U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,736,615 times
Reputation: 2279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If Romney does not revoke the illegal EO issued by Obama, then he is no better than Obama and condones circumventing Congress. Presidents are not suppose to legislate via EO.
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong, again.
Obama did what was within the laws of illegal immigration.
EO requires no congressional input, it's is an action a president may invoke at anytime.

Executive order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

p.s. romney already said he would leave the EO in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,736,615 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Who is running the country?

The American people or illegals? Seems like we have no representation in Washington. I rather have Romney than Obama. If Obama is re-elected he can do whatever he wants in his last term. We saw what he did with healthcare.
Be careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,213,598 times
Reputation: 9378
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't fool yourself. Two years is a long time and these legal illegals won't just give up their DL and SS and go back home.

We'll have amnesty in the next administration no matter who gets into office.
Congress has said/done nothing about this EO. Americans didn't get all upset. Both Romney and Obama are courting Hispanics.

Congress will end up passing an amnesty in the next 4 years.
I'm curious to know what makes you think that there will be a Social Security number involved in this process? I'm not aware of anything that suggests that the EO will provide an opportunity for an illegal immigrant to obtain a SSN, but I could be wrong. The same could be said about driver's licenses. California paved the way for illegals to get DL's but what about the other 49 states? Please elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,717,139 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If Romney does not revoke the illegal EO issued by Obama, then he is no better than Obama and condones circumventing Congress. Presidents are not suppose to legislate via EO.
There was no EO issued. It was done through policy. There was no circumvention of Congress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong, again.
Obama did what was within the laws of illegal immigration.
EO requires no congressional input, it's is an action a president may invoke at anytime.

Executive order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

p.s. romney already said he would leave the EO in place.
Again, if you people knew what you were talking about you would know that there was no EO, it was done by policy. SMFH

As to what the OP claims, there is no visa to revoke.

Had you actually read the complete article, you would have found out why Romney criticized Obama for circumventing Congress to make the change a few months before the presidential election. Which, in context, means that Obama used the policy to gain the Hispanic vote vs going through Congress and passing a "comprehensive" immigration law.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 10-02-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,736,615 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
There was no EO issued. It was done through policy. There was no circumvention of Congress.

Again, if you people knew what you were talking about you would know that there was no EO, it was done by policy. SMFH

As to what the OP claims, there is no visa to revoke.

Had you actually read the complete article, you would have found out why Romney criticized Obama for circumventing Congress to make the change a few months before the presidential election. Which, in context, means that Obama used the policy to gain the Hispanic vote vs going through Congress and passing a "comprehensive" immigration law.
You are exactly correct! No EO was written pertaning to this subject!
Thank you for the clarifications! My apologies for subscribing to the jibberish!

2012 Executive Orders Signed by Barack Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,213,598 times
Reputation: 9378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
There was no EO issued. It was done through policy. There was no circumvention of Congress.

Again, if you people knew what you were talking about you would know that there was no EO, it was done by policy. SMFH

As to what the OP claims, there is no visa to revoke.

Had you actually read the complete article, you would have found out why Romney criticized Obama for circumventing Congress to make the change a few months before the presidential election. Which, in context, means that Obama used the policy to gain the Hispanic vote vs going through Congress and passing a "comprehensive" immigration law.
Actually, i'm glad you pointed this out. I too thought it was via EO, but clearly it wasn't. The good news is that this makes it EASIER for President Romney to reverse. The President is in charge of the Executive Branch, which means that as Obama leaves office, the next President can right the ship quite easily through a simple policy directive.

Whether through EO, or policy directive, the OP's point still remains. I'm actually glad it wasn't through EO because that's less ammunition that can be used against the incoming President in that it relieves him of the potentially negative press of issuing an EO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 70,127,848 times
Reputation: 27525
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm curious to know what makes you think that there will be a Social Security number involved in this process? I'm not aware of anything that suggests that the EO will provide an opportunity for an illegal immigrant to obtain a SSN, but I could be wrong. The same could be said about driver's licenses. California paved the way for illegals to get DL's but what about the other 49 states? Please elaborate.
States already have temp licenses for foreign drivers. It's vertical instead of horizontal and has an expiration date (same as their work permit). Why CA had to do something special is beyond me.
That's why I didn't mention DLs in my post. There are temp DLs for foreign workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/us...pagewanted=all
The work permit young immigrants can receive with the deferral opens many doors that have been firmly shut. They can obtain valid Social Security numbers and apply for driver’s licenses, professional certificates and financial aid for college.

Deferred Action: New Policy for Unocumented Immigrants
An employment authorization would qualify you for drivers license and social security number. Additionally, an employment authorization could give you a lot more opportunities in the US: opening bank accounts, better job opportunities and even buying your own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,210,401 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't fool yourself. Two years is a long time and these legal illegals won't just give up their DL and SS and go back home.

We'll have amnesty in the next administration no matter who gets into office.
Congress has said/done nothing about this EO. Americans didn't get all upset. Both Romney and Obama are courting Hispanics.

Congress will end up passing an amnesty in the next 4 years.
Which is why it's stupid to get worked up over the issue. The politicians do not care, ergo, the majority of Americans do not care. Politicians only act when confronted through mass protest or being voted out. If neither of the two happen, it's implied consent, meaning most Americans don't think it's a big enough deal for them. It all comes back to we the American people.

There are people that complain about jobs being offshored to China, shipped to Mexico, and given to illegals. Well, guess what guys? Americans offered their approval the moment we wanted to buy stuff without paying the premium Made in USA price tag for it. We only have ourselves to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM
 
31,923 posts, read 14,712,394 times
Reputation: 8515
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which is why it's stupid to get worked up over the issue. The politicians do not care, ergo, the majority of Americans do not care. Politicians only act when confronted through mass protest or being voted out. If neither of the two happen, it's implied consent, meaning most Americans don't think it's a big enough deal for them. It all comes back to we the American people.

There are people that complain about jobs being offshored to China, shipped to Mexico, and given to illegals. Well, guess what guys? Americans offered their approval the moment we wanted to buy stuff without paying the premium Made in USA price tag for it. We only have ourselves to blame.
Why shouldn't we get worked up over the destruction of our country and job opportunities dwindling for Americans in favor of illegal immigrants? Yes, we do care! Just because we aren't marching in the streets does not indicate our consent to this. We need to vote these traitors out of office. Just because we might buy an imported product from time to time does not equate to any blame on our part.

You can throw up your arms in defeat if you want to or roll over and take it if you wish. As for me, I am doing everything within my power to make the necessary changes to take our country back and so are millions of other Americans. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening behind the scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
Reputation: 22174
I may just sit out this election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top