U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
heck, in many areas they get free bus transportation.

this is all so sad for the beautiful state of california.

i want californians to know that if they choose to leave their broken. badly managed, citizen-hating state that florida will welcome them.
I know that's a fact for Federal Government employees in DC, as well as many employees working for companies in the private sector. They are issued a card that is updated monthly to ride Metro (subway/bus) to commute to and from work.

I am still waiting for someone to explain why illegal aliens can't take public transportation like countless millions of citizens. Have they become so arrogant and entitlement-minded that they believe they should receive preferential treatment? Should we also supply limo service? Heck, before my father retired in his late sixties, he caught the bus and subway each day, despite having cancer. It was just more convenient than sitting in traffic forever. Yet, illegals between the ages of 16-30 somehow can't?

Quote:
SmartBenefits® is a convenient Web-based program that lets employers assign the dollar value of employees' monthly commuting benefit directly to the employees' SmarTrip® cards. This can be done right from your computer using our website.
Metro - Business with Metro - Employer Fare Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now that NY has granted all benefits to the deferred action folks, I wonder if CA isn't far behind in also doing that.
Probably. They seem to take such pride in being the illegal alien capital of the US. I can't imagine they would want to be outdone by New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM
 
92 posts, read 73,813 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I am not sure why people comment on things they know nothing about.

You are not a capitalist I reckon, and apparently have never taken econ 101. Business owners do not set wages, the market or the government sets wages. Now, are you advocating government stepping in and setting wages?

So, let us say, all growers in CA decide they need to raise wages in order to get more workers. They do that, costs go up, no problem, they raise the price of the vegies.

And the vegies from Mexico come in much cheaper, and our growers go belly up.. great idea.

Also, growers do not know who is legal and who is illegal, they all have the same paperwork.


And, contrary to popular opinion, wages in the fields are about the same as for ambulance paramedics, and Federal Wildland fire fighters.
Yeah because the government already does it for every one else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 7,337,232 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet~d View Post
Yeah because the government already does it for every one else.
Really? You believe that? Holy Cow.

Even if you were right. The same problem applies, increase wages reduce competitiveness.

Now, this works in two ways. For many years American ag companies have been opening operations in Mexico

And, Mexican ag companies in Mexico are growing.

If you want to be as dependent on foreign food, as we are on foreign oil, looks like you might get your wish.

In the meantime, a quarter of California's economy is facing collapse. Now, you think the state is in sad shape now, just wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Really? You believe that? Holy Cow.

Even if you were right. The same problem applies, increase wages reduce competitiveness.

Now, this works in two ways. For many years American ag companies have been opening operations in Mexico

And, Mexican ag companies in Mexico are growing.

If you want to be as dependent on foreign food, as we are on foreign oil, looks like you might get your wish.

In the meantime, a quarter of California's economy is facing collapse. Now, you think the state is in sad shape now, just wait.
With so many people with NO jobs and their unemployment gone: I'm quite sure your "quarter" of Cali that's in trouble will be Ok once they come up with the dollars and hire Americans. Just that dirty employers CAN'T jack over Americans cause we WILL fight back. Illegal aliens don't dare because they'd be deported PDQ. Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
An absurd position? What are you talking about? The Deferred Action Policy in NO WAY grants any form of legality to the illegal immigrant, work authorization grants no form of legal status. I have given you the DHS memo about it, the President has even stated it, PRO-illegal groups even state it, yet you say that what I have shown is absurd? Your intellect denies you any form of rationality and shows an inept and inane position from you. If you can't except what is vs what you think then there is no sense in discussing this further, as you will continue to deny what is.

If you believe me to be wrong, how about you citing regulation or law that shows deferred actions and work authorization creates a legal immigrant. Your little Once deferred they become legal to about the same extent as any other alien in the US. is ignorant fallacy at best and you even admit that with your following sentence Any alien can be thrown out at any time the US government decides to do so., they NEVER become legal at any point from deferred action! Only Congress can allow them to become legal in any sort of way by means of creating law for them specifically. They don't even become legal residents as you claim in #47. But they are now legal residents...and therefore should be able to drive.

I know who you are now, in fact you have been banned numerous times in here, do I need to go back and list all your past names?
Hey - Check this out...

***************
A new paper by John Yoo (UC Berkeley School of Law) and Robert J. Delahunty (University of St. Thomas School of Law, Minnesota) raises many questions about President Obama's decision to grant legal status to nearly two million illegal aliens under deferred action and concludes that the president's act "threatens to vest the executive branch with broad domestic policy authority that the Constitution does not grant it." If taken to its logical conclusion, President Obama's lawless action has the power to undermine the entirety of immigration law, while expanding the presidential power in all domestic policy areas.
*******************

Now you will have to take your nonsensical argument to CIS

Law Profs: Obama's Deferred Action Not Supported by Constitution | Center for Immigration Studies

More practically there is an immagration lawyer named Lee who practices heavily among this population who suggests...

