Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:52 AM

990 posts, read 935,515 times

Advertisements

I have a real job, an education and professional qualifications. My job will never be taken by an illegal immigrant.

I live in San Diego, one of America's safest cities...yet it's one of the most overcrowded with Illegals...so maybe Illegals don't cause crime or violence. Detroit does not have many Illegals, nor does East St. Louis, New Orleans or Washington DC, yet all those places are crime-ridden and violent. El Paso is even safer than San Diego and it's on the border with Juarez.

That's why Illegal Immigration is a non-issue to me.

That and the fact that immigration laws didn't exist for the first 100+ years of this nation and then were only first enacted out of racism against the Irish, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:58 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,638,174 times
Not sure where you learn your history & understand your patriotism toward your country?

1795 Naturalization Act restricts citizenship to "free white persons" who reside in the United States for five years and renounce their allegiance to their former country.

1798 The Alien and Sedition Acts permit the President to deport any foreigner deemed to be dangerous. A revised Naturalization Act imposes a 14-year residency requirement for prospective citizens.

1802 Congress reduce the residency requirement for citizenship to five years.

1808 The importation of slaves into the United States is prohibited.

1850s Know Nothing political party unsuccessfully seeks to increase restrictions on naturalization.

1870 Naturalization Act limits American citizenship to "white persons and persons of African descent," barring Asians from U.S. citizenship

1892 Ellis Island opens; serves as processing center for 12 million immigrants over the next 30 years.

1921 Quota Act limits annual European immigration to 3 percent of the number of a nationality group in the United States in 1910.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 AM

990 posts, read 935,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Not sure where you learn your history & understand your patriotism toward your country?

1795 Naturalization Act restricts citizenship to "free white persons" who reside in the United States for five years and renounce their allegiance to their former country.

1798 The Alien and Sedition Acts permit the President to deport any foreigner deemed to be dangerous. A revised Naturalization Act imposes a 14-year residency requirement for prospective citizens.

1802 Congress reduce the residency requirement for citizenship to five years.

1808 The importation of slaves into the United States is prohibited.

1850s Know Nothing political party unsuccessfully seeks to increase restrictions on naturalization.

1870 Naturalization Act limits American citizenship to "white persons and persons of African descent," barring Asians from U.S. citizenship

1892 Ellis Island opens; serves as processing center for 12 million immigrants over the next 30 years.

1921 Quota Act limits annual European immigration to 3 percent of the number of a nationality group in the United States in 1910.
Thanks for proving me right. Eveyrone could become citizens...then they restricted it to only Whites or Blacks...nobody was barred from entrance and a path to citizenship during that whole period.

Tell me how the 1802 reduction in residency requirements for citizenship are in any way a RESTRICTION on immigration...

Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,638,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Thanks for proving me right. Eveyrone could become citizens...then they restricted it to only Whites or Blacks...nobody was barred from entrance and a path to citizenship during that whole period.

Tell me how the 1802 reduction in residency requirements for citizenship are in any way a RESTRICTION on immigration...
Becoming a citizen is an immigration law.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,316,837 times
Quote:
I have a real job, an education and professional qualifications. My job will never be taken by an illegal immigrant.

I live in San Diego, one of America's safest cities...yet it's one of the most overcrowded with Illegals...so maybe Illegals don't cause crime or violence. Detroit does not have many Illegals, nor does East St. Louis, New Orleans or Washington DC, yet all those places are crime-ridden and violent. El Paso is even safer than San Diego and it's on the border with Juarez.

That and the fact that immigration laws didn't exist for the first 100+ years of this nation and then were only first enacted out of racism against the Irish, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

My job can't possibly be taken by an illegal but that's beside the point. Crime isn't the only concern either.

State deficit estimate hits $16 billion - Los Angeles Times

http://www.examiner.com/article/ille...-approves-cuts

Do you honestly think that there's no tipping point? Do you honestly think that we have the resources and infrastructure to support anyone in the world who doesn't want to live in their home country?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,114,343 times
Quote:
Can we take this to mean that you don't care about anything unless it affects you directly?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,230,425 times
Quote:

One's job might never be taken by illegal immigrants, but one's tax dollars helps to support them.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,503,336 times
Quote:

If you think your education and professional qualifications will shield you from illegal immigration, you had better think again. While most illegal aliens are low-skilled and uneducated Mexicans, many are well-educated and currently work in every industry in this country, including the Federal Government. In fact, you may one day be replaced by an illegal alien with qualifications that far surpass yours. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I live in the DC area, which has a HUGE illegal alien population, as well as one of the largest MS-13 memberships in this country. You clearly have no factual basis for your assertion.

I am also educated and enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle, but that certainly doesn't prevent me from caring about others. Despite the fact that slavery and Jim Crow did not impact the lives of white Americans, many had enough compassion for other human beings to become involved. In fact, some made the ultimate sacrifice, because their moral compass would not allow them to ignore such an egregious injustice. Of course, narcissists only care about themselves.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,114,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you think your education and professional qualifications will shield you from illegal immigration, you had better think again. While most illegal aliens are low-skilled and uneducated Mexicans, many are well-educated and currently work in every industry in this country, including the Federal Government. In fact, you may one day be replaced by an illegal alien with qualifications that far surpass yours. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I live in the DC area, which has a HUGE illegal alien population, as well as one of the largest MS-13 memberships in this country. You clearly have no factual basis for your assertion.

I am also educated and enjoy a very comfortable lifestyle, but that certainly doesn't prevent me from caring about others. Despite the fact that slavery and Jim Crow did not impact the lives of white Americans, many had enough compassion for other human beings to become involved. In fact, some made the ultimate sacrifice, because their moral compass would not allow them to ignore such an egregious injustice. Of course, narcissists only care about themselves.
Benicar for President.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:21 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,503,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Benicar for President.
You're so crazy. But, thanks for the kudos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.