U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 10:31 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,156,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well; a significant percentage of 'Hispanics' do not read, write or even speak Spanish.

Besides: one unifying feature of any country is the use of a common language (English here in the USA, Spanish in Mexico, etc.)

The few nations that are truly multilingual are; for the most part, showing signs of falling apart------Spain, Belgium, Canada come to mind. The only exception seems to be Switzerland.
What kind of Hispanics are you getting at ArizonaBear? Recent immigrants? 1st Generation Hispanics? 2nd? 3rd? I believe its 1/8 people in the United states is Hispanic, and your saying most Hispanics don't speak English?

As you all know Spanish is the second most widely spoken Language in the United States. As you all know there are massive numbers of Hispanics, a huge audience of Spanish speakers- more so because you live in a Hispanic heavy area. I have yet to see Spanish commercials when I'm not watching Spanish T.V.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,279,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Why not the local news? Are not Hispanics integral parts of many of our communities?

I'm not just pro-Spanish. I'm pro many languages and cultures. Just so you don't get the wrong idea.
Well, if we are going to have tv & forced programming in Spanish, then I want to see it in other languages, too.

I wish things were fair so we could be exposed to 'more languages.' It would help get the USA more into the world arena culturally.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, if we are going to have tv & forced programming in Spanish, then I want to see it in other languages, too.

I wish things were fair so we could be exposed to 'more languages.' It would help get the USA more into the world arena culturally.
LOL @ Forced...

If you lived in an area with lots of different cultures you would be exposed to different languages, in the Bay Area we have many channels in Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Indian dialects. New York City had a channel for about 50 different languages.

I have never seen a Spanish commercial during an English TV program.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:43 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
What kind of Hispanics are you getting at ArizonaBear? Recent immigrants? 1st Generation Hispanics? 2nd? 3rd? I believe its 1/8 people in the United states is Hispanic, and your saying most Hispanics don't speak English?

As you all know Spanish is the second most widely spoken Language in the United States. As you all know there are massive numbers of Hispanics, a huge audience of Spanish speakers- more so because you live in a Hispanic heavy area. I have yet to see Spanish commercials when I'm not watching Spanish T.V.
Where did I say that most US Hispanics did not speak English?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:05 AM

13,755 posts, read 23,213,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post

Go back and read their posting again, I think you "flipped" the point.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
LOL @ Forced...

If you lived in an area with lots of different cultures you would be exposed to different languages, in the Bay Area we have many channels in Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Indian dialects. New York City had a channel for about 50 different languages.

I have never seen a Spanish commercial during an English TV program.
Yes, it's forced. If I call customer service on the telephone, I have to listen to "To hablar in espanol press numero uno,' before I get the English option. If I go to the stores in NY (thankfully this doesn't go on up here) I have to see signs in SPANISH or listen to people on the loud speaker call talk in SPANISH. There is no getting away from how on tv channels like PBS and NickJr there is just a SPANISH agenda.

How about having some kids shows in French or Russian or Chinese for a change? "Fair is fair.'

Yes, seriously there was a Comcast commercial in Spanish during ENGLISH tv.
It featured Shrek and Donkey talking in Spanish.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 AM

348 posts, read 914,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'm sitting here banging my head on my desk. Why does everyone in this forum have to be so pig-headed and stubborn? You get so much TV in English, it's ridiculous. How about a little Spanish for the MILLIONS of native Spanish speakers living here??? (Just so you guys don't have a stroke, let's just think about the "legal" ones.)

Because they have their own channels...why flood ours? Honestly, this is going to cause you to bang your head yet again, but I wish we would do away with ALL the spanish channels, on tv and the radio and the ads...force them to learn English...when in Rome....

Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Because they have their own channels...why flood ours? Honestly, this is going to cause you to bang your head yet again, but I wish we would do away with ALL the spanish channels, on tv and the radio and the ads...force them to learn English...when in Rome....
If you want a multilingual channel, which I personally think is wonderful, then give equal time to Chinese, French, Dutch, Portuguese, German and so on.

I believe we have catered enough to ONE minority/ethnic group. Be fair.

Hey, I know, I am going to go to El Salvador and DEMAND an all English channel. If they don't have it I will tell them it's racist. After all, there are so many English speakers in the world, why shouldn't WE have equal rights?

Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Yes, it's forced. If I call customer service on the telephone, I have to listen to "To hablar in espanol press numero uno,' before I get the English option. If I go to the stores in NY (thankfully this doesn't go on up here) I have to see signs in SPANISH or listen to people on the loud speaker call talk in SPANISH. There is no getting away from how on tv channels like PBS and NickJr there is just a SPANISH agenda.

How about having some kids shows in French or Russian or Chinese for a change? "Fair is fair.'

Yes, seriously there was a Comcast commercial in Spanish during ENGLISH tv.
It featured Shrek and Donkey talking in Spanish.
Is it that hard to NOT press 1 for espanol?

Is it that hard to CHANGE the channel?

If there were a demand for French, Russian or Chinese in your area, they would probably show it. You see America works off of Supply and Demand. It has nothing to do what is fair, it is what makes Comcast $$$.

If there were a Spanish commercial during an English tv show, it was paid for by a customer, it is not Comcast "forcing" it down your throat. If a Spanish Speaking Customer pays them more for that block of time, should Comcast not show it?

America is like the #6 Spanish Speaking country in the world. Even if you take away the illegals, it would leave around 30 Million Spanish Speaking Americans. The demand is there and American businesses are capitalizing off it, you are not being brainwashed.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 AM

969 posts, read 2,459,234 times
Quote:
I live in VT. Why do they have to sneak this Spanish in EVERYWHERE?
Was it in honor of Columbus Day?? - Darn that Queen Isabella!!!

Actually - I agree - a nation of immigrants can only be made cohesive by the unity that common language brings - If I move to France I will expect to learn French - I will not expect the street signs and written driving tests and regular commercials to be in English/American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.