do the work in half the time but Mexico is not generally known for producing quality products and a lot of times it shows in the workmanship.
Plus they took 2 hour lunches and were standing around a lot. I know for a fact they lost a job due to the quality of work. I know I'll never recommend the company to anyone.
That's why I hired a guy that runs his own painting business and does the work himself. He showed up on time and did a very neat, careful job. I like owner-operators like that since they know anything not done right is going to e their problem, not some other guy's. Oh, he even speaks English.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 PM

85 posts, read 436,672 times
I'm a self employed contractor in Burbank Ca where I was born and raised, I'm 34 yrs old, I sold my house 5 months ago and my wife and 2 yr old son and I are moving to parker when our house is done being built. I'm tired of staying here and complaining and listening to others complain. I know the liberal run state of California will never do a damn thing about our issues here for fear of people's civil rights, way to many ACLU lawyers lined up just waiting to sue or tie up in court any measure that might pass. Our congressmen, senators, mayors, etc etc slant solidly to the left here so the answer to all the problems is always just to tax everyone more and more to pay for all the programs that are in place because they never took care of the problem in the first place. Our mayor Antonio villarigosa is a perfect example of where LA is headed. An ex gangmember with tatoos that failed the bar exam four or five times, then has an affair on his wife with a news reporter from tele mundo, a spanish news station, and then tells us he's commited to working hard for LA, he can't even commit to his family, it's a joke. that's just one example of hundreds that made me say "that's enough" why wait around for things to continue slide downhill.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,819 times
Wink Blaming illegals is getting old.

blah blah blah. It seems like a sick trend to blame illegal aliens for the woes of American society. How many of you "Americans" want to go work in the fields for 12+ hours a day for minimum wage?? How many americans don't pay taxes? Quite a few actually and you can't lie. Who HELPS illegals cheat on their taxes? Their own AMERICAN and MEXICAN employers because in the end it helps them. How can you sit there and not give an original thought on the situation? Everyone just repeats the same statement. "they are taking our jobs, they think they are american." You guys point out the faults in other races buy fail to acknowledge your own. I am fulled blooded Mexican that was born here in the U.S. and I can understand the frusterations of others. But what I don't understand is the HATE that people like you spew everyday. It's getting old. Blame the government who let this get out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or