U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 03:17 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,073,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Exactly Nomander, I was being sarcastic!!!!
Doh! My bad, went right over my head. *chuckle*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Nonsense.

What makes you think that illegals will obey this new law? What makes you think that illegals will follow any law we implement?
Because it could be market friendly, they would have an economic incentive to obey a simple law.

Why would a current illegal have any incentive to stay illegal, if they could be legal via a simple and market friendly work visa fee and fine?

By obtaining formal permission to live and work in the US, those formerly illegal labor market participants would have the same incentive as any other legal residents have to obey the laws.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,053,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
lawn mowing
gardening
nanny
pick fruit vegies
agriculture
walk beans
landscaping
packing house
roofing
painting
drywaller
framing/carpenter
road construction
wash dishes
cook
haul garbage
shipping/packing
factory/ assembly
laundry
houskeeping
I'm sure I missed some.hmmmmm...this list just keeps getting bigger every year, are you the next American that wont do your job?
I'm an American framer, all of my coworkers, are also white american framers. I know plenty of white sheetrockers. In fact almost everyone I've come into contact with in the construction world is a white American. Its not that Americans won't take these jobs, they won't take them for 3 bucks an hour like mexicans do.
BTW as far as crop pickers go, why can't we just use minimum security prison labor. You wouldn't have to pay them minimum wage.

And here's an idea, mow your own damn lawn.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I'm an American framer, all of my coworkers, are also white american framers. I know plenty of white sheetrockers. In fact almost everyone I've come into contact with in the construction world is a white American. Its not that Americans won't take these jobs, they won't take them for 3 bucks an hour like mexicans do.
BTW as far as crop pickers go, why can't we just use minimum security prison labor. You wouldn't have to pay them minimum wage.

And here's an idea, mow your own damn lawn.
As you could probably imagine.. there aren't a lot of Mexicans in Idaho..

Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,961,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
As you could probably imagine.. there aren't a lot of Mexicans in Idaho..

Which again, only goes to the fact that too often, BUT FOR the availability of our permanent underclass of neo-slaves, there is no "need" for illegals.

Or is there something about the weather in states close to the Mexican border that makes Americans less willing to do certain jobs that Americans in other parts of the country have no problem doing?

Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,453,686 times
There is a legal, market friendly immigration process already in place. They ignored the law and now you want to reward them. I say turn up the heat on illegals as high as we can, while at the same time employing immigrants that come here to work through legal channels. Whats wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Because it could be market friendly, they would have an economic incentive to obey a simple law.

Why would a current illegal have any incentive to stay illegal, if they could be legal via a simple and market friendly work visa fee and fine?

By obtaining formal permission to live and work in the US, those formerly illegal labor market participants would have the same incentive as any other legal residents have to obey the laws.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
There is a legal, market friendly immigration process already in place. They ignored the law and now you want to reward them. I say turn up the heat on illegals as high as we can, while at the same time employing immigrants that come here to work through legal channels. Whats wrong with that?
That is the whole point of my argument. If there were a market friendly work visa program in place, we would not now have an illegal problem to discuss.

The only problem with the form of prohibition that you advocate is, that it has never worked in the history of the US.

What is wrong with simply fining current illegals, and generating fee revenue from the labor market participants that go through legal channels?

A work visa is not the same as a residency visa. A hypothetical, and market friendly work visa program could be made renewable annually.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
That is the whole point of my argument. If there were a market friendly work visa program in place, we would not now have an illegal problem to discuss.

The only problem with the form of prohibition that you advocate is, that it has never worked in the history of the US.

What is wrong with simply fining current illegals, and generating fee revenue from the labor market participants that go through legal channels?

A work visa is not the same as a residency visa. A hypothetical, and market friendly work visa program could be made renewable annually.
So you would reward the illegals for violating our laws? You would reward people for cheating? What message would that send? Dont wait come now before they change their minds....
No sir. There should always be a penalty for breaking the law, for cheating the system.. I always taught my son a dishonest victory is no victory at all. Its worse than loosing because you didnt even try to win fair.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I suspect a national chain has more than two ladies cleaning for them, incidentally, so I doubt that you would ever see the exact person in an add show up at your door. This is a ridiculous point as far as I'm concerned, because if you're hiring someone to look good, you don't go to a maid service anyways.

If they used photos of exclusively hispanic-looking women to market their service, then the hispanic community would be in an uproar over the "racism" of using hispanics to represent their housekeeping service.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The level of political correctness needed to get through a day in this country is staggering, and is part of the problem of the sissification of the US.

Hispanic women-----------------------------from Argentina

Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Funny to see most of the Latin American models are basically, White. For the record... Miss Mexico looks 10x better than Miss Argentina

Miss Mexico and Miss International 2007.

Last edited by ProLogic; 11-13-2007 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or