U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
One's job might never be taken by illegal immigrants, but one's tax dollars helps to support them.

Really now! that is a good line. Tell that line to those in the Construction field, roofers, tile layers, concrete contractors, many illegals have take over those jobs, and that i know for fact!

Found out in 2010 while undertaking a huge remodeling and additions project.

Infact i ended up getting the illegals and the contracor in trouble, and would proudly do it again!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
I have a real job, an education and professional qualifications. My job will never be taken by an illegal immigrant.

I live in San Diego, one of America's safest cities...yet it's one of the most overcrowded with Illegals...so maybe Illegals don't cause crime or violence. Detroit does not have many Illegals, nor does East St. Louis, New Orleans or Washington DC, yet all those places are crime-ridden and violent. El Paso is even safer than San Diego and it's on the border with Juarez.

That's why Illegal Immigration is a non-issue to me.

That and the fact that immigration laws didn't exist for the first 100+ years of this nation and then were only first enacted out of racism against the Irish, Japanese, Chinese, etc.
Well i live in a very upscale area in San Clemente, and i very much care about the issue, about the whole issue.

To not care is just plain ignorant.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,322,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Well i live in a very upscale area in San Clemente, and i very much care about the issue, about the whole issue.

To not care is just plain ignorant.
Agreed! I care because if they don't respect our immigration laws, border and sovereignty they won't respect any other rule of law.

Ya think that might be why so many of them are crowding our prisons?

To not care about the issue is to not care about the country.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Agreed! I care because if they don't respect our immigration laws, border and sovereignty they won't respect any other rule of law.

Exactly! How can anyone not care about an issue that has proven to be such an unfair burden to taxpayers? In addition, illegal immigration is a major factor in our overcrowded schools, hospital closures, depressed wages, displaced workers, and is a threat to our national security. The apathetic mentality is absolutely mind-boggling.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Quote:
I have a real job, an education and professional qualifications. My job will never be taken by an illegal immigrant.

I live in San Diego, one of America's safest cities...yet it's one of the most overcrowded with Illegals...so maybe Illegals don't cause crime or violence. Detroit does not have many Illegals, nor does East St. Louis, New Orleans or Washington DC, yet all those places are crime-ridden and violent. El Paso is even safer than San Diego and it's on the border with Juarez.

That's why Illegal Immigration is a non-issue to me.

That and the fact that immigration laws didn't exist for the first 100+ years of this nation and then were only first enacted out of racism against the Irish, Japanese, Chinese, etc.
I'm sorry, but your post is full of naivete. With illegals going to university and getting degrees at a discount, you can bet one day illegals will start entering the white collar professions

Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

And we know they don't respect our immigration laws. And we know that they won't respect any other rule of law, they lack respect for our rules.

To just plain not care about the issue no matter where you live, is ignorat, and this problem will only get worse.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:33 PM

993 posts, read 769,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you think your education and professional qualifications will shield you from illegal immigration, you had better think again. While most illegal aliens are low-skilled and uneducated Mexicans, many are well-educated and currently work in every industry in this country, including the Federal Government. In fact, you may one day be replaced by an illegal alien with qualifications that far surpass yours. Wouldn't that be a hoot?
My industry has many barriers which makes it impossible to lose my job to an illegal immigrant...or anyone who isn't a US citizen...

Quote:
I live in the DC area, which has a HUGE illegal alien population, as well as one of the largest MS-13 memberships in this country. You clearly have no factual basis for your assertion.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedDC has like 7,000 TOTAL illegal immigrants The Kardashians probably have a staff of about half that many at their house...

Where are your "facts" for that wildly inaccurate statement. DC has massive crime issues and the majority are NOT caused by MS-13, which is not a Mexican gang, BTW. Detroit, East St Louis, Philadelphia, Camden, etc. All the country's most crime-ridden cities are not ones with large illegal immigrant populations. In fact, the relationship of crime to illegal immigration in major cities is almost perfectly inverse.

Quote:
I am also educated and enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle, but that certainly doesn't prevent me from caring about others. Despite the fact that slavery and Jim Crow did not impact the lives of white Americans, many had enough compassion for other human beings to become involved. In fact, some made the ultimate sacrifice, because their moral compass would not allow them to ignore such an egregious injustice. Of course, narcissists only care about themselves.
You see, I care about others and not just those who were born in the same country as I. I believe that all people should have a path to citizenship and we should simply go by the original immigration rules that Jefferson, Washington and the rest of the founding fathers put forth. Renounce your citizenship, spend some time in America proving your worth and you too can become a citizen. Instead, we have this whole situation where people hide in the shadows, work crappy jobs and drive down the cost of labor.

All of you hard-line anti-Immigration people all forget that this nation never had a closed-door policy until long after the Civil War. Immigration laws were all enacted out of racism and prejudice, not out of intellect or economic analysis.

Last edited by Yac; 09-18-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM

993 posts, read 769,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm sorry, but your post is full of naivete. With illegals going to university and getting degrees at a discount, you can bet one day illegals will start entering the white collar professions

So why would you want to keep high-achieving college educated people from being citizens again? Why not provide those who are driven and intelligent enough to graduate college with a path to citizenship?

I wouldn't lose my job to an illegal also because one needs a Social Security number and valid forms of US-issued identification to work in my industry...

Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,133 times
Quote:
I believe that all people should have a path to citizenship and we should simply go by the original immigration rules that Jefferson, Washington and the rest of the founding fathers put forth.
You do realize they put forth a law that limited naturalization to immigrants who were "free white persons" of "good moral character", right? and that the right of citizenship did "not descend to persons whose fathers have never been resident in the United States". I'm all for going back to what Jefferson, Washington, and the rest of the founding fathers put forth.

Quote:
Renounce your citizenship, spend some time in America proving your worth and you too can become a citizen. Instead, we have this whole situation where people hide in the shadows, work crappy jobs and drive down the cost of labor.

All of you hard-line anti-Immigration people all forget that this nation never had a closed-door policy until long after the Civil War. Immigration laws were all enacted out of racism and prejudice, not out of intellect or economic analysis.
Even if they were legalized they would drive down the cost of labor as they moved into other sectors even more so. It would also drive down the cost of labor for illegals even more. Simple supply and demand economics.

Immigration laws were all enacted out of racism and prejudice, not out of intellect or economic analysis

Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:

So why would you want to keep high-achieving college educated people from being citizens again? Why not provide those who are driven and intelligent enough to graduate college with a path to citizenship?

I wouldn't lose my job to an illegal also because one needs a Social Security number and valid forms of US-issued identification to work in my industry...
Illegals steal and use social security numbers of US citizens -- so yes you could lose your job to them. More important than you are the millions of unemployed Americans out there who cannot be hired, see it's really not all about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or