U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2007, 01:16 PM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,795 posts, read 3,099,406 times
Reputation: 479

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB62 View Post
I Work My Butt Off For $7.50 An Hr. I Work In A Nursing Home..and I Have Done Some Pretty Crappy Job's..
How much would you make if you became an LVN or Registered Nurse, or Nurse Practitioner? If you are already in the field, you probably have an inside track to better paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2007, 01:30 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Several years ago, at a large dairying operation in the San Joaquin Valley, an employee entered a confined space--the interior of a huge manure-holding tank- attempting to unclog the outlet valve. He was overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes, collapsed, and drowned in 8" of liquid manure on the floor of the tank. His partner, attempting to pull him out, collapsed and died on top of him. Both men were illegal aliens.

This was a job "Americans won't do". Americans would have insisted on ventilating the tank prior to entry; a continuously-operating gas detector during entry; the use of self-contained breathing apparatus; and safety harnesses equipped with a life-line for emergency evacuation.

With Americans presenting such a "troublesome" attitude toward their work, it's easy to see the appeal of hiring the illegals. They're expendable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Several years ago, at a large dairying operation in the San Joaquin Valley, an employee entered a confined space--the interior of a huge manure-holding tank- attempting to unclog the outlet valve. He was overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes, collapsed, and drowned in 8" of liquid manure on the floor of the tank. His partner, attempting to pull him out, collapsed and died on top of him. Both men were illegal aliens.

This was a job "Americans won't do". Americans would have insisted on ventilating the tank prior to entry; a continuously-operating gas detector during entry; the use of self-contained breathing apparatus; and safety harnesses equipped with a life-line for emergency evacuation.

With Americans presenting such a "troublesome" attitude toward their work, it's easy to see the appeal of hiring the illegals. They're expendable.
All the more reason to severely punish Americans who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 4,158,994 times
Reputation: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
All the more reason to severely punish Americans who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.
I must re-emphasize "SEVERLY PUNISH" A human life is a human life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,371 posts, read 33,772,788 times
Reputation: 8976
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Several years ago, at a large dairying operation in the San Joaquin Valley, an employee entered a confined space--the interior of a huge manure-holding tank- attempting to unclog the outlet valve. He was overcome by hydrogen sulfide fumes, collapsed, and drowned in 8" of liquid manure on the floor of the tank. His partner, attempting to pull him out, collapsed and died on top of him. Both men were illegal aliens.

This was a job "Americans won't do". Americans would have insisted on ventilating the tank prior to entry; a continuously-operating gas detector during entry; the use of self-contained breathing apparatus; and safety harnesses equipped with a life-line for emergency evacuation.

With Americans presenting such a "troublesome" attitude toward their work, it's easy to see the appeal of hiring the illegals. They're expendable.
It happened a few weeks ago to a couple of Amish Dairy Farmers in Tenn. and accident is an accident and has no bearing on the fact that anyone was legal or illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
It happened a few weeks ago to a couple of Amish Dairy Farmers in Tenn. and accident is an accident and has no bearing on the fact that anyone was legal or illegal.
Difference:

Old Order Amish tend to not use modern conveniences admittedly (at their peril)-------but, the illegals were likely coerced upon threat of deportation to go unprotected into that manure tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 03:31 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
It happened a few weeks ago to a couple of Amish Dairy Farmers in Tenn. and accident is an accident and has no bearing on the fact that anyone was legal or illegal.
Not trying to "speak ill of the dead", but if they entered a confined space without taking proper precautions, then it really wasn't an accident, in the absolute sense of the word---it was a foolish gamble. Perhaps they felt they had no choice---but there are very few accidents that aren't preventable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM
 
17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Reputation: 8519
The problem is that we HAVE a visa system to attract workers for jobs that Americans TRULY won't do. You have to advertise the job, etc., and then make the case that Americans aren't available for the job.

Employers, however, know that they can advertise a job for a ridiculous wage (how many "high tech" jobs now go to "foreigners" while so many Americans are priced out of the market?) and then say, "Oh look! No American workers can be found!"


ANY "job Americans won't do" can be filled in this way... if our EXISTING LAWS are merely enforced...to ensure that the jobs being filled truly ARE jobs "Americans won't do!"

My father worked residential home construction for $8/hr. back in 1989 here in South Florida. Today, Guatemalans and assorted indigenous Central Americans typically make up construction crews, and wages are about the same as they were back then. Which came first? Low wages forcing out legal immigrant and American workers... or illegal immigrants coming in and keeping wages depressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

My father worked residential home construction for $8/hr. back in 1989 here in South Florida. Today, Guatemalans and assorted indigenous Central Americans typically make up construction crews, and wages are about the same as they were back then. Which came first? Low wages forcing out legal immigrant and American workers... or illegal immigrants coming in and keeping wages depressed?
Aside from unskilled labor; $8 an hour even back in 1989 was also low------so, those kinds of wages today for the same type of work is mind boggling IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2007, 04:35 PM
 
17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Reputation: 8519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Aside from unskilled labor; $8 an hour even back in 1989 was also low------so, those kinds of wages today for the same type of work is mind boggling IMHO.

Well, you have to consider the place as well. This was back when you could buy 3 bedroom homes in the area for $50k. Today those same homes are $200k+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top