U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:45 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times

Advertisements

Jobs we won't do? I've done everything from whipe arses to harvest cranberries, blueberries and potatos. I've washed dishes, waitressed, babysat, and delivered meals on wheels. It's bullcrap,.. but just keep running the wages down by hiring someone afraid to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:24 PM

348 posts, read 914,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Jobs we won't do? I've done everything from whipe arses to harvest cranberries, blueberries and potatos. I've washed dishes, waitressed, babysat, and delivered meals on wheels. It's bullcrap,.. but just keep running the wages down by hiring someone afraid to complain.
Confess, you're really an illegal

Old 10-13-2007, 06:26 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
So true......I agree 100% with your post.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:35 AM

384 posts, read 850,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I understand your concerns; note that here in Arizona the frustration is rising about the illegal immigrant problem and I hope that Congress does something--------soon.
Our federal government, including Congress, is not going to do anything unless legal American citizens start putting alot pressure on elected officials. If we had a strong federal government in the first place we would not be in this mess and the states and cities across our country who are trying to do something would not be placed in positions that they are not responsible for.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:42 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:

Shame on you ! You're the one giving Americans a bad name....working with your hands, you know Americans don't do that.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Shame on you ! You're the one giving Americans a bad name....working with your hands, you know Americans don't do that.
Speak for yourself: I do not work with my hands-------I use wrenches!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,650,441 times
I agree with many postings here...If the wages were right, many people would do the jobs...The illegals simply drove down wages, mostly hurting the African American Community (as they have the highest un-employment). Let's face it, if these jobs paid livable and decent wages, where people could support their families, they would do the work.

And, it always makes me laugh to think that people that pay about $500 per month to gas their their totally un-needed, big-butt SUVs want to pay $200 per month to have their landscaping done(???)...They value their SUVs more than their own homes...Where the hell are their values???...Their SUVs are simply stupid status symbols...

I remember one day while I was driving in a ritzy town, a woman was pulling out of a parking space right into my path...I slammed on my brakes, without touching her big-butt, SUV, that was outfitted for off-road, sports use anyway (You know, to take a beating off-road)...She jumped out of the truck with a look on her face like someone just molested her new-born child!!!...I had to laugh!!!...She needed this truck like she needed a lawn mower to trim her pedicured nails!

And again, this shows the wrong-headed values that people place on things...Like the value of paying someone to paint your house, mow your lawn, or take care of your children...Too many people want to get these services for as cheap as possible, while they'll pay exorbirant prices for "status symbols", like SUVs, designer clothing, and other overpriced nonsense.

Everyone has a right to do what they want with their money...But, let's face it, too often people have no respect for the value of other people....And, that's what it comes down to...

Last edited by migee; 10-13-2007 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling

Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
So maybe we shut down the DEA and shift the federal resources to ICE, build the fence and unleash the feds on business that hire illegals.

jurisdiction problems solved
Why do you insist we have to perpetually waste money on public policy that has never worked, in the history of the US?

Why not implement a permanent and market friendly solution to migrant labor market participation? A market friendly work visa program could solve the problem of illegal migrant labor market participation, and reduce public and private sector costs in the process.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:01 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Our federal government, including Congress, is not going to do anything unless legal American citizens start putting alot pressure on elected officials. If we had a strong federal government in the first place we would not be in this mess and the states and cities across our country who are trying to do something would not be placed in positions that they are not responsible for.
The same could be said of better and more market friendly public policy; without the cost burden of enforcement practices that have less to do with individual liberty, and more to do with forms of communism.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:09 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I
And again, this shows the wrong-headed values that people place on things...Like the value of paying someone to paint your house, mow your lawn, or take care of your children...Too many people want to get these services for as cheap as possible, while they'll pay exorbirant prices for "status symbols", like SUVs, designer clothing, and other overpriced nonsense.

Everyone has a right to do what they want with their money...But, let's face it, too often people have no respect for the value of other people....And, that's what it comes down to...
Much as I have argued on BOTH sides of this very contentious issue, I have to admit that I live in Southern California. Within a very short distance of my home (which is itself, quite unusual--the final remnants of a once-huge Spanish land grant) are huge low-income barrios, very close to the most ostentatious planned communities. And your post is quite correct. It is quite possible for "normal" healthy people to paint their OWN homes---to clip their OWN landscaping---and even to wash their OWN cars (gasp)!...

But in the surreal world created here in the past two or three decades, these jobs have become customary for "normal" people to "hire out". Some very ordinary folks even have a weekly housekeeper/maid service.

The reasons for this could fill several books, but for starters, I'd suggest:

(1) The nearness and poverty of Mexico, providing a "hungry", willing and adaptable (and exploitable) workforce...

(2) The unwillingness or inability of the American parent to get his OWN kid (or HIMSELF) outside to do "gardening" chores...

(3) The huge number of planned communities which discourage any sort of "do-it-yourself" projects in any outdoor location....

(4) Two wage-earner families in which time off is considered too rare and precious to "waste" on household duties or tedious jobs....

(5) A comptetiveness built in to the American culture which convinces us we NEED to have "servants", mainly because our NEIGHBORS do....

We could probably all expand on this list indefinitely. Some illegals do, of course, "take away jobs Americans could do"...but others, it must be admitted, fill jobs which they themselves have created, in the wide-open market that comes from our modern "yuppie" lifestyle. And many of us are glad to have them, as we loudly grumble about their presence....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or