Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Esene Manga, an Eritrean refugee living in Atlanta, hadn’t heard of Albertville, Alabama until a recruiter offered him a job there. Now Manga, 22, earns $10.85 an hour cutting chicken breasts on a poultry-plant night shift, an unexpected beneficiary of a year-old law designed to drive out illegal Hispanic immigrants.

This isn’t what the law’s backers said would happen.
Africans Relocate to Alabama to Fill Jobs After Immigration Law - Bloomberg

Note the spin. Where in the law did it specify "Hispanic" illegal aliens? Rather than focusing on the result of this law, which has effectively reduced illegal immigration, they are whining about African refugees (legal) and Puerto Ricans (citizens) filling these positions, as opposed to local residents. Funny, pro-illegals didn't care about local residents not having these jobs when Hispanic illegal aliens were employed. But now, it's an issue. Such hypocrites. No doubt, La Raza, et al. will protest this. After all, the only people deserving of jobs are Hispanic illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Note the spin. Where in the law did it specify "Hispanic" illegal aliens? Rather than focusing on the result of this law, which has effectively reduced illegal immigration, they are whining about African refugees (legal) and Puerto Ricans (citizens) filling these positions, as opposed to local residents. Funny, pro-illegals didn't care about local residents not having these jobs when Hispanic illegal aliens were employed. But now, it's an issue. Such hypocrites. No doubt, La Raza, et al. will protest this. After all, the only people deserving of jobs are Hispanic illegal aliens.
Mr Manga will do well cause unlike illegal alien "Hispanics", he CAN'T run home if he messes up. So the amnesty people are mad about Puerto Ricans taking jobs earmarked for illegal aliens? Funny cause Ricans are "Hispanic" too. Sheesh!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Personally I don't care where they're from as long as they're legal, but clearly La Raza doesn't care about anyone who isn't Latino.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Personally I don't care where they're from as long as they're legal, but clearly La Raza doesn't care about anyone who isn't Latino.
Same here. Of course, it's glaringly clear the whiners don't want illegal aliens to leave, which is why they oppose this and other laws intended to reduce illegal immigration. They don't even want Puerto Ricans to have jobs, because the only "Hispanics" they care about are Mexican illegal aliens. That's exactly why we have such a huge problem.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Glad to see they are hiring legal immigrants. I also think it is weird that they put "hispanic" in there as that was not written in the law. We have a similar law here in GA and I have heard that poultry plants are also hiring more refugees and legal residents, like Puerto Ricans. It is a good thing to me.

What I found crazy was that they said the "local population" either wasn't interested in the jobs or not "qualified." I don't think people who've never worked in poultry, like the refugees would be all that qualified either, but for local people in small time AL not to be interested in a job that pays $11 an hour, is pretty mind boggling. I bet they could get along pretty good on that amount of money out in rural area, it's not that much but is way better than minimum wage.

I also thought it funny how the article tried to act like the Eritrean living in an apartment with 3 other people was some sort of hardship. He stated he made good money and that in his free time he goes to the library. I bet he is saving a pretty penny with only paying $68 a week in rent, seems like a good deal to me.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Glad to see they are hiring legal immigrants. I also think it is weird that they put "hispanic" in there as that was not written in the law. We have a similar law here in GA and I have heard that poultry plants are also hiring more refugees and legal residents, like Puerto Ricans. It is a good thing to me.

What I found crazy was that they said the "local population" either wasn't interested in the jobs or not "qualified." I don't think people who've never worked in poultry, like the refugees would be all that qualified either, but for local people in small time AL not to be interested in a job that pays $11 an hour, is pretty mind boggling. I bet they could get along pretty good on that amount of money out in rural area, it's not that much but is way better than minimum wage.

I also thought it funny how the article tried to act like the Eritrean living in an apartment with 3 other people was some sort of hardship. He stated he made good money and that in his free time he goes to the library. I bet he is saving a pretty penny with only paying $68 a week in rent, seems like a good deal to me.
As an undergrad, I shared an apartment with 3 other students. We had a large 2-bedroom apartment near campus, and 2 girls shared each bedroom. It was hardly a hardship. In fact we had a ball. They just try to spin it to suit their agenda.

I also found it rather interesting that the locals could not "pass the background check." Please.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
More than likely the majority of the Africans who are legally in the US were granted amnesty based on fear of persecution in their native countries. Haitians also can claim fear of persecution.

Puerto Rico suffers from a serious illegal immigration problem. It seems Alabama has some pretty strong immigration laws in place.

Illegals don't have a problem taking jobs away from people legally in the country or are US citizens, but have a problem when the shoe is on the other foot?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Puerto Ricans are American citizens, so take them out of the equation.

The Eritrean's can claim refugee status, so obviously they're here legally.

What I wanna know is why wasn't this company given a crippling fine for hiring illegal labor and recruiting illegal labor in the first place? Why are they still In business? Folks talk about California, but are these red states any better?

Apparently not. And once everything dies down, they'll be back to hiring illegal labor again.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Yes -- where's the problem?

Refugees need jobs and are here legally. And it's ridiculous that La Raza would object to Puerto Ricans, as they are both hispanic and citizens.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Puerto Ricans are American citizens, so take them out of the equation.

The Eritrean's can claim refugee status, so obviously they're here legally.

What I wanna know is why wasn't this company given a crippling fine for hiring illegal labor and recruiting illegal labor in the first place? Why are they still In business? Folks talk about California, but are these red states any better?

Apparently not. And once everything dies down, they'll be back to hiring illegal labor again.
One of, if not THE major factor for massive illegal immigration is the lack of punitive measures for employing illegal aliens. As long as companies know they can employ illegals and receive nothing but a slap on the wrist, there is no incentive to obey the law. Most illegal employers receive a small fine (if any) which they consider simply another cost of doing business. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually accrue for it. Plus, they won't be charged unless they "knowingly" employ illegals. How many do you think will ever admit to that? And, proving "willful intent" isn't easy, especially given the quality of fake documents illegals buy from professional forgers. That is, if they don't steal a "valid" ID. Consequently, employers are rarely held accountable, unless the government can prove the employer has a history of blatant violations.

Yes, it's as prevalent in red states as in sanctuary states like California, New York, and Illinois. After all, greed and corruption have a stronghold in this country, and both sides of the aisle are equal participants, which is why the status quo prevails. Any attempt to curtail illegal employment, such as proposals for mandatory E-Verify, is fiercely opposed by the well-funded illegal alien peddlers/profiteers . . . SEIU, La Raza, ACLU, LULAC, MALDEF, the list goes on. Even Obama's DACA program excuses illegal employers. The assumption being, their employers didn't know they were illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration