U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 AM

2,257 posts, read 3,455,377 times

Advertisements

All great ideas, I could add to the list.

Im still tired of competing with 3rd world slave labor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,100,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
All great ideas, I could add to the list.

Im still tired of competing with 3rd world slave labor
What if a market friendly work visa program provided some revenue for retraining, or simply allowed you to be a couch potato to do with your time as you wish?

You could go to college, attend vocational school, or the arts, if you don't want to compete with third world labor in your current profession.

Maybe some business courses would enable to start your own business, and hire some third worlders to help you achieve some of your pet projects that currently aren't feasible.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 PM

658 posts, read 2,187,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
lawn mowing
gardening
nanny
pick fruit vegies
agriculture
walk beans
landscaping
packing house
roofing
painting
drywaller
framing/carpenter
road construction
wash dishes
cook
haul garbage
shipping/packing
factory/ assembly
laundry
houskeeping
I'm sure I missed some.hmmmmm...this list just keeps getting bigger every year, are you the next American that wont do your job?
i know i completely agree (sarcasm)whatever did we do before illegals plagued our country? every lawn and backyard must have looked like a jungle the sidewalks must have been landfills everybodys clothes must have had stains all over them because we were so lazy
f.y.i its not that american citizens wont do those jobs,its that those jobs are being stolen by illegals

Old 10-15-2007, 01:58 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
i know i completely agree (sarcasm)whatever did we do before illegals plagued our country? every lawn and backyard must have looked like a jungle the sidewalks must have been landfills everybodys clothes must have had stains all over them because we were so lazy
f.y.i its not that american citizens wont do those jobs,its that those jobs are being stolen by illegals
...so where's the sarcasm?.......

Old 10-15-2007, 02:49 PM

Maybe you can convince your legislators to require that Fortune 500 senior management be staffed only with illegals; to reduce costs and increase share value for the stockholders.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,455,377 times
I have Bachelors degrees in Business and Psychology. In 2005 I got an AAS degree in Computer Systems Technology through a NAFTA retraining grant when they sent my Machinist position overseas.

The US entry into the "third" world market has destroyed the manufacturing base of this country. That is what happend to your precious infrastructure and friendly market policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
What if a market friendly work visa program provided some revenue for retraining, or simply allowed you to be a couch potato to do with your time as you wish?

You could go to college, attend vocational school, or the arts, if you don't want to compete with third world labor in your current profession.

Maybe some business courses would enable to start your own business, and hire some third worlders to help you achieve some of your pet projects that currently aren't feasible.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:13 PM

18,102 posts, read 20,067,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Astrogal, you may be right that there are some Americans who are spoiled but most of them are kids. It is sometimes hard to find a young kid with no responsibilities bust his a*s. But there are many Americans and Legals adults who WANT to work and NEED to receive a decent salary to care for their family. Unfortunately the immigration problem prevents them from doing that. This illegal problem is KILLING America and it's bigger than a few hard working illegals. There are some who will work hard but the bottom line is, they BROKE THE LAW & LIE...........Is that really someone you want working for you or teaching your children or living in your neighborhood? Would you knowingly hire an American that you know had a criminal record for lying/stealing, etc.?

Haven't read through this whole thread yet and want to state first off that illegal immigrants are hurting our country and they need to go home.

Now that being said what is really "killing America" is a lot of Americans being lazy and living above their means. I worked for 18 years in a factory(it moved to mexico) that had a supplemental program for new hires. They would essentially be "on call" for regular workers (1200-1400)that called off their shift if regular workers turned down the overtime. The majority of this pool of workers would work their butts off while they were in the pool but once they got hired full time they started coming back from their breaks late, calling off work, doing their jobs half way etc. Were they young kids? No not all of them because we have had too many factories close here in Indiana so even 30-50 year olds were being hired the same way as young adults.

Americans need to wake up to the fact if you call off work, run scrap of the product you are hired to make, "borrow" supplies from your company, abuse the rules of your company you are only hurting yourself and your co workers! It is just one more step to the front door when that company decides to close!

We don't "have" to drive a brand new car, we don't "have" to live in multi thousand dollar homes, we don't "have" to buy all the boy toys, we don't "have" to wear a different pair of shoes & purse with each outfit, and our young children don't "have" to carry cell phones! Americans have become so materialistic and now that times are getting harder we want to cry foul.

Ask yourself if you owned the company you worked for would you want your employees to work like you do? If you can honestly say yes then great but if you say no then look in any mirror and ask yourself what can I do better to secure my job?

See illegal immigrants can work as hard or as lazy as they want to because they have nothing vested in their future there.

Stepping down off my soapbox now.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:30 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,621,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Haven't read through this whole thread yet and want to state first off that illegal immigrants are hurting our country and they need to go home.

Now that being said what is really "killing America" is a lot of Americans being lazy and living above their means. I worked for 18 years in a factory(it moved to mexico) that had a supplemental program for new hires. They would essentially be "on call" for regular workers (1200-1400)that called off their shift if regular workers turned down the overtime. The majority of this pool of workers would work their butts off while they were in the pool but once they got hired full time they started coming back from their breaks late, calling off work, doing their jobs half way etc. Were they young kids? No not all of them because we have had too many factories close here in Indiana so even 30-50 year olds were being hired the same way as young adults.

Americans need to wake up to the fact if you call off work, run scrap of the product you are hired to make, "borrow" supplies from your company, abuse the rules of your company you are only hurting yourself and your co workers! It is just one more step to the front door when that company decides to close!

We don't "have" to drive a brand new car, we don't "have" to live in multi thousand dollar homes, we don't "have" to buy all the boy toys, we don't "have" to wear a different pair of shoes & purse with each outfit, and our young children don't "have" to carry cell phones! Americans have become so materialistic and now that times are getting harder we want to cry foul.

Ask yourself if you owned the company you worked for would you want your employees to work like you do? If you can honestly say yes then great but if you say no then look in any mirror and ask yourself what can I do better to secure my job?

See illegal immigrants can work as hard or as lazy as they want to because they have nothing vested in their future there.

Stepping down off my soapbox now.
Good points. May you gain in credibility the points you will lose in popularity. Not many people are going to welcome your message, but it's true....

Old 10-15-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I have Bachelors degrees in Business and Psychology. In 2005 I got an AAS degree in Computer Systems Technology through a NAFTA retraining grant when they sent my Machinist position overseas.

The US entry into the "third" world market has destroyed the manufacturing base of this country. That is what happend to your precious infrastructure and friendly market policy.
You seem to be implying that US domestic policy had nothing to do with it.

How many illegals work in the DEA or Homeland Security? Maybe we can lower our tax burden if they have to hire illegals.

How many more "Hoover Dam's" have been built lately?

Why did California have rolling blackouts during peak energy use seasons? We wouldn't have had any of that; and, deregulation would have worked, with a state of the art energy transmission grid.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 AM

18,102 posts, read 20,067,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
Are you going to tell a lifelong farmer and his family that he has to give up the family business?
No just think about changing crops. If farmers don't change with the times they are not keeping up with the times. With hay prices so high in our area I wish I had about 600 acres to put out hay!

We use to have a ton of high school boys here putting up hay in the 70's & 80's! Nobody including teenagers should have to work for less than minimum wage. With illegal immigrants doing it that lessens our fiber that holds our country together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or