U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 PM

32,022 posts, read 14,777,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm all for deporting illegals. What I won't do is get angry at them for breaking the law. Trust me, if I have no way to make my life better except to break an immigration law, then that law is getting broken and fast. I NEVER blame a man for doing what he can to improve his lot in life. Blaming the illegals is a lame cop-out. They won't come here if there's no job on the other end waiting for them.

This thing has to be killed from the neck up, and that means cracking down so hard on corporations that get caught hiring illegals that it'll scare other companies sh*tless. That probably means boarding up the doors and sending the employers to jail.

No one wants to do that apparently, and so until they do, its a farce. Hiring more border patrol and deporting a bunch of illegals is nothing but a dog and pony show.

Wake me up when this country is serious about illegal immigration. Until then...Zzzzzzzzzzzz!
Why shouldn't we be angry with them for breaking the law? Should we not be angry at American lawbreakers also? By them breaking our immigration laws they are having a negative impact on our own citizens. No one has the right to break laws to improve their lot in life at the expense of others.

Both the illegal immigrants and the employers are equally guilty. Why wouldn't they be? Don't illegal immigrants know they have no lawful right to be here or to take a job here? I don't know a single anti-illegal person that doesn't want the employers caught and punished as well. Boarding up their doors and sending them to jail is an excellent idea. The only ones not serious about illegal immigration are the greedy employers who hire them, their ethnocentric supporters and our politicians pandering for votes. The rest of America does care and is serious about illegal immigration.

By the way, it isn't only jobs that draws them here. Birthright citizenship and the ensuing welfare benefits they will receive thru them is another big magnet. Free education and healthcare is another magnet. Unless we remove all the magnets and our government takes border security more seriously the problem will never end. It is the easy way out instead of staying and fixing their own countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM

14,532 posts, read 7,195,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No problem, we all overlook info.

I don't believe for one minute locals were not interested. In fact, according to the article, many applied, but were denied jobs because they failed to pass the background check. I find that laughable. How on earth could the locals not pass, yet illegal aliens could.
I was thinking about this thread yesterday as I work for a company here in GA and we have properties that need employees and we pay very good wages for GA for small town folks, which is where the properties are located, pay is $15 for maintenance workers per hour and $35K per year for property managers, and we had a very difficult time finding people who could pass our background check, which includes a drug screen, because of.....meth

I thought of this and figured that the legal immigrants and Puerto Ricans probably are not on drugs, that is how they can get these jobs. We had to look outside of the area to hire people for my company only one person - a housekeeper, who was actually a legal immigrant, was hired from the local area for this property due to us testing nearly 40 applicants and all of them having drugs in their system.

We really need to focus on this problem more here in the south. I don't think that denying me and other nasal allergy sufferers decongestants on store shelves is doing enough. These checks cost money and I know my company wasn't willing to spend money endlessly trying to find someone in the local area who could pass a simple drug and background test.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,385,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I was thinking about this thread yesterday as I work for a company here in GA and we have properties that need employees and we pay very good wages for GA for small town folks, which is where the properties are located, pay is $15 for maintenance workers per hour and $35K per year for property managers, and we had a very difficult time finding people who could pass our background check, which includes a drug screen, because of.....meth

I thought of this and figured that the legal immigrants and Puerto Ricans probably are not on drugs, that is how they can get these jobs. We had to look outside of the area to hire people for my company only one person - a housekeeper, who was actually a legal immigrant, was hired from the local area for this property due to us testing nearly 40 applicants and all of them having drugs in their system.

We really need to focus on this problem more here in the south. I don't think that denying me and other nasal allergy sufferers decongestants on store shelves is doing enough. These checks cost money and I know my company wasn't willing to spend money endlessly trying to find someone in the local area who could pass a simple drug and background test.
Ain't just where you are. Meth is bad news here in Arizona tho people are "ratting out" meth labs all over because we're tired of it.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,284,071 times
Quote:

The article says most were not interested or didn't qualify at the start of the article. Yet the company used money to train the imported individuals, but couldn't use it to train locals. They later say that legal immigrants had to be used because they are cheaper.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,861,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
And rational, otherwise I am wholly in support of what you have eloquently stated...
You wholly support this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter
I'm sorry, but I'm all for deporting illegals.
I could have missed it, but to my knowledge, this is the first time you have ever mentioned supporting deportation; and, certainly not for the so-called otherwise law-abiding. As Oldglory asked, what do you consider a "rational" approach to solving our illegal immigration problem?

Thus far, I have only seen you support legalization and a path to citizenship. Been there, done that.

Amnesty for 3 million mushroomed into 12-20+ million additional illegal aliens. Actually, we have so many illegals, no one can even offer a plausible guesstimate. They just pluck numbers from the sky to see what will stick. I hate to even imagine the number of illegals we would receive in response to another amnesty. So, if that's your "rational" solution, it has already been proven to be far from rational. In fact, it would be absolute insanity.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Wow! I had no idea meth was such a huge problem in the southern states. But, surely everyone isn't on meth. I think they revealed the primary reason for rejecting locals, which is, refugees are cheaper. Also, someone posted on a thread that he applied for a job just to see what would happen. According to him, he was never contacted. He didn't even receive an email acknowledging receipt of his application. Employers of illegals lack integrity. So, I just don't trust them.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
The article says most were not interested or didn't qualify at the start of the article. Yet the company used money to train the imported individuals, but couldn't use it to train locals. They later say that legal immigrants had to be used because they are cheaper.
Interesting, isn't it? If the people they hired were so qualified, why did they require training? And, as you said, if they could spend money to train the new hires, why could they not also train the unqualified locals? Perhaps the "qualifications" they wanted had nothing to do with skills.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 AM

32,022 posts, read 14,777,184 times
Quote:
Wow! I had no idea meth was such a huge problem in the southern states. But, surely everyone isn't on meth. I think they revealed the primary reason for rejecting locals, which is, refugees are cheaper. Also, someone posted on a thread that he applied for a job just to see what would happen. According to him, he was never contacted. He didn't even receive an email acknowledging receipt of his application. Employers of illegals lack integrity. So, I just don't trust them.
I don't trust them either. I think it is all phoney baloney that they can't find local workers that are qualified or that they can train or that aren't on drugs. Again it is all about the cheaper labor. However, I would rather they hire refugees and those that are here legally than illegal immigrants.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't trust them either. I think it is all phoney baloney that they can't find local workers that are qualified or that they can train or that aren't on drugs. Again it is all about the cheaper labor. However, I would rather they hire refugees and those that are here legally than illegal immigrants.
I totally agree. Also, after the first time I saw the video I posted on this thread, I stopped believing a word those corrupt employers say.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 PM

47,315 posts, read 24,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why shouldn't we be angry with them for breaking the law? Should we not be angry at American lawbreakers also? By them breaking our immigration laws they are having a negative impact on our own citizens. No one has the right to break laws to improve their lot in life at the expense of others.

Both the illegal immigrants and the employers are equally guilty. Why wouldn't they be? Don't illegal immigrants know they have no lawful right to be here or to take a job here? I don't know a single anti-illegal person that doesn't want the employers caught and punished as well. Boarding up their doors and sending them to jail is an excellent idea. The only ones not serious about illegal immigration are the greedy employers who hire them, their ethnocentric supporters and our politicians pandering for votes. The rest of America does care and is serious about illegal immigration.

By the way, it isn't only jobs that draws them here. Birthright citizenship and the ensuing welfare benefits they will receive thru them is another big magnet. Free education and healthcare is another magnet. Unless we remove all the magnets and our government takes border security more seriously the problem will never end. It is the easy way out instead of staying and fixing their own countries.
Your ancestors didn't stay and fix their own country, and so it's pretty darn unreasonable to expect others to do what your own ancestors didn't do.

Again, i will not get angry at people for doing what they have to do to make their own lives better. If i wasn't left with a choice, i'd break the law too. That's human, and i tend to have empathy for people that want to do better for themselves. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't deport them if we catch them.
Quote:
You wholly support this?

I could have missed it, but to my knowledge, this is the first time you have ever mentioned supporting deportation; and, certainly not for the so-called otherwise law-abiding. As Oldglory asked, what do you consider a "rational" approach to solving our illegal immigration problem?

Thus far, I have only seen you support legalization and a path to citizenship. Been there, done that.

Amnesty for 3 million mushroomed into 12-20+ million additional illegal aliens. Actually, we have so many illegals, no one can even offer a plausible guesstimate. They just pluck numbers from the sky to see what will stick. I hate to even imagine the number of illegals we would receive in response to another amnesty. So, if that's your "rational" solution, it has already been proven to be far from rational. In fact, it would be absolute insanity.
I believe in Amnesty, the Dream Act, or any other reasonable path to citizenship here for law abiding illegals that have a job.

But in the meanwhile, the law is to catch and deport illegals, and that's what we should be doing.

If that's not clear enough to you, too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration