U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,718,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Not low price produce, produce at all, and meat, who works in the slaughter houses?

No one has shown that illegals have a negative impact on the nation, Obviously with between 6 and 10 million gainfully employed it should be obvious that the impact is pretty darned positive
Who used to work in the slaughterhouses? American citizens. And it used to pay a living wage.
There are a multitude of examples throughout this forum of the negative impact illegals have had on the US. Here's one: 70% of the births at Parkland in Dallas are to illegal aliens. One way or another, these are paid for with taxpayer dollars. This benefits us how? Also overcrowding of our schools with students requiring ESL and other expensive services, decline in neighborhood property values and decreased quality of life for residents, ER closures, costs of incarceration for illegal aliens who commit crimes, potential public health threats from TB and other diseases, the cost of car accidents with uninsured drivers, low skilled Americans losing jobs to them, and so on. If you choose to conveniently ignore all of this, that is your business. You are entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 11:54 AM

13,757 posts, read 23,260,363 times
Adding a Parkland story link, with $ information, since you specifically stated that hospital in your posting:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Parkland Memorial Hospital and Illegal Immigrants

Old 11-12-2007, 01:45 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,105,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Who used to work in the slaughterhouses? American citizens. And it used to pay a living wage.
There are a multitude of examples throughout this forum of the negative impact illegals have had on the US. Here's one: 70% of the births at Parkland in Dallas are to illegal aliens. One way or another, these are paid for with taxpayer dollars. This benefits us how? Also overcrowding of our schools with students requiring ESL and other expensive services, decline in neighborhood property values and decreased quality of life for residents, ER closures, costs of incarceration for illegal aliens who commit crimes, potential public health threats from TB and other diseases, the cost of car accidents with uninsured drivers, low skilled Americans losing jobs to them, and so on. If you choose to conveniently ignore all of this, that is your business. You are entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts.
This would be much less of a problem, if we had a market friendly work visa program. We would have no illegals, since they would all be fined and issued a work visa. Any potential labor market participants would want to reduce their private costs by obtaining a work visa without the cost of a fine.

Since a work visa and a residency visa are not the same thing, many people would not need to have children in order to stay and work in the US.

An insurance component added to a hypothetical work visa could also reduce costs to both the public and private sectors while being market friendly.

Why does the opposing view point have a problem with lowering their public and private sector costs?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:29 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,076,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
This would be much less of a problem, if we had a market friendly work visa program. We would have no illegals, since they would all be fined and issued a work visa. Any potential labor market participants would want to reduce their private costs by obtaining a work visa without the cost of a fine.

Since a work visa and a residency visa are not the same thing, many people would not need to have children in order to stay and work in the US.

An insurance component added to a hypothetical work visa could also reduce costs to both the public and private sectors while being market friendly.

Why does the opposing view point have a problem with lowering their public and private sector costs?
Nonsense.

What makes you think that illegals will obey this new law? What makes you think that illegals will follow any law we implement?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,167,687 times
I received a Molly Maid flyer today. There were two Beautiful White women, yet when they come to your house two Mexican ladies in their 40's come. Ohhh the irony.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM

13,073 posts, read 21,218,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
I received a Molly Maid flyer today. There were two Beautiful White women, yet when they come to your house two Mexican ladies in their 40's come. Ohhh the irony.
What do you care what your maid looks like? Are you implying that Mexican women in their 40s can't be attractive?

I think the service you have in mind isn't housecleaning.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,167,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What do you care what your maid looks like? Are you implying that Mexican women in their 40s can't be attractive?

No, I find it ironic that they would post two pictures of White ladies on the card and not put pictures of who really is coming.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:17 PM

13,073 posts, read 21,218,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
No, I find it ironic that they would post two pictures of White ladies on the card and not put pictures of who really is coming.
I suspect a national chain has more than two ladies cleaning for them, incidentally, so I doubt that you would ever see the exact person in an add show up at your door. This is a ridiculous point as far as I'm concerned, because if you're hiring someone to look good, you don't go to a maid service anyways.

If they used photos of exclusively hispanic-looking women to market their service, then the hispanic community would be in an uproar over the "racism" of using hispanics to represent their housekeeping service.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The level of political correctness needed to get through a day in this country is staggering, and is part of the problem of the sissification of the US.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:40 PM

17,286 posts, read 25,015,617 times
Quote:

If they used photos of exclusively hispanic-looking women to market their service, then the hispanic community would be in an uproar over the "racism" of using hispanics to represent their housekeeping service.

Exactly! I always notice the same thing on television as well for "Merry Maids" and even that scrubbing bubbles auto shower cleaner thing. The maids depicted are usually white middle class looking women, and everyone knows the reason why they won't show 4'-2" Central American women on commercials is because the "Hispanic" lobby would be up in arms.

Although apparently a lot of Russian and Eastern European immigrants also take up domestic service in some markets.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:44 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,718,103 times
Quote:

ProLogic! Shame on you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or