U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM

3,843 posts, read 3,668,015 times

Advertisements

Father of murdered teen urges Gov. Brown to veto bill ordering illegal immigrants released | Fox News

..but they have completely lost their **** with this...

"A California father whose son was murdered execution-style in 2008 by an illegal immigrant gangster has launched a campaign to persuade Gov. Jerry Brown to veto a bill that would have police release illegal immigrants into the streets even when the feds want them detained.

The controversial bill, which passed the legislature in August, would compel local law enforcement in most cases to ignore requests by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to hold illegal immigrants if they could otherwise be released."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM

47,316 posts, read 24,619,974 times
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If the Feds want someone detained, why don't they detain them instead of asking the states to do it? Couldn't the Feds simply get the state to turn over the detainees to them?

Plus, would the state be letting actual violent illegal immigrants out of jail? Those that did something as heinous as shoot someone? That's hard to believe.

Seems to me that it's more likely that California is looking to release non-violent offenders that committed no serious crime.

I don't know....there is a lot here that is going unexplained.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If the Feds want someone detained, why don't they detain them instead of asking the states to do it? Couldn't the Feds simply get the state to turn over the detainees to them?

Plus, would the state be letting actual violent illegal immigrants out of jail? Those that did something as heinous as shoot someone? That's hard to believe.

Seems to me that it's more likely that California is looking to release non-violent offenders that committed no serious crime.

I don't know....there is a lot here that is going unexplained.
What it amounts to is a catch and release scheme on the part of a state notoriously lenient on illegals. The mere face that they are here illegally means the state should turn them over to the feds but the state wants to circumvent that and let them go so they can vanish into the wilds of CA rather then being taken into federal custody and rightfully deported.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
ICE does not have their own jails in all cities. They rely on local LE to get in touch with them and hold the prisoners until ICE comes and picks them up. ICE does not do local LE but relies on local LE to contact them.

The holding time varies but in the past few years it's gotten worse.
ICE used to be in county jails..they had an office with a full time guy but in many places ICE has been asked to leave.
Seems it came across as threatening to the illegals that got arrested.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
What it amounts to is a catch and release scheme on the part of a state notoriously lenient on illegals. The mere face that they are here illegally means the state should turn them over to the feds but the state wants to circumvent that and let them go so they can vanish into the wilds of CA rather then being taken into federal custody and rightfully deported.
Most states are notoriously lenient on illegals, not just California. In fact, there are states that are probably far MORE lenient than California, and i'm not talking about so called "blue states" either.

The state is stuck with the bill for detaining these people....most of which i'm sure are very low level offenders. No way is the state releasing murderers. So again, it sounds to me as if the state AND the feds aren't on the same page. If the Feds insist that they be detained regardless of what they did, the Feds should step up and make sure they get them transferred.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
ICE does not have their own jails in all cities. They rely on local LE to get in touch with them and hold the prisoners until ICE comes and picks them up. ICE does not do local LE but relies on local LE to contact them.

The holding time varies but in the past few years it's gotten worse.
ICE used to be in county jails..they had an office with a full time guy but in many places ICE has been asked to leave.
Seems it came across as threatening to the illegals that got arrested.
I agree, and i know this to be the case from living close to the border myself. But again, it sounds to me that the problem is indicative of the state and the feds not being on the same page. And if the state decides to hold a detainee for the feds, how long does it take the feds to actually come and get the detainee? This is what i don't know.

If it takes a while, the LE is on the hook for the detention costs, which aren't cheap.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM

14,382 posts, read 7,478,972 times
While the Obama administration shuts down Border Patrol stations and loosens U.S. immigration policy, a new report by the House Judiciary Committee reveals that upwards of 36,000 illegal aliens were cut loose by federal law enforcement between 2006 and 2011. A number of these illegal immigrants went on to commit 19 murders and 142 sex crimes.
“The crimes charged against these illegal immigrants include nearly 2,000 DUI (11.9%), over 1,400 drug violations (8.8%), and more than 1,000 major criminal offenses and violent crimes (6.9%), including murder, assault, battery, rape, kidnapping, child molestation, domestic abuse, lynching, stalking, and torture,” the report says.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I agree, and i know this to be the case from living close to the border myself. But again, it sounds to me that the problem is indicative of the state and the feds not being on the same page. And if the state decides to hold a detainee for the feds, how long does it take the feds to actually come and get the detainee? This is what i don't know.

If it takes a while, the LE is on the hook for the detention costs, which aren't cheap.
I was under the impression the feds reimbursed states for holding prisoners in this fashion. Is that not the case?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
While the Obama administration shuts down Border Patrol stations and loosens U.S. immigration policy, a new report by the House Judiciary Committee reveals that upwards of 36,000 illegal aliens were cut loose by federal law enforcement between 2006 and 2011. A number of these illegal immigrants went on to commit 19 murders and 142 sex crimes.
“The crimes charged against these illegal immigrants include nearly 2,000 DUI (11.9%), over 1,400 drug violations (8.8%), and more than 1,000 major criminal offenses and violent crimes (6.9%), including murder, assault, battery, rape, kidnapping, child molestation, domestic abuse, lynching, stalking, and torture,” the report says.
The Border Patrol has grown at an incredible rate. Those of us that live near the border can clearly see that. They've actually enhanced nearly every border patrol station in the area. They have more vehicles and other equipment than ever. Moreover, the open and close stations and checkpoints all the time. Lot of that has to do with element of surprise, and moving to where the illegal traffic has moved to.

Secondly, do you have evidence that violent illegal immigrants are being released?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM

25,333 posts, read 16,284,785 times
Is there anyone with a brain left in California? Or have they left already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration