Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 28,600 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to highland ranch in Co. I would like to know how the Colorado government deals with illegal aliens.
For instance, I have lived in Oxnard, Ca for 26 years. I am 46 years old and have been roofing for 20+ years here. 5 years ago I made $65,000 a year with 50 hour weeks. 1 year ago I made $45,000 a year with 50+ hours a week. 7 months ago, I got laid off due to lack of work. I know for a fact 80% of roofers in Oxnard are not Americans. Most illegal aliens that I know do not pay taxes because they get payed as independant contractors and don't have taxes witheld. The last 10 years I have been training people, who don't know English, how to roof. Now I don't have a job.
I am looking for a house in Co. because a friend told me I can get a lot for the money. Even my house in Oxnard, that is in a run down neighborhood, will sell for $600,000. I am mainly sick of seeing illegal aliens buying houses next to me and renting them out to other illegal aliens. Oxnard is not a place to raise an American family. The Californian government doesn't care.
My question is: How does the Colorado government deal with illegal aliens? And how does the average legal American citizen in Colorado care about this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 07:01 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87roofer View Post
I am looking to move to highland ranch in Co. I would like to know how the Colorado government deals with illegal aliens.
For instance, I have lived in Oxnard, Ca for 26 years. I am 46 years old and have been roofing for 20+ years here. 5 years ago I made $65,000 a year with 50 hour weeks. 1 year ago I made $45,000 a year with 50+ hours a week. 7 months ago, I got laid off due to lack of work. I know for a fact 80% of roofers in Oxnard are not Americans. Most illegal aliens that I know do not pay taxes because they get payed as independant contractors and don't have taxes witheld. The last 10 years I have been training people, who don't know English, how to roof. Now I don't have a job.
I am looking for a house in Co. because a friend told me I can get a lot for the money. Even my house in Oxnard, that is in a run down neighborhood, will sell for $600,000. I am mainly sick of seeing illegal aliens buying houses next to me and renting them out to other illegal aliens. Oxnard is not a place to raise an American family. The Californian government doesn't care.
My question is: How does the Colorado government deal with illegal aliens? And how does the average legal American citizen in Colorado care about this issue?
colorado senator governor state "undocumented immigrants" OR "illegal aliens" - Google Search

Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 AM

320 posts, read 1,732,880 times
thats quite a chip on your shoulder !!

BTW the cleaners called your hood is ready

Why even hide your hate in the form of a question? just ask are there any mexicans in HR. I am guessing the answer is NO they are more common in Commerce City from what I know. Commerce City will remind you of Oxnard Circa late 1970s

Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM

346 posts, read 1,566,166 times
I think the original poster was referring to illegal aliens, not all Hispanics. Most of us don't mind what race anyone is as long as he/she is contributing to society legally--and not looking for the U.S to take care of all their woes. I agree that it must be frustrating to see illegals taking over jobs that many U.S. citizens have held for quite some time. Some--not all-- illegal aliens act as though they deserve to be catered to--as if the U.S. owes them in some way. My grandparents, both of whom came to the U.S. (legally) from Denmark and worked hard their entire lives, would be appalled by this attitude.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Well, your question is a little strange, because law enforcement in Colorado doesn't have the authority to deport illegal aliens -- only the federal agency ICE can do that. All police in California or Colorado can do is refer the case to them. From what I understand, police in Colorado do verify documents in traffic and other violations, and if the suspect looks to be illegal their cases are referred to ICE. But from that point on, it's up to ICE to proceed with the case.

For their part, ICE has done some "raids" of late of employers who have long knowingly employed illegal aliens, the Swift meat packing plant in Greeley being a recent example.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:39 AM

106 posts, read 431,691 times
roofer, sadly being a natively born So. Cal'er I know 100% what you're talking about. Unfortunately if you haven't lived in Co. Cal you really don't understand the problem.

While we do have some problems here in Colorado, they are not nearly has prevalent as they are in California in general (and even more so in So. Cal). I can say that the vast majority of the time I can go into any fast food restaurant here and know that I can communicate with the person taking my order. Heck there's even a good chance that person is a native English speaker! It's a unique change from So. Cal. where English seems to be the second language now.

I have no direct experience in the construction industry here in Colorado (I did in So Cal as I worked as a painter for a while in college), but my neighbor used to be a residential electrician. He says there is still a lot of the illegal can barely swing a hammer correctly workers here. I think it's just part of the American business mentality right now. While companies like IBM, Dell, Mattel, Bank of America, etc... are out sourcing as much of the work they can off-shore, industries like construction are "out sourcing" the labor that has to be done here in the US. So expect to see it any place you go. Sadly.

