U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Difference:

Old Order Amish tend to not use modern conveniences admittedly (at their peril)-------but, the illegals were likely coerced upon threat of deportation to go unprotected into that manure tank.
This kind of accident is not unheard of and infact happens too often. At paper mill last year the same accident happened. Rules were not followed inspite of training and 2 fatalities occured. The truth is people will take risks inspite of the danger. I doubt any coersion was done, the men in question simply took a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,995,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Democrats were only in control for 4 more years and uhhh who was in office from 1969-1977?

As I stated before this is not a one party fault situation, this is the whole damn system and all those from the President to Congress (which consisted of Dems and Rep).
Perhaps you have not heard of the Immigration act of 1965??? It basically repealed the Immigration act of 1924 which set strict quotas on immigration. In 1924 Republicans controlled congress: Senate 53 Rep, 42 Dem, House of Representatives: 225 Rep, 207 Dem

Fast foward to 1965. Democrats controlled congress: Senate 68 Dem, 32 Rep, House of Representatives, 295 Dem, 140 Rep.

Any questions or comments?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:48 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Perhaps you have not heard of the Immigration act of 1965??? It basically repealed the Immigration act of 1924 which set strict quotas on immigration. In 1924 Republicans controlled congress: Senate 53 Rep, 42 Dem, House of Representatives: 225 Rep, 207 Dem

Fast foward to 1965. Democrats controlled congress: Senate 68 Dem, 32 Rep, House of Representatives, 295 Dem, 140 Rep.

Any questions or comments?
Yes!

Somewhere during the Great Depression the Democrats and Republicans apparently switched roles in American life.

The former was the party of the rich and powerful and the latter represented the 'working man'.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,842 times
That is an accurate list of jobs that legal americans have had stolen from them by illegals willing to work for lowball wages. Not hard to do if you dont have to pay taxes, if 10 of you live in a 1 bedroom apartment, dont have to pay for any insurances.
List of jobs illegals wont do:
1. Apply for immigration legally
2. Apply for a legal social security card
3. Use their real name
4. Obey immigration laws
5. Hold themselves accountable when they are caught
6. Tell their children the truth of why they are being deported
7. Try to affect change in their native country
This list is growing also, Oh wait there isnt enough money in it for them...

----well, lets see. Oh Yeah! I am an immigrant, but I did #1 in your list! I applied for legalization! guess what? It cost me $15,000, and 3 years to get a response. Imagine paying that with $10 an hour, the American goverment sure makes it easy for us to be legal, huh?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:39 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimmigrant View Post
the American goverment sure makes it easy for us to be legal, huh?
Does the American government owe you or anyone else immigration on the cheap?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,884 times
I think they could make work visas cheap, and reduce public and private sector costs; and, perhaps ameliorate the effects of frictional unemployment for US labor market participants.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM

14,206 posts, read 7,406,947 times
Quote:
----well, lets see. Oh Yeah! I am an immigrant, but I did #1 in your list! I applied for legalization! guess what? It cost me $15,000, and 3 years to get a response. Imagine paying that with $10 an hour, the American goverment sure makes it easy for us to be legal, huh?
Was it worth it??

Old 10-07-2007, 08:34 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
That is an accurate ----well, lets see. Oh Yeah! I am an immigrant, but I did #1 in your list! I applied for legalization! guess what? It cost me $15,000, and 3 years to get a response. Imagine paying that with $10 an hour, the American goverment sure makes it easy for us to be legal, huh?
I'd like to be a brain surgeon, and I could, if I were willing to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars and years of my life to attaining that goal. But I don't have the time or the money or the intellect to qualify. Because of this, the status, income, and privileges of a brain surgeon are beyond my reach, and as a result, my whole family is forced to do with less. Boy, they sure don't make it easy !..........

Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,914 times
Quote:
After 3 years what was the response?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:55 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
That is an accurate list of jobs that legal americans have had stolen from them by illegals willing to work for lowball wages. Not hard to do if you dont have to pay taxes, if 10 of you live in a 1 bedroom apartment, dont have to pay for any insurances.
List of jobs illegals wont do:
1. Apply for immigration legally
2. Apply for a legal social security card
3. Use their real name
4. Obey immigration laws
5. Hold themselves accountable when they are caught
6. Tell their children the truth of why they are being deported
7. Try to affect change in their native country
This list is growing also, Oh wait there isnt enough money in it for them...

Cost my wife $1,500 dollars in 2005 and we waited 5 months.
As for ease of entry? Too bad too sad you nor anyone else was ever promised the easy fast track into the country. If you are an honest man then I say welcome and I hope your hardships are long behind you. I have no quarrel with legal immigrants. My issue is with those whose first statement upon entering the country I fought for and love is skrew you and your laws. Those illegals must always watch their backs if I meet them. Not long afterwards someone will come to check their status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or