U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:57 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,040,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
This illegal immigration thing was a problem way before Clinton. This immigration problem was not just created by a Democrat or Republican solely - it was created by BOTH parties and elected congressional officials who were turning a blind eye in exchange for future campaign contributions, all while selling out the citizens of this country.

Just a side note, there are many legal and documented Mexicans, upset about the illegals too, it's not just natural born Americans.
Good post, I agree the immigration problem has been around for many years, but not quite as bad as it is now. I think Bush & Company have done the best job of all though at selling the people of this country down the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 05:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,282,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
How many non-English speaking illegals are being hired for English speaking customer service jobs, or multi-million dollar bonus jobs?
Call any bank or customer service and get the person who can 'barely speak English,' but CAN speak Spanish (or some Indian dialect). It happens all the time. These people SHOULD NOT be on the phone dealing with customers. They cannot understand a person speaking English!

We used to go to a medical practice back in NY where the receptionists could barely speak 2 words of English and had HUGE attitudes--after a few months we realized they were hired to cater to the huge Hispanic population that suddenly began frequenting the doctor.

I think it's wonderful to be muli-lingual but PLEASE pay people a decent salary and get them to SPEAK ENGLISH when Americans need help with their banking or other customer service needs.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Most of the blame can be traced back to 1965 when the quota system was abolished and sad to say Democrats were by and large responsible being as they had total control of the government then.
The 1960's Dems; suffice to say, left a lot to be desired-------most of their programs were failures IMHO.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:52 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
10 an hour....400 a week before taxes...taxes usually take out about 33% of your check...so that is 268 take home per week...roughly....1072 a month. The only place were you will e making 10 an hour entering the work force is in a major city...most places start you at 7.00-7.50....only cause they have now been forced to. SO...if I am making a grand a month, I can expect my rent to be in the neigborhood of 800...so that leaves 272 and I still haven't paid my electric,gas or any utilities. Not going out to eat and cooking at home...if you are good...you can live on 5.00 a day....so food alone is AT LEAST 150 a month....geez....I don't seem to have enough money to get to work? Not that I could have a car cause how could I pay insurance let alone gas? 10 an hour a GOOD WAGE????? That is not good for young or old legal or illegal!!!!
33% tax burden on $400 gross a week? Unless your deductions are insanely high; the percentage should be about 20-25% unless health insurance, etc. is included.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 AM

537 posts, read 312,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Well i have stayed in upscale hotels (4 seasons, Marriott Desert Ridge) and have asked employees in the halls (yes usually someone in housekeeping) a question and get speak no English response).
To me that is disturbing. And I have to say it *****s me off!
I wouldn't care if they were German, Asian, or whatever Learn English.
Oh but Wait people in Germany do learn English as a second language in Germany.......So when they go into another country they can talk to someone in a mutual language. WOW ! imagine that concept!
Yep!! What disturbs me so are the ones who tell us in this country how it is our fault because most in the country are monolingual and yet, it happens to be monolingual and uneducated people coming illegally to this country and then even flat our refusing to speak our language.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Prophet you make a valid point. The far left loves to cry that bilingual is a good thing, even to the point of slandering the average american. The next breath they support the illegals right not to have to learn the language of our nation.
I have reported illegals. I felt no shame as it was my duty as a good citizen just as it would be my duty for reporting any other crime against my nation or fellow citizens.
I have also reported contractors that I knew hired illegals. Let them spend their profits on lawyers.
For those who would compare illegal immigrants to a common speeder, or a jaywalker.. First examine the impacts.
a man speeding 10 mph over is breaking the law. But who is harmed? A man speeding 50 mph over is dangerous and should be reported.
Illegals cost our country billions a year. The excuse they only do jobs legals wont is a blatent falsehood invented by the proillegal movement to minimalize what their people are doing to us.
Like saying the rapist isnt a bad guy he just didnt understand that she really really meant no.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Quote:
Well i have stayed in upscale hotels (4 seasons, Marriott Desert Ridge) and have asked employees in the halls (yes usually someone in housekeeping) a question and get speak no English response).
To me that is disturbing. And I have to say it *****s me off!
I wouldn't care if they were German, Asian, or whatever Learn English.
Oh but Wait people in Germany do learn English as a second language in Germany.......So when they go into another country they can talk to someone in a mutual language. WOW ! imagine that concept!
I actually agree with your position.

Many of the affluent in Mexico speak English fluently. Some of the presidents of that republic are graduates of US universities, and speak English better than many Americans.

I think English should be taught as a foreign language over there, with enough emphasis on it to enable most graduates of secondary school to have a basic conversation in English.

Last edited by danielpalos; 10-07-2007 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-07-2007, 10:25 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times
Quote:
Yes Illegals are taking away jobs with decent salaries... Because they keep the wages low.
Yes 10.00 an hour is a good wage especially for a young person.
Speeding does not even compare to illegals taking from us in this country.
Yes it is Clinton's fault he extended in 1997 twice and in 2000 illegal amnesty.
So why the hell wouldn't they continue to come here! Hoping for repeats.
I think this is more of a problem, for us in the US, because of a lack of emphasis on infrastructure development. We are currently wasting billions on a useless war on drugs, when we could be adding more jobs to the economy by upgrading infrastructure.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,133,484 times
Oh I love the list of jobs we won't do. We have built our own homes, doing every job there was. We have always done our own landscaping and I usually hire firemen that moonlight when we do need one. Americans will fill in the void. There is a huge problem with discrimination against seniors and many of them on fixed income would rush to do the laundry, cook, clean, babysit, etc. I have more faith in my countrymen than a lot of naysayers.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:57 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,378,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB62 View Post
I Work My Butt Off For $7.50 An Hr. I Work In A Nursing Home..and I Have Done Some Pretty Crappy Job's..
Yeah, I just don't get why people who work in nursing homes aren't paid better. Maybe you need a union?

Meanwhile, where I live people with some means (both parents working) are hiring illegal alien cleaning women and paying them $20/hr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or