U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 08:42 AM

2,257 posts, read 3,453,686 times

Advertisements

Theres already a solution in place. We need to enforce Federal immigration laws at all levels of government. First secure the border, second deport all people who are in the US without status

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Why do you insist we have to perpetually waste money on public policy that has never worked, in the history of the US?

Why not implement a permanent and market friendly solution to migrant labor market participation? A market friendly work visa program could solve the problem of illegal migrant labor market participation, and reduce public and private sector costs in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:55 AM

Im going to need to see proof of this rotting fruit. Alot of times a harvest will sit in storage because the farmer grew the crop only because of Governement subsidies. Mostly these are field crops like wheat and grain in huge silos in the midwest. Alot of those crops are sent to the UN to be distributred to countries in famine crisis.

An increase in the wages paid to harvest fruit and produce wouldnt effect the consumer price as much as people like to think. It would also force these industries to start using mechanical harvesting technoligies that have been researched, developed and proven to work. The status quo of slave driving illegal immigrants makes implementing these technologies cost prohibitive in the short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
or the fruit just sits their and rots, like it does in many places already because no one is willing to pick it. instead they just ship in the fruit, vegetables and juices from other countries. yeah, thats a great alternative.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADY_DI View Post

ALL THE JOBS THAT AMERCANS WONT DO IVE DONE

gardening

lawn mowing
nannny
wash dishes
fast food
ship/packing
factory
laundry

housekeeper

NOT BAD FOR A LAZY BORN WHITE AMIERCAN

IF YOU WANT TO WORK YOU WILL, TAKE ANY JOB OUT THERE TO FEED YOUR FAMILY. MAYBE IF BUSH WOULD STOP TELLING EVERYONE THAT ANERICANS ARE LAZY ,THE MEXICANS WOULD GO AWAY AND WE WILL HAVE MORE JOBS
Well, it sounds to me like you're guilty of "putting illegals out of work" by your selfish willingness to do the jobs you're not "supposed" to do

SERIOUSLY, though, I believe you. I'm sure you've done these jobs. I myself have a history of "undesirable" jobs way back in my younger days.

But I still say there's a lot more to it than that. The fact that Americans ONCE did these jobs does NOT mean their kids are willing to. I'll bet you could take any group of American high-school students, interview them, and find very few interested in picking fruit, cleaning toilets, or working in a car wash. Your own post contains a big "IF", and I think that's the key. IF we'd do these jobs, we could. But most of us, for various reasons, WON'T.

Remember that even Al Gore used to work in the hot sun in the "Tabakah" fields. I'm sure he did--for about six weeks each summer diuring breaks from his college classes. But it would be totally misleading to say that an illegal alien, working today weeding a tobacco field, is the "guy who took away Al Gore's job". That would be quite a "stretch"...

Old 10-14-2007, 10:53 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Theres already a solution in place. We need to enforce Federal immigration laws at all levels of government. First secure the border, second deport all people who are in the US without status
I am not sure I understand your definition of "solution", since your definition has never worked in the history of the US.

How much will enforcement cost? Will it reduce public and private sector costs, and ensure individual liberty as enumerated in our Constitution?

If not, then why not implement market friendly public policy that can reduce public and private sector costs, and ameliorate the effects of frictional unemployment for US labor market participants.

Why do you insist on public policy that will not reduce our tax burden?

Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I am not sure I understand your definition of "solution", since your definition has never worked in the history of the US.

How much will enforcement cost? Will it reduce public and private sector costs, and ensure individual liberty as enumerated in our Constitution?

If not, then why not implement market friendly public policy that can reduce public and private sector costs, and ameliorate the effects of frictional unemployment for US labor market participants.

Why do you insist on public policy that will not reduce our tax burden?
Why hasn't it worked??
1. The laws are seldom enforced
2. The trespassers are seldom deported in a timely manner
3. Bleeding hearts keep interfering with the due process
4. We aren't even allowed to shoot the drug runners.
5. The way the system is implimented takes all the teeth out of the enforcement arm.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 PM

Why not implement market friendly public policy that can reduce public and private sector costs, and ameliorate the effects of frictional unemployment for US labor market participants?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 AM

Try this free market cures all ails schtick. If we look at labor as a market of its own then American labor is getting the shaft if we let ONE foreign worker into this country. If we have to pay field workers $15 bucks an hour and hotel maids $20 then im all for it. Corporate americas been getting a free ride on labors back for to long.

A rising tide lifts all boats

Hows that for a labor market freindly solution

Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 AM

It depends on the free market implementation of public policy. It is not so much a free ride, but a willingness to exploit mediocre public policy for their own private profit motive.

How much infrastructure development has the US been engaged in since FDR? Instead of useless wars on abstractions, why aren't jobs being created to that will improve our standard of living for the next generation or two? How many "Hoover Dam's" could we be building, instead of wasting money on more extra-constitutional police-state functionality.

Last edited by danielpalos; 10-15-2007 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 AM

Useless wars on abstractions eh. Thats your opinion.

Military Idustrial complex is US

Infrastructure? My brother has a really good paying job at a near by shipyard all because of free makets and public policy , Wish I could get in there.

You as an individual do not decide what is best for America. Me I just dont like competing with slave wage earners from the rest of the world

Last edited by bryan61; 10-15-2007 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 11:28 AM

What are we getting out of the war on drugs?

How many homeless people does the DEA rescue from poverty?

Do we have a modern, underground power grid connecting all fifty states, so that power generated in any state can be delivered to any other state?

Do municipalities have hydrogen powered bus fleets to reduce dependence on foreign oil and reduce greenhouse gas emissions; and provide incentives for the private sector to "free ride" on those technology advances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or