U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 11:10 AM

537 posts, read 314,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
And, it always makes me laugh to think that people that pay about $500 per month to gas their their totally un-needed, big-butt SUVs want to pay $200 per month to have their landscaping done(???)...They value their SUVs more than their own homes...Where the hell are their values???...Their SUVs are simply stupid status symbols...

I remember one day while I was driving in a ritzy town, a woman was pulling out of a parking space right into my path...I slammed on my brakes, without touching her big-butt, SUV, that was outfitted for off-road, sports use anyway (You know, to take a beating off-road)...She jumped out of the truck with a look on her face like someone just molested her new-born child!!!...I had to laugh!!!...She needed this truck like she needed a lawn mower to trim her pedicured nails!
OK...OK, you hate SUVs and those that drive them. We got that.

I do agree that people in this country are way too assorbed with the status symbols of this country, whether it be vehicle or anything else. Have youy seen the big honking homes that some live in? Why in the world do people think they need such large homes for two adults and maybe 1-3 children? Look at what John Edwards had built for his family. Is that not ignorance at its best? In my mind it is.

But, and this is the big but...If people can afford said Big Honking SUVs and Big Honking homes, I guess they have that right since this is American and we pride ourselves on the supposed freedoms that we allow people. Wouldn't you agree?

I drive a Big Honking SUV. Why? Because I go off road a lot to go fishing and camping and such and I don't want to be stuck somewhere. We can afford it and I find that the people who scream the loudest about gas-guzzling SUVs are usually people who just can't afford them and are actually jealous of the people who can and do. Of couyrse this is not always true, but it really is much of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 01:18 PM

13,758 posts, read 23,277,448 times
Before we digress further into the wisdom or excess of SUV ownership, please get back on topic of the thread, jobs and who would do them (if anyone).

Old 10-13-2007, 01:32 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,645,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Before we digress further into the wisdom or excess of SUV ownership, please get back on topic of the thread, jobs and who would do them (if anyone).
OK, I'll chip in. Take the hypothetical situation of a married American---say, the manager of a tire shop. His wife is a receptionist in a doctor's office. They hire an illegal Mexican maid--(let's call her "Blanca"--after all, there are WHITE Mexicans ).
This couple is not affluent. They make a modest double income. They pay the maid a small amount to show up one morning per week. She keeps ahead of some of the more tedious chores, and is happy to do so. (she has many other clients).
This couple could never afford a LEGAL person to do this job, and they know it. If "Blanca" ever quit, they'd simply learn to do without her services.

QUESTION: Is "Blanca" doing a job an American would do? Or is she simply doing a job that is only there because of her presence, and the opportunity this gives to her, and her customers, to "work out a deal"?

I think that's a fair question....

Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 PM

191 posts, read 654,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I'd pay more if I could be GUARANTEED that the people doing the work were not illegal.
Absolutely. I completely agree.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 PM

491 posts, read 1,293,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel View Post
Absolutely. I completely agree.
are you willing to pay 4-5 times more? at the minimum?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:57 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,559,783 times
This topic will be beaten to death -

Americans would and have done these jobs....

I wanted to add: I know alot of American Citizens who work in Packing Houses.

Last edited by Torn2pieces; 10-13-2007 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,701,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
are you willing to pay 4-5 times more? at the minimum?
If not; either the work does not get done or we will need to do things ourselves.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If not; either the work does not get done or we will need to do things ourselves.
or the fruit just sits their and rots, like it does in many places already because no one is willing to pick it. instead they just ship in the fruit, vegetables and juices from other countries. yeah, thats a great alternative.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:27 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,559,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
or the fruit just sits their and rots, like it does in many places already because no one is willing to pick it. instead they just ship in the fruit, vegetables and juices from other countries. yeah, thats a great alternative.
Oh please -

Things will and would get done, without the ILLEGAL ALIENS....

Old 10-13-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Oh please -

Things will and would get done, without the ILLEGAL ALIENS....
well it already isn't getting done. unless you know of some kids who are willing to work for minimum wage or less...

the farms, at least in this area, cannot stay open for business without it.

sometimes the LEGAL hispanics will even do the work for less, because they don't have many other skills and need the $$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or