Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,302,815 times

Advertisements

The story behind the University of New Hampshire’s ‘Bias-Free Language Guide’ - The Washington Post

Quote:
The guide defines words such as “homosexual” as “problematic,” offering “Same Gender Loving” as a more inclusive substitute. Similarly, a lack of gender-neutral bathrooms is, according to the university, “ciscentrism.”
Also 'people of size' is to replace 'overweight,' which makes no sense when you consider that everyone has a size. Some are bigger, some are smaller. We are all 'people of size.' The only question is what size--large,, medium or small. As a lifelong long distance runner, I prefer small. Dennis Kimmeto, current holder of the world marathon record is 5'7", 121 lbs. I like that. I suppose that makes me an incorrigible bigot.

Liberalism is a mental disorder...LIAMD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:15 PM

22,325 posts, read 11,842,839 times
I read the link. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that this was an article from "The Onion".

PC BS is really getting out of hand.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:08 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,579,321 times
Same gender loving? What if there's no love involved and they just want to boff?

And I hate this cis- nonsense. Sounds like cyst and doesn't teach anybody anything.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,155,549 times
Ugh, I'm so glad we didn't have that crap when I went to college 20 years ago.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,528,501 times
And I was under the apparently misinformed belief that higher education was supposed to encourage different opinions and lively debate between different viewpoints. You know, encourage individuals to think on their own, not control the message and dictate what thought was tolerated.

The current systems are anything encouraging of individualism, a perfect of trying to instill group think.

At least that is how it appears to me.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:10 PM

16,343 posts, read 8,434,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The story behind the University of New Hampshire’s ‘Bias-Free Language Guide’ - The Washington Post

Also 'people of size' is to replace 'overweight,' which makes no sense when you consider that everyone has a size. Some are bigger, some are smaller. We are all 'people of size.' The only question is what size--large,, medium or small. As a lifelong long distance runner, I prefer small. Dennis Kimmeto, current holder of the world marathon record is 5'7", 121 lbs. I like that. I suppose that makes me an incorrigible bigot.

Michael Savage always says that in his books and radio show.

As to the size issue, it is not you who is the bigot, it is the liberal wackos at the university. People of size seems to give special consideration to large individuals, not people of smaller stature.

You and others who are "vertically challenged" should demand a more inclusive term to give equal credit to those who contribute just as much as larger people.

`

Old 07-31-2015, 12:14 PM

16,343 posts, read 8,434,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Ugh, I'm so glad we didn't have that crap when I went to college 20 years ago.
I wouldn't have put up with it, just like I won't now.

If someone tries their PC thought/word rubbish on me, they get an earful to the point of them typically saying something akin to ,,, "jeesh, sorry I said anything".
So instead of extracting an apology from me (which they are use getting from people), I put them in their place to the point they regret ever having tried to get me to knuckle under.

---

BTW - What this has to do with illegal immigration is beyond me. Maybe the OP should request it be put into Current Events or POC's main section.

`

Last edited by Vector1; 07-31-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 02:40 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,075,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

In what world is 'same gender loving' not more offensive than saying homosexual or gay? Who in their right mind would want to be referred to as 'same gender loving.' That sounds exactly like an insult.

I lean liberal in plenty of areas, but PC is a very bad thing. It's getting out of hand. It's one thing to ask people to be polite and civil, but things like this are utter insanity.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 PM

6,220 posts, read 3,579,321 times
Omg this guide also condemns the words elders, senior citizens, foreigners, and Americans. When I was growing up I was actually taught to refer to people as elders or senior citizens as more respectful and less derogatory than "old people." Anyway, whatever nutjob thought of this thinks if we simply erase descriptive adjectives from our language then there will be no more prejudice. Fortunately the UNH president doesn't endorse this.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:49 AM

94 posts, read 146,880 times
wow you can't say anything anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration