U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 PM

4,268 posts, read 13,727,412 times

Advertisements

So the hot debate of illegal immigration right now in AZ is passing the "show me your papers" law where law enforcement can stop someone to look at their immigration status if there is suspicion. I'm sure somebody on this board probably has more knowledge about it than I do. Feel free to elaborate if you so feel inclined.

The news media portrayed the illegal immigrants as victims. They deserve equal rights and not be subject to discrimination etc. Then recently - in the past couple of days - they portrayed an illegal immigrant who was trying to get on site to his job as a dangerous individual to show that the nuclear power plant in Phoenix has a weak security system. They talked about how he was able to get on sight on more than one occasion and could have been a threat to the nuclear power plant.

It would've been highly unlikely that this guy could've gotten anywhere to do any kind of harm but what annoys me about the media is how they portray illegals as victims one minute and as dangers to society the next to fit whatever story they are airing. Why can't the media just be objective?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,284,184 times
They're a business, so they pitch Drama, aka, whatever sells. Besides, you mean "objective" like this....?

Illegal child molester sues and wins.

I Knew California Was Crazy

Argument: Offering Illegal Immigrants Driver's Licenses is a National Security Threat

Shocking Must-See Video

Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 AM

31,800 posts, read 14,647,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
So the hot debate of illegal immigration right now in AZ is passing the "show me your papers" law where law enforcement can stop someone to look at their immigration status if there is suspicion. I'm sure somebody on this board probably has more knowledge about it than I do. Feel free to elaborate if you so feel inclined.

The news media portrayed the illegal immigrants as victims. They deserve equal rights and not be subject to discrimination etc. Then recently - in the past couple of days - they portrayed an illegal immigrant who was trying to get on site to his job as a dangerous individual to show that the nuclear power plant in Phoenix has a weak security system. They talked about how he was able to get on sight on more than one occasion and could have been a threat to the nuclear power plant.

It would've been highly unlikely that this guy could've gotten anywhere to do any kind of harm but what annoys me about the media is how they portray illegals as victims one minute and as dangers to society the next to fit whatever story they are airing. Why can't the media just be objective?!
I will be glad to elaborate on your "show me your papers" remark. No one is stopped for looking a certain way aka skin color, ethnicity. The most common way people are stopped is while driving and that is because they are speeding, tailight is out or other mechanical infraction, veering back in forth (possible drunk driving), etc.

After being stopped unless they don't have a valid DL no questions about status are brought up. Only if one can't produce one can that question arise. I hope that clears it up for you. This is contrary to the erroneous claims of racial profiling.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:14 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times
Basically, the media's handling of illegal immigration is the same as other topics. Most anchors do not objectively report the news. Rather, they use their platform to support their position on issues, or they follow orders from the top. In any case, biased commentary is the norm, not the exception.

Media sympathetic to illegals portray them as innocent people, here only to feed their starving families and seek a better life. They avoid reporting anything negative. Case in point, the NYT is notorious for their sob stories and pro-illegal slant. The WaPo used to be as pro-illegal as the NYT, but has recently become a bit more objective. This may be in response to the number of people threatening to drop their subscriptions due to their biased reporting. On the other hand, anti-illegal media generally highlight the negative aspects of illegal immigration.

No doubt, some illegal aliens are probably "good guys." But, that doesn't change the fact that they are here in violation of our laws, are bankrupting this country, depressing wages, displacing legal workers, and stealing identities. Many are also "bad guy" rapists, murderers, gangbangers, pedophiles, and other violent criminals. Regardless, none should be here.

Rather than making their lives as easy as possible, the government should do everything in its power to motivate them to leave. I knew a "good guy" who had a lucrative business in the illicit drug trade. He lived in an affluent neighborhood, and was considered a pillar of the community. He was a wonderful son to his mother, a devoted husband, loving father, and generous friend. In fact, he would give you the shirt off his back. But, that still shouldn't absolve him of guilt for his decision to live outside the law. When adults choose to flout the law, they must also accept the consequences.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,284,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I will be glad to elaborate on your "show me your papers" remark. No one is stopped for looking a certain way aka skin color, ethnicity. The most common way people are stopped is while driving and that is because they are speeding, tailight is out or other mechanical infraction, veering back in forth (possible drunk driving), etc.

After being stopped unless they don't have a valid DL no questions about status are brought up. Only if one can't produce one can that question arise. I hope that clears it up for you. This is contrary to the erroneous claims of racial profiling.
Right, just like being stopped for "driving while black" is nuthin' but an urban myth...

Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Right, just like being stopped for "driving while black" is nuthin' but an urban myth...
Are you suggesting we should ignore our immigration laws simply because "some" in law enforcement are guilty of racial profiling? Furthermore, unlike illegal immigration, black is a race. In addition, the law targets illegal aliens, not illegal aliens who appear to be Hispanic. I don't know about other regions of the country, but I encounter very few "brown" Hispanics. In fact, most self-identify as white.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 PM

31,800 posts, read 14,647,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I have often repeated this. Yes, there are some bad cops out there but most are not. Are we to end the enforcement of all of our laws because of that? As the cops are detected that don't follow the letter of the law they should be removed from their duties but ending the enforcement of our laws and in this case the enforcement of our immigration laws is not the answer to a few racial profiling incidents. What does anyone in this country have to fear if they are legally here anyway? They would have a viable ID when stopped.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 PM

92 posts, read 73,936 times
Funny thing is people seem to care more about Arizona's "show me your papers law" the the NYPD's "Stop and Frisk" program. Can you guess which one doesn't require someone to have already been pulled over or to have done something else illegal. As for Arizona's immigration a law of course there's going to be racial profiling because just about every police department in the US or maybe even in the world engages in racial/ethnic profiling. So their is no doubt that that it wont happen now their would have to be some serious reform in Arizona or any other state for racial/ethnic profiling to not happen. But it's certainly better than what the NYPD is doing which is literally is stopping people on the street and demanding their papers for no reason at all. Hopefully Arizona carefully apply's this law only people that have already broken the law are pulled over.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 AM

23,625 posts, read 31,227,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are you suggesting we should ignore our immigration laws simply because "some" in law enforcement are guilty of racial profiling? Furthermore, unlike illegal immigration, black is a race. In addition, the law targets illegal aliens, not illegal aliens who appear to be Hispanic. I don't know about other regions of the country, but I encounter very few "brown" Hispanics. In fact, most self-identify as white.
Around here they are mostly short, brown, and faaaaaaaaaaar from starving.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet~d View Post
Funny thing is people seem to care more about Arizona's "show me your papers law" the the NYPD's "Stop and Frisk" program. Can you guess which one doesn't require someone to have already been pulled over or to have done something else illegal. As for Arizona's immigration a law of course there's going to be racial profiling because just about every police department in the US or maybe even in the world engages in racial/ethnic profiling. So their is no doubt that that it wont happen now their would have to be some serious reform in Arizona or any other state for racial/ethnic profiling to not happen. But it's certainly better than what the NYPD is doing which is literally is stopping people on the street and demanding their papers for no reason at all. Hopefully Arizona carefully apply's this law only people that have already broken the law are pulled over.
We will never eliminate racial profiling. It's a fact of life, and has been for many years. Actually, it is standard procedure for law enforcement. If they're searching for a white male bank robber, they will "profile" white men who fit the physical description of the robber. If a carjacker is a black male teen with dreadlocks, they will likewise "profile" black teens wearing dreadlocks. Of course, that's not the same as harassing black men for driving a luxury car.

It's interesting that racial profiling seems to be an issue only when it relates to Hispanics. In fact, despite numerous "driving while black" incidents, and years of racial unrest in the Jim Crow South, the DOJ never felt that level of blatant discrimination warranted a "special" civil rights unit to address the problems. No, that didn't become a "necessity" until Hispanic illegal aliens were being targeted in Alabama.

As for SB1070, the law explicitly prohibits racial profiling. They are only authorized to ask for ID if they stop someone for a traffic violation, or they are suspected of being the perpetrator of a crime. This is the same procedure applied to citizens. When a citizen is stopped for speeding, the officer will ask to see their license, registration, and proof of insurance. Yet, somehow it is considered "discrimination" when Hispanics are involved. The double standard and coddling of illegals must stop. Hispanics should not be off-limits simply because the majority of illegals are Hispanic. Illegal aliens are already given a pass on SSN ID theft and fraud, while citizens continue to be prosecuted. Should they be exempt from all of our laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or