The problems aren't of the immigrants, they are the problems of the government and people of this country that aren't stepping up and doing the right thing. We are too worried about getting our starbucks, our dream homes, and every toy in the world all as cheap as possible with out any understanding of the long term effects of what we are doing to out country, and in some cases the rest of the world.

(Dismounts soap box now)

Old 10-06-2007, 12:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
thats quite a chip on your shoulder !!

BTW the cleaners called your hood is ready

Why even hide your hate in the form of a question? just ask are there any mexicans in HR. I am guessing the answer is NO they are more common in Commerce City from what I know. Commerce City will remind you of Oxnard Circa late 1970s
Ah, yes, everyone who has been negatively impacted by illegals and wishes to avoid them in the future is automatically a klansman.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I have a number of Hispanic friends--nearly every one of them multi-generational residents of Colorado or New Mexico. None of them are illegals. I have to agree with the other posters who take offense when they are accused of being racist or bigoted when they say that we should flat out stop illegal immigration, period. I also do think it unfair when people assume that any Hispanic must be an illegal. There are plenty of Hispanics in Colorado and New Mexico who can trace their family lineage in this place back to when this part of the country actually WAS part of Mexico.

I also agree that the reason aliens, legal or not, can come to this country and find work is because good ol' Americans are too fat and lazy to do the jobs that the aliens will. Few high school kids are expected to have a summer job or work after school anymore. I know college kids who sit on their butts all summer. I was expected to work in summers in junior high school, high school and college --and I did. I never had time to be a "mall rat." I went to a small state college, got a good education, and had no student loan to pay back. I spent my early years out of college doing hard, physical work in some jobs that most Americans would turn their noses up at now. I did it gladly. It was a great learning experience, and I "paid my dues" in the workforce. Especially, now that I'm older, I realize how lucky I was to have those experiences. People today just want to start out at the top and never have to get their hands dirty.

I love the TV program "Dirty Jobs." Everyone should have to do some of those jobs during their career. Maybe then we could get some kind of work ethic back in this country. We have become a spoiled, hedonistic, lazy country that hires outsiders to do our dirty jobs for us. Rome went that way, too, and we all (assuming "we" know any history at all--a stretch for some these days) know what happened to it.

Do I think the U.S. should close its borders, and that it has the right to determine exactly who gets to come into this country? Yes. But, for that to work, Americans are going to have to decide that they may just have to work a little harder and that some things may just have to cost a little more.

As to illegals in Colorado, yes, there are plenty--and more all of the time.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 AM

88 posts, read 437,375 times
Default Cut him some slack.

He is loosing his way of life and all that he knows is being taken away from him. I know, I am feeling the same way and it is easy to point the finger at illigals. If the people he is refering to were God loving want to assimilate into America, he would not come accross as a Mexican Hater, but the fact is that he is seeing the homes around him being lived in by up to 20 people. and they want nothing to do with America other than the Pay check. I have seen first hand neighborhoods change and not reflect America, rather turn into littile china, Mexico, Phillipines or India. If people are ok with this power to them. I however do not want to assimilate into their cultures, and not because I am a hater. Because I want to live where people speak the same language and share the same dreams. White, black , brown , yellow, green, red, It's all the same to me as long as we are all desire what it means to be a good American. Trust me, the people who have lived in Colorado for the last 10 to 15 years and have not visited California have no idea what is happening to California. California is a sess pool of trash with pockets of million dollar homes.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost heaven View Post
He is loosing his way of life and all that he knows is being taken away from him. I know, I am feeling the same way and it is easy to point the finger at illigals. If the people he is refering to were God loving want to assimilate into America, he would not come accross as a Mexican Hater, but the fact is that he is seeing the homes around him being lived in by up to 20 people. and they want nothing to do with America other than the Pay check. I have seen first hand neighborhoods change and not reflect America, rather turn into littile china, Mexico, Phillipines or India. If people are ok with this power to them. I however do not want to assimilate into their cultures, and not because I am a hater. Because I want to live where people speak the same language and share the same dreams. White, black , brown , yellow, green, red, It's all the same to me as long as we are all desire what it means to be a good American. Trust me, the people who have lived in Colorado for the last 10 to 15 years and have not visited California have no idea what is happening to California. California is a sess pool of trash with pockets of million dollar homes.
I do have to agree with much of this assessment of much of urban/suburban California. I made a business trip there a couple of years ago and I was amazed how far the downhill slide of its urban areas had accelerated since I had been there a few years before that. There are still some nice rural areas in California, but--even more so than in Colorado--they are under the full-assault of automobile-induced sprawl, rapid in-migration from outsiders (out-of-state, out of country, legal or illegal), and blossoming crime and drug problems. Is it any surprise that Coloradans react with alarm and resentment of outsiders when they see the same thing happening to their home state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration