U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM

33,275 posts, read 15,119,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Your ancestors didn't stay and fix their own country, and so it's pretty darn unreasonable to expect others to do what your own ancestors didn't do.

Again, i will not get angry at people for doing what they have to do to make their own lives better. If i wasn't left with a choice, i'd break the law too. That's human, and i tend to have empathy for people that want to do better for themselves. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't deport them if we catch them.

I believe in Amnesty, the Dream Act, or any other reasonable path to citizenship here for law abiding illegals that have a job.

But in the meanwhile, the law is to catch and deport illegals, and that's what we should be doing.

If that's not clear enough to you, too bad.
I am not responsible for what my ancestors chose to do nor am I defending their actions. See how that works? But FYI, they came here under what immigration laws were established at the time and they came here legally. See the difference?

You wouldn't get angry at an American thief either for breaking the law to improve his lot in life even though it had a negative impact on other Americans? It is not "human" to break laws per se. We all have consciences remember? Where is the empathy for Americans who have had their jobs stolen and their taxes raised to subsidize the needs of illegal immigrants, the added crime, crowded schools and ER's?

None of them are law abiding. The DACA recipient's parents broke our immigration laws. They and their parents are most likely working with fake or stolen ID's. Amnesty for those who are holding American jobs that they aren't entitled to and that Americans need? I certainly don't agree with that. Why should we reward them with an amnesty or our precious citizenship? What did they do to earn that? We need those jobs that they have taken.

Obama has decided not to catch and deport illegal immigrants unless they are felons so we are screwed there also.

Last edited by Oldglory; 10-04-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,955,127 times
Quote:
I believe in Amnesty, the Dream Act, or any other reasonable path to citizenship here for law abiding illegals that have a job.

But in the meanwhile, the law is to catch and deport illegals, and that's what we should be doing.

Perhaps if you took that chip off your shoulder, you would realize I was replying to IBM, who, to my knowledge, has NEVER mentioned supporting deportation. I quoted the first few words from your post #38, because he said he "wholly supports" your comments in that particular post. My question "You wholly support this?" followed by your quote, was intended for him. I was NOT addressing you.

But, at least now I know where you stand on this issue. We should ignore the fact that illegals are here in violation of our laws, and even legalize the so-called "law-abiding" (a glaring oxymoron). How on earth can employed illegal aliens be law-abiding when they can only be employed through theft, fraud, and/or working off the books? Or, do you not consider stealing identities, using fraudulent documents, and tax evasion unlawful behavior?

On the other hand, if ICE happens to catch them, they should be deported. But, while the mythical law-abiding should be absolved of their crimes, their employers should be punished. I guess you don't realize if illegals are legalized, their corrupt employers will also get a free pass. Yep, that makes perfect sense, and is certain to prevent future illegal immigration.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,515,369 times
Quote:
Your ancestors didn't stay and fix their own country, and so it's pretty darn unreasonable to expect others to do what your own ancestors didn't do.

Again, i will not get angry at people for doing what they have to do to make their own lives better. If i wasn't left with a choice, i'd break the law too. That's human, and i tend to have empathy for people that want to do better for themselves. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't deport them if we catch them.

Uh; there's NO such thing as a "law abiding illegal alien". They're breaking the law by JUST being in the US. Sheesh!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM

14,670 posts, read 7,324,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
The article says most were not interested or didn't qualify at the start of the article. Yet the company used money to train the imported individuals, but couldn't use it to train locals. They later say that legal immigrants had to be used because they are cheaper.
I know what the article said, I read it. Didn't qualify could mean that they are drug users. When we deny an applicant based on a positive drug screen, we will state that they are not qualified for the job as a qualification for any job at my company is that you are not a drug user.

I also don't see how you would think that the legal immigrants would be cheaper labor. They are getting paid $11 an hour, that is good money in that part of AL. I know people here in Atlanta making $9 an hour who would LOVE to get an $11 an hour job.

I do feel the company could be biased against the locals due to so many of them quitting quickly after being hired, as Americans in general don't seem to like doing jobs that are "beneath them" and from my understanding, chicken processing is a pretty disgusting, dirty, nasty job. The company might feel the immigrants and Puerto Ricans will be able to endure the job environment better than the locals in the area, which is a bias and if they were smart, they'd sue the company, especially those who applied and were not hired and if they called and asked why, told they didn't qualify if they passed all the background checks and drug screens. They could have a case for discrimination.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM

47,726 posts, read 25,187,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I am not responsible for what my ancestors chose to do nor am I defending their actions. See how that works? But FYI, they came here under what immigration laws were established at the time and they came here legally. See the difference?

You wouldn't get angry at an American thief either for breaking the law to improve his lot in life even though it had a negative impact on other Americans? It is not "human" to break laws per se. We all have consciences remember? Where is the empathy for Americans who have had their jobs stolen and their taxes raised to subsidize the needs of illegal immigrants, the added crime, crowded schools and ER's?

None of them are law abiding. The DACA recipient's parents broke our immigration laws. They and their parents are most likely working with fake or stolen ID's. Amnesty for those who are holding American jobs that they aren't entitled to and that Americans need? I certainly don't agree with that. Why should we reward them with an amnesty or our precious citizenship? What did they do to earn that? We need those jobs that they have taken.

Obama has decided not to catch and deport illegal immigrants unless they are felons so we are screwed there also.
This president has deported more illegals than any other president in recent memory, so that's a bald face lie.

And to your first point, I don't know if your ancestors came here legally or not. Hell, you might not even know. I'll put it at 50/50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps if you took that chip off your shoulder, you would realize I was replying to IBM, who, to my knowledge, has NEVER mentioned supporting deportation. I quoted the first few words from your post #38, because he said he "wholly supports" your comments in that particular post. My question "You wholly support this?" followed by your quote, was intended for him. I was NOT addressing you.

But, at least now I know where you stand on this issue. We should ignore the fact that illegals are here in violation of our laws, and even legalize the so-called "law-abiding" (a glaring oxymoron). How on earth can employed illegal aliens be law-abiding when they can only be employed through theft, fraud, and/or working off the books? Or, do you not consider stealing identities, using fraudulent documents, and tax evasion unlawful behavior?

On the other hand, if ICE happens to catch them, they should be deported. But, while the mythical law-abiding should be absolved of their crimes, their employers should be punished. I guess you don't realize if illegals are legalized, their corrupt employers will also get a free pass. Yep, that makes perfect sense, and is certain to prevent future illegal immigration.
Whatever. Keep getting angry at people that are powerless and continue to ignore the powerful. That's the typical American mentality....scapegoat the guy on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; there's NO such thing as a "law abiding illegal alien". They're breaking the law by JUST being in the US. Sheesh!
If you can't make a distinction between the illegal alien that has simply broken an immigration law and the illegal immigrant that is committing malicious violent crime, then i can't help ya.

And there it is.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
This president has deported more illegals than any other president in recent memory, so that's a bald face lie.
Those "record numbers" have already been debunked. By Obama's own admission, the numbers are skewed because they include those apprehended at the border. They never had a chance to live here. So, their "deportation" does not reduce the number of illegal aliens currently in this country by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, Congress is now investigating the "cooked books" that produced those reports. Furthermore, nothing is accomplished by deporting illegals who only return in a few days. As long as our borders remain porous, deportation will remain a joke.

Quote:
Whatever. Keep getting angry at people that are powerless and continue to ignore the powerful. That's the typical American mentality....scapegoat the guy on the bottom.
Ignore the powerful? Don't make me laugh. The only ones ignoring these crooks are Obama, Holder, and other government officials. I damn sure don't ignore them, but I do not have the authority to arrest and prosecute employers for violating our laws. I asked before, and I'll ask again, what do YOU suggest we should do? Thus far, all you have done is criticize others.