"quasi-legal"..

I actually think that is probably the best name for their status I have heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Hey - Check this out...

***************
A new paper by John Yoo (UC Berkeley School of Law) and Robert J. Delahunty (University of St. Thomas School of Law, Minnesota) raises many questions about President Obama's decision to grant legal status to nearly two million illegal aliens under deferred action and concludes that the president's act "threatens to vest the executive branch with broad domestic policy authority that the Constitution does not grant it." If taken to its logical conclusion, President Obama's lawless action has the power to undermine the entirety of immigration law, while expanding the presidential power in all domestic policy areas.
*******************

Now you will have to take your nonsensical argument to CIS

Law Profs: Obama's Deferred Action Not Supported by Constitution | Center for Immigration Studies

More practically there is an immagration lawyer named Lee who practices heavily among this population who suggests...

"quasi-legal"..

I actually think that is probably the best name for their status I have heard.
Now if you read the actual 57 page Paper (The Obama Administration, the Dream Act and the Take Care Clause by John Yoo, Robert Delahunty :: SSRN) issued by the law professors, they do not state what the CIS article claims (President Obama's decision to grant legal status to nearly two million illegal aliens under deferred action), which is, the author Jon Feere's opinion, since he is the one that claims legality in the article. I suggest you attempt a different claim, since the one you have made just blew up on you.

Jon Feere's opinion holds about as much water as a bucket with no bottom.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 10-10-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
212 posts, read 316,998 times
Reputation: 319
I am sick of all the laws that are being put in place to protect ILLEGAL aliens. A big part of the problem is all of the lazy ******* who don't even work that want to save a buck to pay someone else to take care of their children and clean their homes. If you absolutely refuse to raise your own children or clean your own home, pay a little more for a legal citizen. It's not that hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,137,944 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Now if you read the actual 57 page Paper (The Obama Administration, the Dream Act and the Take Care Clause by John Yoo, Robert Delahunty :: SSRN) issued by the law professors, they do not state what the CIS article claims (President Obama's decision to grant legal status to nearly two million illegal aliens under deferred action), which is, the author Jon Feere's opinion, since he is the one that claims legality in the article. I suggest you attempt a different claim, since the one you have made just blew up on you.

Jon Feere's opinion holds about as much water as a bucket with no bottom.
I said you had an argument with CIS. What part of that did you not understand? CIS published it. Take your beef to them. If anyone should understand the subtleties of "legal" it is CIS.

Couple of ABA list discussing this subject...

What power does the Executive Have? The Executive Power. What is the Executive Power? It is the power the Executive has.


The discussion is pointless. Irrespective of the Take Care Clause, the President is free to act or not Act as he sees fit. The primary remedy for his (in)action is the pageant currently scheduled for November 6. U.S. Const. art. I, § I. The only other legal remedy is impeachment. Id. at § 4. Unless Congress is strong enough to act, there is no remedy, and any action by the President is de facto legal.

So basically...if you don't approve...shove it.


Ohh and Yoo no where suggests the status of the Dreamers is less than legal..

Last edited by lvoc; 10-10-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 AM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I said you had an argument with CIS. What part of that did you not understand? CIS published it. Take your beef to them. If anyone should understand the subtleties of "legal" it is CIS.

Couple of ABA list discussing this subject...

What power does the Executive Have? The Executive Power. What is the Executive Power? It is the power the Executive has.


The discussion is pointless. Irrespective of the Take Care Clause, the President is free to act or not Act as he sees fit. The primary remedy for his (in)action is the pageant currently scheduled for November 6. U.S. Const. art. I, § I. The only other legal remedy is impeachment. Id. at § 4. Unless Congress is strong enough to act, there is no remedy, and any action by the President is de facto legal.

So basically...if you don't approve...shove it.


Ohh and Yoo no where suggests the status of the Dreamers is less than legal..
The argument would be against Jon Feere, the author of the blog post on CIS making claims that are fallacy from his blog on CIS. CIS didn't publish anything.

The discussion is between you (they are legal and become legal residents) and I (there is no legality involved at all, they are still illegal immigrants), Olecap; but nice attempt at creating a strawman.

DACA was not done through Executive Power, it was done through DHS policy (this shows you have no clue or understanding of what you discuss).

Shove it? Ignorance won't help you.

Funny, if you read the entirety of the Paper from Yoo, he calls them illegal immigrants through out it. WAFM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top