U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:30 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The DACA applicants that qualify for work-authorization will be able to be issued Social Security numbers, the same as all other work-authorized non-citizens. Your original comment seems lost on declaring those non-citizen workers as only being able to get ITINs (the IRS will actually refuse to issue an ITIN if they feel that an applicant qualifies to be issued a Social Security number):

Are you sure you are understanding everything here?...
But, the DACA applicants, unlike others, won't actually have to qualify. No, they are being processed on the honor system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 PM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
How do you know that?
If a president does something like that, legal immigrants would see it as a step toward legislation to ease immigration, and a minority might cast a vote for him.
But with willard stating he wouldn't dismiss Obama's non executive order, it would seem that both are pandering to a certain minority group of people. No?
I would think that most immigrants that have come here legally would be ticked off that illegal immigrants are going to get a pass for their wrongdoing. The question remains why are any of our politicians pandering to a citizen group who expects them to dishonor our immigration laws for them? Why does any loyal citizen even expect that?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:22 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,710,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I would think that most immigrants that have come here legally would be ticked off that illegal immigrants are going to get a pass for their wrongdoing. The question remains why are any of our politicians pandering to a citizen group who expects them to dishonor our immigration laws for them? Why does any loyal citizen even expect that?
Well, I was out west for awhile, and, met a few mexican-americans, and I can tell you that they're just as angry about illegals coming into the USA as any one could be, they really disliked an illegal who was not bi-lingual, or, an American citizen, if a person didn't speak english, they had no use for that person.

We do, as you say have immigration laws on the books, but it seems only a US Government Agent (CBP or ICE) can enforce the laws. Probably why jan brewer was all for the anti-immigration law passed in her state, which was challenged by the US Gov't..

I'm beginning to think that politicians are looking to latinos for the vote. It's all I can figure, there can't be any other reason. But for willard to come out and say he'll let Obama's non EO stand, one has to wonder where he's coming from too, (why is a big question)

Old 10-07-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Well, I was out west for awhile, and, met a few mexican-americans, and I can tell you that they're just as angry about illegals coming into the USA as any one could be, they really disliked an illegal who was not bi-lingual, or, an American citizen, if a person didn't speak english, they had no use for that person.

We do, as you say have immigration laws on the books, but it seems only a US Government Agent (CBP or ICE) can enforce the laws. Probably why jan brewer was all for the anti-immigration law passed in her state, which was challenged by the US Gov't..

I'm beginning to think that politicians are looking to latinos for the vote. It's all I can figure, there can't be any other reason. But for willard to come out and say he'll let Obama's non EO stand, one has to wonder where he's coming from too, (why is a big question)
There have been statistics posted in here however that the majority of Latino Americans are illegal immigrant sympathizers and supporters. I know there are some who are not.

Jan Brewer never passed any anti-immigration laws just illegal immigration laws.

The question still remains and this will be the third time I have asked/repeated it. Why does a politician have to dishonor our immigration laws in order to gain the bulk of the Latino vote? Why would any citizen group expect that in the first place? Shouldn't we all be united for the rule of law regardess of our ethnic makeup or ethnic ties?

I wish just once that an illegal immigrant sympathizer/supporter in this forum would answer those questions honestly.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Quote:

The question still remains and this will be the third time I have asked/repeated it. Why does a politician have to dishonor our immigration laws in order to gain the bulk of the Latino vote? Why would any citizen group expect that in the first place? Shouldn't we all be united for the rule of law regardess of our ethnic makeup or ethnic ties?

I wish just once that an illegal immigrant sympathizer/supporter in this forum would answer those questions honestly.
You're oversimplifying a far more complex problem and considering the recent issuing of temporary visas to be "dishonoring our immigration laws" is subjective. I personally disagree with that. I think it was the right thing to do for these kids. If elected, Romney won't dare repeal it and he'll extend it when given the chance. Why? Because not doing so would alienate himself from Latino voters, which given the current nature of the voter landscape in this country would be political suicide.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 PM

8,743 posts, read 5,550,867 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that there are many hispanics who are US citizens by virtue of birth to an illegal who can vote. In the past illegal immigrants/amnesty was never a priority with either government or illegals. Obama made it pretty much a number 1 priority in the last 4 years. When Obama was running his first presidential campaign it brought many first time voters of all ages out to vote. He's probably hoping that there will be many first time anchor baby voters.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,710,508 times
Quote:
There have been statistics posted in here however that the majority of Latino Americans are illegal immigrant sympathizers and supporters. I know there are some who are not.

Jan Brewer never passed any anti-immigration laws just illegal immigration laws.

You say illegal immigration, and I say anti-immigration. I'm not a statistics freak, but if I were a betting person, I'd have to say jan brewer gets very few latinos to vote for her.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
You say illegal immigration, and I say anti-immigration. I'm not a statistics freak, but if I were a betting person, I'd have to say jan brewer gets very few latinos to vote for her.
There is a world of difference between being anti-immigration and anti-illegal immigration. So it does make a difference how you word it. Again, why wouldn't Latino citizens vote for Brewer or any other politician who wants our immigration laws enforced?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
You're oversimplifying a far more complex problem and considering the recent issuing of temporary visas to be "dishonoring our immigration laws" is subjective. I personally disagree with that. I think it was the right thing to do for these kids. If elected, Romney won't dare repeal it and he'll extend it when given the chance. Why? Because not doing so would alienate himself from Latino voters, which given the current nature of the voter landscape in this country would be political suicide.
There are no "temporary visas" for DACA. It was a policy interpretation done by DHS, the Pres simply went along with it. Romney will change the policy if elected by placing a new DHS head in place. He will let the work authorization for the few that do get it expire, he will not re-new the policy (DACA) or extend the work authorization. As of now over 100K have applied and only 29 have been deferred; of the 29 deferred we don't know how many have received work authorization.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I don't see this as a complex problem. Enforce our immigration laws, period. The dishonor in our immigration laws is Obama telling Homeland Security not to deport "any" illegal immigrants that don't have a felony record. That is in direct conflict with our immigration laws.

It wasn't the right thing to do for Americans. We have 23 million Americans out of work and Obama is going to give them work permits? How is this good for our citizens?

How is enforcing our immigration laws alienating Hispanic citizens? Aren't we all supposed to care about the rule of law and what is best for our own citizens? Only 10 million Hispanics voted in the last election so out of the total number of Americans that vote they are only small dot on the paper.

I don't know what Romney will do if elected but I already know what Obama has done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or