As for illegals being powerless, they obviously have enough "power" for the government to continue pandering to them; refusing to enforce our laws; demonizing all who oppose their illegal presence; providing them with a tax-funded public school education, including ESL class, and "free" breakfast/lunch programs; tax-funded organ transplants, kidney dialysis, ER visits, WIC, welfare, subsidized housing, attorneys, interpreters, the list goes on. They are far from powerless. In fact, they have countless well-funded advocacy groups pulling Obama's strings. That's the ONLY reason he issued a directive for DACA.

You obviously don't realize illegal aliens are not "on the bottom." No, that would be low-skilled black workers whose unemployment rate far exceeds all other groups, including illegals. But, keep burying your head in the sand. IF you finally pull it out, you will see who is actually being marginalized.

Quote:
If you can't make a distinction between the illegal alien that has simply broken an immigration law and the illegal immigrant that is committing malicious violent crime, then i can't help ya.

And there it is.
Clearly, it is YOU who can't make the distinction. You refuse to accept the fact that illegal aliens have broken more than our immigration laws. Again, it is impossible for them to live in this country without committing other crimes.

Millions of citizens have had their identities stolen and credit ruined by illegal aliens, which takes years to resolve, if ever.

Citizens have been denied unemployment benefits, because records indicate they are working. It is not uncommon for over 100 illegals to use the same SSN. Try explaining to the IRS those thousands of dollars in "unreported" wages aren't yours.

Some have been denied health benefits because an illegal has used their ID to receive expensive medical treatment.

There have been incidents of people being arrested because an illegal stole their identity and has an outstanding warrant for criminal activity.

Families have been denied death benefits. After all, you can't receive death benefits for a person, who according to SSA, is alive and working, can you?

But, I suppose those victimized by "law-abiding" illegal alien ID thieves don't matter. After all, illegals only steal identities to work and support their families. It's not their fault others are harmed in the process.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:28 PM

9,084 posts, read 15,603,312 times
I foresee an event like this occurring soon in Alabama:

Maine mayor: Somalis should leave culture at door - Yahoo! News

Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

You may be right. After all, most are African. But, they would not dare tell Hispanic refugees to leave their culture at home. No, that would be considered racism, xenophobia, nativism, Nazism; and the mayor would be run out of town. Funny, but not one "immigrant" advocacy group is protesting this. Also, I haven't heard a peep from the ACLU, SPLC, NAACP, or any other "civil rights" organization. I wonder why.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:05 PM

33,275 posts, read 15,119,442 times
Quote:

And to your first point, I don't know if your ancestors came here legally or not. Hell, you might not even know. I'll put it at 50/50.

And there it is.
So now I am a liar? Obama is counting those turned away at the border and he is only deporting felons. He admitted himself that those high deportation numbers were scewered. He has ordered Homeland Security not to deport any illegal immigrants that don't have a felony "conviction" on their record. There have been numerous links in this forum provided as proof.

I told you that my ancestors didn't come here illegally and yet you still question me? Anyone who doesn't get angry about lawbreakers but instead calls them "powerless" might want to rethink their statements. Who is ignoring the powerful? Have you not read the numerous posts in here by myself and others that want the employers severely punished and the politicians who are turning a blind eye to all of this voted out of office? So if we are angry when a rape, murder or robbery occurs is that scapegoating? Scapegoating for what? The guy at the bottom? The guy at the bottom whom I guess you mean illegal immigrants is breaking the law and it is negatively impacting our own citizens. Don't you care about that?

No one is saying that all illegal immigrants commit heinous crimes but they have all broken our immigration laws, most are holding jobs that Americans need and are doing so by lying, using fake or stolen ID or committing tax evasion. Guess that is irrelevant?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,515,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Not much wrong with that. Those Somali people should be happy to get to live in the US and be legal. If it means dropping the parts of their culture that don't fit here in the US, too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration