Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I was under the impression the feds reimbursed states for holding prisoners in this fashion. Is that not the case?
This is something that i don't know. If the offender actually committed a minor crime, would the feds be on the hook if local law enforcement saw it as being in their interest to arrest someone?

I just don't know. I don't even know where to get good information on that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is something that i don't know. If the offender actually committed a minor crime, would the feds be on the hook if local law enforcement saw it as being in their interest to arrest someone?

I just don't know. I don't even know where to get good information on that question.
I agree. Getting any type of statistics or numbers is hard and articles on this are all over the place with their numbers as well depending on the viewpoint of the author.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Is there anyone with a brain left in California? Or have they left already?
Toyman....I wouldn't be so cocky if I were you. Arizona is probably the only western state that halfass takes the illegals problem somewhat seriously.

Your home state is probably NO BETTER than California and may be worse. Am I really supposed to believe that all of those farms, ranches, and resorts in Idaho are all staffed by lily white Idahoans? I'm sure you already thought I was somewhat stupid, but as dumb as I might be, I know damn well that Idaho is overrun with cheap illegal labor....and your state government is doing squat about it.

So don't be so quick to cast stones at California because Idaho is a big ass glass house.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 09-19-2012 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 12:57 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Father of murdered teen urges Gov. Brown to veto bill ordering illegal immigrants released | Fox News

..but they have completely lost their **** with this...

"A California father whose son was murdered execution-style in 2008 by an illegal immigrant gangster has launched a campaign to persuade Gov. Jerry Brown to veto a bill that would have police release illegal immigrants into the streets even when the feds want them detained.

The controversial bill, which passed the legislature in August, would compel local law enforcement in most cases to ignore requests by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to hold illegal immigrants if they could otherwise be released."
Wasn't the murdered teen associated with the LA "Crips" I believe there are photos floating around with him waving gang signs. His memorial was plastered with condolences from gang members. This guy's son was killed over gang issues, had nothing to do with illegal immigration. I understand a parent has difficulty accepting that their own child is involved in gang activitiy, but the facts are the facts

Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Jamiel Shaw needs to sue the state of California until he owns it because of what happened to his son.

Jerry Brown and the dems in the state house are so busy pandering, and have been pandering so long it's amazing that we have any U.S. law left in this state.

I'm disgusted that he would have to petition the Governor to veto a bill that should never have been constructed in the first place.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Wasn't the murdered teen associated with the LA "Crips" I believe there are photos floating around with him waving gang signs. His memorial was plastered with condolences from gang members. This guy's son was killed over gang issues, had nothing to do with illegal immigration. I understand a parent has difficulty accepting that their own child is involved in gang activitiy, but the facts are the facts
No....he wasn't a gang member, and even if he was, he was gunned down in cold blood for absolutely nothing. He wasn't armed. And flashing gang signs is no reason to kill someone.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
No.

His murderer was in custody and his background was not checked.

It was never verified during the court case that Jamiel Shaw Jr. was affiliated with any gang.

If he had his background checked they would have discovered he was in the USA illegally and been on an immigration hold.

Because he was not, he was released into society and he killed Jamiel Shaw in cold blood within HOURS of his release from jail.

His murderer was a bully, and while in jail has been in many fights because of his bad attitude.

You did not follow the court case. You are in no position to make assumptions.

There is a thread in the True Crime section that details this case. You should familiarize yourself with it.

Jury recommends death sentence for Pedro Espinoza for killing LA High School football player Jamiel Shaw Jr.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM

635 posts, read 539,434 times
Ignore requests? From what I hear, a lot of the time the ICE declines to come and pick up illegals.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Most states are notoriously lenient on illegals, not just California. In fact, there are states that are probably far MORE lenient than California, and i'm not talking about so called "blue states" either.

The state is stuck with the bill for detaining these people....most of which i'm sure are very low level offenders. No way is the state releasing murderers. So again, it sounds to me as if the state AND the feds aren't on the same page. If the Feds insist that they be detained regardless of what they did, the Feds should step up and make sure they get them transferred.
You can bray there is no way the state will release murderers but some will always fall through the cracks in nonsense like this. Why arrest anybody anymore for crimes when you just let em go afterwards. You actually think they will pay a fine or something? What are you gonna do if they don't arrest em and let em go again? This is more pure insanity.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:46 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Toyman....I wouldn't be so cocky if I were you. Arizona is probably the only western state that halfass takes the illegals problem somewhat seriously.

Your home state is probably NO BETTER than California and may be worse. Am I really supposed to believe that all of those farms, ranches, and resorts in Idaho are all staffed by lily white Idahoans? I'm sure you already thought I was somewhat stupid, but as dumb as I might be, I know damn well that Idaho is overrun with cheap illegal labor....and your state government is doing squat about it.

So don't be so quick to cast stones at California because Idaho is a big ass glass house.
Most of the smarter California residents have already left. Unfortunately, they moved here (Idaho)! Even so, we have no issue prosecuting and jailing criminals, not rewarding them as CA does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration