U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-09-2007, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,755 posts, read 23,223,535 times
Reputation: 6092

Advertisements

Now this is a great example of how well discussions can go in this forum. You can disagree, but articulate a response on message.

 
Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
Reputation: 6264
LB I disagree.

Saganista -- if there are 12 to 38 million who have arrived in the last decade, then you can be pretty sure that many people you see are illegal.
 
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,697,044 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Now this is a great example of how well discussions can go in this forum. You can disagree, but articulate a response on message.
Yep it is great, when no one is mud slinging and name calling. Much more productive.
 
Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Good ol Georgia
348 posts, read 914,574 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Here is my solution to the illegal immigration situation.
Please bear (bare?) with me as I describe my idea before you jump to conclusions. Thanks.

First of all, allow anyone in the country who is here illegally immediate LEGAL status. No matter what country they are from.

To accomplish this, so that the illegals can move about freely, a card must be issued.

I would suggest that, anyone who wants amnesty be allowed to be granted it by following through with this action:

Each individual illegal immigrant must go to a selected location, be finger printed, DNA taken and have their mug shots taken (afterall, they are criminals...)

Then issue them a color coded license that is valid for 5 years. IF within those five years they are arrested for ANYTHING - minor or not, they are immediately deported and not allowed back into the country. If, like "most" illegals already here in the US, they stay out of trouble, they will be then be given full citizenship at the end of five years.

What this accomplishes, is this:

It allows the person to stay at whatever job they have now, AND they can begin to pay TAXES. They won't have to lie about status in the hospitals, they will actually have to be in the system like everyone else and pay up - or go bankrupt like other US citizens facing high hospitals bills. They'll have to have car insurance - just like everyone else.
If they are no longer allowed a free ride they may chose not to stay. But it will be their choice.
The employer (who is knowingly breaking the law) must pay the fees (workers compensation, etc) but shouldn't have to be forced to pay his employee any more than what he is already paying them. Because the illegal is free to go about his business without fear of being deportation he can then choose to either keep his job at his present pay or find another one.
This way prices will not raise substantially.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a beginning. We all know the illegals are NOT going anywhere. That the government will NEVER enforce the new laws to begin with. Neither illegals NOR employers will be punished. So why not just make it easier on everyone?
But (and I use this term lightly) track the illegals for a few years and if they have proven themselves, then heck, let them stay. If they have caused a ruckus, send them home.

Well you raise alot of good points and solutions. I don't think there will be a perfect solution. What I would like to do is deport all the illegals and tighten our border....then let them start from scratch...but I'm sure that will happen when pigs fly,lol...I'm not for amnesty in any way, shape or form because I think that is a slap in the face to the millions who worked hard to come here and become citizens. Plus, a large portion of the illegals that are here, have no desire to become an American Citizen.
But I do see alot of great ideas in your post....wouldn't it be great if our leaders put as much thought, time and energy into the immigration issue as we do lol
 
Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Cali
3,886 posts, read 5,996,235 times
Reputation: 2200
This just happens to be a very emotional issue. The frustration and anger is very real also. Sometimes its hard not to blow a gasket once in a while.
 
Old 10-09-2007, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,697,044 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Well you raise alot of good points and solutions. I don't think there will be a perfect solution. What I would like to do is deport all the illegals and tighten our border....then let them start from scratch...but I'm sure that will happen when pigs fly,lol...I'm not for amnesty in any way, shape or form because I think that is a slap in the face to the millions who worked hard to come here and become citizens. Plus, a large portion of the illegals that are here, have no desire to become an American Citizen.
But I do see alot of great ideas in your post....wouldn't it be great if our leaders put as much thought, time and energy into the immigration issue as we do lol
Yea, deportation isnt a reality, sadly. But we can make it very uncomfortable for them to be here. And I agree, no amnesty.
 
Old 10-09-2007, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,697,044 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
This just happens to be a very emotional issue. The frustration and anger is very real also. Sometimes its hard not to blow a gasket once in a while.
I have had to replace two keyboards so far!! I get mad doing my designs and take my anger at the program on the keyboard. So yep blowing a gasket happens!
 
Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Cali
3,886 posts, read 5,996,235 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yea, deportation isnt a reality, sadly. But we can make it very uncomfortable for them to be here. And I agree, no amnesty.
They should just enforce the laws that we have now. That should not be too hard to do.
 
Old 10-09-2007, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Cali
3,886 posts, read 5,996,235 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I have had to replace two keyboards so far!! I get mad doing my designs and take my anger at the program on the keyboard. So yep blowing a gasket happens!
Well you Nea1 are more than entitled to blow a few gaskets frankly with what happened to your son!!
 
Old 10-09-2007, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Good ol Georgia
348 posts, read 914,574 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
They should just enforce the laws that we have now. That should not be too hard to do.

If only they had enforced the laws we have, say 5-10 years ago, we wouldn't be in this mess. Makes me leary to believe that they will enforce them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top