U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
Reputation: 369

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't fool yourself. Two years is a long time and these legal illegals won't just give up their DL and SS and go back home.

We'll have amnesty in the next administration no matter who gets into office.
Congress has said/done nothing about this EO. Americans didn't get all upset. Both Romney and Obama are courting Hispanics.

Congress will end up passing an amnesty in the next 4 years.

I wouldn't count on it. Remember the 'great amnesty' of 2007? The administration and Congress tried to pass an amnesty to pander to 20-30 illegal aliens and their supporters. When the Capitol switchboard got so overloaded from people objecting they had to shut it down, the administration and Congress decided it was more expedient to not alienate a couple of million citizens. People were not only calling Washington, they were calling the offices of their senators, and representatives, in their home districts. Result? No amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
No, no, no, you've got it all wrong, again.
Obama did what was within the laws of illegal immigration.
EO requires no congressional input, it's is an action a president may invoke at anytime.

Executive order - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

p.s. romney already said he would leave the EO in place.

That may be so, but it was never intended to be used to garner votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2012, 02:01 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
Reputation: 369
I don't understand why those who qualify for DACA would be issued a SS number as opposed to an ITTN number like other non-citizen legal workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I don't understand why those who qualify for DACA would be issued a SS number as opposed to an ITTN number like other non-citizen legal workers.
All Legal Permanent Residents are eligible for a Social Security number (an ITIN cannot be issued if there is a possibility of getting a Social Security number). Work-authorized non-immigrants get a Social Security number too. Which non-citizens that are work authorized are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I don't understand why those who qualify for DACA would be issued a SS number as opposed to an ITTN number like other non-citizen legal workers.
An ITIN is for tax filing purposes only. It is a 9 digit number like SS, but coded differently. Yes, some illegals use this number to create a fake SS card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 03:54 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
Reputation: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
All Legal Permanent Residents are eligible for a Social Security number (an ITIN cannot be issued if there is a possibility of getting a Social Security number). Work-authorized non-immigrants get a Social Security number too. Which non-citizens that are work authorized are you referring to?


I'm reffering to those who qualify for DACA. As to their legal status, they aren't citizens, nor are they permanent legal residents. Their deportation is merely deferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,551,884 times
Reputation: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Both parties have embraced amnesty even if they pass no law.
I wouldn't say "embrace", but have "accepted" the fact that amnesty is inevitable. The number of illegals is too out of control to even expect that they could deport even half of them on the basis of being in the country illegally, something that should have been enforced long ago.

Govt didn't learn anything the first time it issued mass amnesty in '86, hopefully govt will learn something from a second mass amnesty - secure the border and all other ports of entry, amend the Constitution (which they did in 1924 with the Indian Citizenship Act) and pass the Birthright Citizenship Act of 2009 (note the year - Obama anyone???), stop granting government benefits, and make it a crime with punishment to be in this country illegally, give severe punishment to employers who hire illegals. Stop making the US a desirable country to enter illegally and make it an undesirable country to enter illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM
 
31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8360
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I wouldn't say "embrace", but have "accepted" the fact that amnesty is inevitable. The number of illegals is too out of control to even expect that they could deport even half of them on the basis of being in the country illegally, something that should have been enforced long ago.

Govt didn't learn anything the first time it issued mass amnesty in '86, hopefully govt will learn something from a second mass amnesty - secure the border and all other ports of entry, amend the Constitution (which they did in 1924 with the Indian Citizenship Act) and pass the Birthright Citizenship Act of 2009 (note the year - Obama anyone???), stop granting government benefits, and make it a crime with punishment to be in this country illegally, give severe punishment to employers who hire illegals. Stop making the US a desirable country to enter illegally and make it an undesirable country to enter illegally.
While I agree it would be hard to round up millions of illegal immigrants and deport them I think most of us in here are for self-deportations. Removing the job, benefit and birthright citizenship magnets would do just that. It would also be a deterrant to come here illegally in the first place so you are right on in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I'm reffering to those who qualify for DACA. As to their legal status, they aren't citizens, nor are they permanent legal residents. Their deportation is merely deferred.
The DACA applicants that qualify for work-authorization will be able to be issued Social Security numbers, the same as all other work-authorized non-citizens. Your original comment seems lost on declaring those non-citizen workers as only being able to get ITINs (the IRS will actually refuse to issue an ITIN if they feel that an applicant qualifies to be issued a Social Security number):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
I don't understand why those who qualify for DACA would be issued a SS number as opposed to an ITTN number like other non-citizen legal workers.
Are you sure you are understanding everything here?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
 
Location: The Brat Stop
8,353 posts, read 5,711,855 times
Reputation: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
That may be so, but it was never intended to be used to garner votes.
How do you know that?
If a president does something like that, legal immigrants would see it as a step toward legislation to ease immigration, and a minority might cast a vote for him.
But with willard stating he wouldn't dismiss Obama's non executive order, it would seem that both are pandering to a certain minority group of people. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top