U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM
 
1,580 posts, read 1,422,338 times
Reputation: 748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
When will the law-abiding Californians take a stand? How long will they continue to allow the pandering officials to relinquish their state to foreign invaders? Eventually, there will be more illegals in CA than citizens. It's insane.

You really have the wonder when survival will trump palm trees and beautiful weather. I can't even imagine what the average property, sales and state income tax bill is for the average resident or homeowner there. I shudder at the very thought of the aforementioned, coupled with knowing that their tax dollars are at work supporting a huge population of illegal aliens and their offspring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 PM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The feds have failed their obligation.
it would mean so much more, if persons of that point of view felt the same about our wasteful, War on Drugs which only sacrifices the end of our War on Poverty to the means of denying and disparaging Individual Liberty and States' rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Since when has any State of our Union retained its former States' right over immigration, since 1808? Immigration, illegal or otherwise is not a State problem, but a federal obligation.
Federal law makes it ILLEGAL for illegal aliens to be there. Funny how the feds want states to enforce laws against marijuana and so on but Obama has a hissy fit of the states enforce other laws like against illegal immigration. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
 
6,455 posts, read 9,504,080 times
Reputation: 10764
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Since when has any State of our Union retained its former States' right over immigration, since 1808? Immigration, illegal or otherwise is not a State problem, but a federal obligation.
Read what you wrote. How is it not a state problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Federal law makes it ILLEGAL for illegal aliens to be there. Funny how the feds want states to enforce laws against marijuana and so on but Obama has a hissy fit of the states enforce other laws like against illegal immigration. Sheesh!
It is a States' right issue regarding the drug war and not a States' obligation concerning immigration. From my perspective, the people who complain about illegals the most don't really seem to care about the infringement on States' rights or State sovereignty that is even worse from our extra-Constitutional drug war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 PM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Read what you wrote. How is it not a state problem?
Can you cite where in our federal Constitution the several States still retain any of their former States' rights concerning immigration, since 1808? We do not have a unitary form of national government, but a federal government with a separation of powers, for a reason that was intelligently designed, by our Founding Fathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM
 
31,486 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Reputation: 8353
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Can you cite where in our federal Constitution the several States still retain any of their former States' rights concerning immigration, since 1808? We do not have a unitary form of national government, but a federal government with a separation of powers, for a reason that was intelligently designed, by our Founding Fathers.
The Supreme Court ruled in favor of a state's rights to enforce immigration laws by allowing the part of sb1070 to remain intact in regards to questioning those suspected of being in our country illegally. Are you saying they violated the Constitution by reaching that decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 PM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Reputation: 479
I am saying that immigration is no longer a States' right since 1808; otherwise, States would need their own immigration offices for any person from out of state, not just out of State. I am not claiming the judicature of the United States is infallible nor immune to political passions of the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Since when has any State of our Union retained its former States' right over immigration, since 1808? Immigration, illegal or otherwise is not a State problem, but a federal obligation.
States retain their ability to determine residency status and to deny residency to those that are not lawful within the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
it would mean so much more, if persons of that point of view felt the same about our wasteful, War on Drugs which only sacrifices the end of our War on Poverty to the means of denying and disparaging Individual Liberty and States' rights.
While one may have the liberty to do the drugs, the state and the nation can impose severe limitations on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
It is a States' right issue regarding the drug war and not a States' obligation concerning immigration. From my perspective, the people who complain about illegals the most don't really seem to care about the infringement on States' rights or State sovereignty that is even worse from our extra-Constitutional drug war.
Me thinks you have a mis-understanding of States Rights and State Sovereignty. You must be Libertarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Can you cite where in our federal Constitution the several States still retain any of their former States' rights concerning immigration, since 1808? We do not have a unitary form of national government, but a federal government with a separation of powers, for a reason that was intelligently designed, by our Founding Fathers.
States lost the rights to immigration much before 1808. Try the Articles of Confederation (1781).

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I am saying that immigration is no longer a States' right since 1808; otherwise, States would need their own immigration offices for any person from out of state, not just out of State. I am not claiming the judicature of the United States is infallible nor immune to political passions of the moment.
Again, States hold the rights to Residency, only legal immigrants and citizens can be residents.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 09-14-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,178 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Reputation: 18562
Um... I'm a public librarian (in California, no less), and we don't check a patron's immigration status before issuing library cards.

All you need in most libraries in SOME form of identification, and proof that you live where you claim. So how is this specifically "enabling illegal immigrants?" Do you propose we start asking for green cards before giving them a library card, or what? That being said, I guess it's up to the banks etc whether to accept them as "multi-use" IDs. Surely this isn't a library decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top